Question on Nutrient strength.

• Thread starter Randyb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Randyb

I've read several post but it seems like theres a lot of conflicting info as to how high you should push the PPM using the UC.
I have a 12 bucket, 8 gal system using the full H@G line growing White widow max.
My first grow using the UC is still going on and I've made several mistakes along the way. First I started the PPM at between 4-500 which burned the roots, which seem to correct a bit by draining off 30 gal or so and replacing it with H20.
Then they appeared to have a cal-mag deficiency which now I think was just the results of the original nute burn again. They have finely started to bud after at-least 3 weeks using 4000 watts which seems to be 2 weeks later than anything I've ever grown before in dirt or flood tables. I have massive root growth now but back to my original question, How do I know how far to push the nute level ? I'm presently sitting around 400PPM and they are budding along nicely but I've read people going as high as 900-1000 with this system. Thanks for all replies.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
It's better to have a deficiency than to cook the ladies with to many salts (assuming your speaking chem). Start low and slow get to know the ladies.
When they start to rock and roll they will tell you when they want more.
It appears the most common deficiency in RDWC seams to be CAL/MAG.
This is due to the fact that the plant are growing at an abnormal rate and have an increased need to keep up with the rate of vegetative growth (thank's goes to Dizzle for pointing this out). With that in mind it would seam to me that the harder you push em, the more cal/mag will be required (to a point).
Keep it simple and take lots of notes.
FJ

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Just slowly bump it up and watch your ppms and ph it will tell you if its to hot I usually dont go above 850 ppm conv .5

T

Th3Jungl3Boy

I was having the same problem. They were vegetating and the PPM was at 500; 7 days after I raised to 800, which I thought would not be a big deal as they were already over 16 inch and was vegetating for months! Wrong, I started to see signs of Nutrient burning and had to drop it. They are in the 3 week of flower and PPM is only 650, if they just wanna this, fuck it, less money to spend in nutrients :)

R

Randyb

Today I had to toss the plants in bucket 2 and 10 which are both the second bucket away from the control bucket. They just decided to die on me in-spite of the bucket being so full of root mass. They appeared to have root slime on them and no other buckets are being affected or showing it anyway. What a fuckin mess to get the two out of the room.
I dumped 25 gallons and replaced with about 20 of straight H20. It's sitting at 300PPM and Im left scratching my head as to why and a mess tomorrow to clean up.

I'm about to dump H&G and try the Dutch Master line. Has anyone ever had this type of shit happen. Why not all the buckets, only 2 and the 2 across from one another, weird…

On another note, the root mass is incredible. I'm wondering if the 8gal buckets are to small for this strain. White Widow Max.

R

Randyb

I dont have any pic's, I stripped the plants of any buds for my hash bucket and Dumped the shit outside already. I will remember to take pic's should anything else happen. I'm questioning if maybe the air stones clogged as when I first bought them 4 out of 8 did not work. I think they were sunleaves 6" stones, Trash. They are better then what comes with the system but not by much.
The first buckets that exit the control buckets plants look great? The root mass has definitely grown into the pvc and can reach the next bucket. Thats 18" or so between buckets. The buckets are chuck full of roots, Im talking packed. The pump is way slow returning the water than when the plants were small and they still have another 6-8 weeks to go. Maybe this was a bad strain to use. This strain likes a 10 week flower.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I thought my plants were looking a little under fed at week 2 of veg and had a Cal-mag issue. I added 50ml of a & b Canna Aqua, 25ml Resatonic, 25lm Rhizotonic and some cal- mag. They started to look a little better, than got a message form UCMENOW warning me it was running too high. Went up to 650ppm and a few hours later 510ppm but after 2 days UCMnow was right too hot that was a week ago but since then it has gone from the 510 to 320ppm today. Every day I am home I take 3 to 5 readings each day. I won't do that again with the ppm when veging.

Sorry about all the pics I only wanted the first two but I just can't get rid of the others.

IMGP0911
IMGP0912
IMGP0913
IMGP0914
IMGP0915
IMGP0917
B

Bong Hit Willie

If your nutes are at 500ppm and two days later there at 350ppm you need to up your ppm! It works like this
change res set ppm at say 600ppm ph 5.9 run for 24hrs, now if you ppm rise and ph drops nutes are to strong. If ppm drop and ph rises, nutes are to weak.
But if your ppm and ph are basically stable then you have found the right mix for your plants. Then when topping off your res use pre mixed nutes to keep it at that level, if it starts to rise or fall adjust top off nutes as needed to bring it back to proper level.
This is how I set my system up and has worked great for me for years! Don't worry about the numbers just let the plant tell you what it needs and you will be fine.
Good luck
BHW

Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

Just slowly bump it up and watch your ppms and ph it will tell you if its to hot I usually dont go above 850 ppm conv .5

850 in flower right? Whats the highest you reach in veg?

I was having the same problem. They were vegetating and the PPM was at 500; 7 days after I raised to 800, which I thought would not be a big deal as they were already over 16 inch and was vegetating for months! Wrong, I started to see signs of Nutrient burning and had to drop it. They are in the 3 week of flower and PPM is only 650, if they just wanna this, fuck it, less money to spend in nutrients :)

What are the breakdowns of the 650? Like how much cal-mg and nutes :)

Thanks.

Sorry to hear you baby passed away, good thing you can harvest em into hash. A little smoke for the sadness of loosing a child.,

R

Randyb

Sorry to hear you baby passed away, good thing you can harvest em into hash. A little smoke for the sadness of loosing a child.,
That's some funny shit, hahaha I'm over freaking out but last night I was inconsolable, tear...

Mine was slime and not root rot. The system worked too well as the buckets were packed with roots so when I pulled the two plants out they came out as a block of roots, amazing. With the help of my hydro guy we may have tracked the problem to either wrong strain, vegging to long and using H&G Algen extract during veg and not flushing enough out when I flipped the light to flower. It's probably a combo of all.

With the 8 gal system I think you need a short flower and flip the lights sooner than later. I'm gonna give Afghani Kush a go next time and only flower for a week or 2 tops. I'm taking my lumps and learning...

CamelToeJoe

CamelToeJoe

I run Dyna-Gro

700 ppm at .5 conversion
or
980 ppm at .7 conversion

its been 700 since week 4 of veg and the plants are loving it.

R

RMCG

That's some funny shit, hahaha I'm over freaking out but last night I was inconsolable, tear...

Mine was slime and not root rot. The system worked too well as the buckets were packed with roots so when I pulled the two plants out they came out as a block of roots, amazing. With the help of my hydro guy we may have tracked the problem to either wrong strain, vegging to long and using H&G Algen extract during veg and not flushing enough out when I flipped the light to flower. It's probably a combo of all.

With the 8 gal system I think you need a short flower and flip the lights sooner than later. I'm gonna give Afghani Kush a go next time and only flower for a week or 2 tops. I'm taking my lumps and learning...

If it was slime, be prepared for more.

Its a type of algae that requires a regimen to wipe it out completely.

R

Randyb

If it was slime, be prepared for more.

Its a type of algae that requires a regimen to wipe it out completely.

Do you think I can get rid of it or at-least enough of it to allow the roots to breath if I use H2O2? I know I'll kill my useful bacteria but thats better than my girls dying.

H

happydude

hmmmm sounds strange I use full line of H&G in my ucxl13 12 planter and run my ppm up to 700 in veg and 1600-1700 in flower I bump them 100 ppm per week or when the ph starts droping man i wish you had some pics

R

RMCG

Do you think I can get rid of it or at-least enough of it to allow the roots to breath if I use H2O2? I know I'll kill my useful bacteria but thats better than my girls dying.

Seems like H2O2 does not touch it.

Zone can keep it at bay, Physan 20 will wipe it out.

Seems that folks used Physan 20 to nuke it, then zone to keep it sterile OR bennies to keep it under control.

Paraphrasing this LONG BUT GOOD read here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259

U

UCtestn

Lets not forget that higher PPM usually means lower DO. It's hard to keep DO high in salted water... low DO = problems. This is why SO many people have better success with LOOOW PPM count... DO goes up.

I'm still researching RDWC since I plan on experimenting on a 48 light flip here soon. ;-)

Keep your PPM low for more reasons then just feeding in the UC.

R

RMCG

RMCG, thanks for the info, I just bought a gallon of ebay.

A gallon will last you a very long time for fighting the slime.

Double check that thread, but seems like the dosage was 3ml/25g of water or something VERY small. Run it for a few hours/day then flush/drain/flush and renute. Some have lost plants from it (or from slime damage) so make sure you read that thread.

Top Bottom