Question on PH levels and flux

• Thread starter Badchoice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

PH is an incredibly complex thing, and I am actually not expecting an answer that fits all conditions. There are just so many variables. The primary thing we are attempting to optimize with PH value is the uptake of nutrients by the plant. The nutes being used, if they are chealated (and how, EDDPA? EDTA?) or if you are running an organic nute base that requires the root zone to be alive with microorganisms have a big impact. Then how do you measure "best" result? Most vegetable mass per tent? Best cannabinoid production? Higher level of terpenes? If I am trying to maximize CBD or THCV production, does PH have an impact? Dunno, but I'd like to. And I agree different cultivars may require different PH levels for best production. I also think there could be a potential change to PH as it goes thru it's life cycle that could benefit. Flower = 5.8, Veg = 6.2, etc. Early on, Nitrogen is more important... yada yada yada.

This whole thing is like a balloon, if you squeeze it on one end, it will bulge out on the other. Everything has to be in balance for the optimum grow. Myself - I'm still searching for the perfect balance and open to any evidence based input! It's a rabbit hole you can fall down and live in if you are not careful.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yup cannabis topic at its finest... more questions than answers. I agree with @AnselAdams we want a ph to drift. Personally I like to see a ph drift of 0.2. If all is healthy typically it will drift up... now I have seen myself in flower it drift down and as long as roots and plants are healthy and eating/drinking well I leave it be. The can be many reasons but the forst thing i check would be gas exchange and I have a decent amount of surface movement. Come to think of it just now as the roots fill the buckets this could have been my issue as carbonic acid can build up from bacterial respiration, root respiration and decaying organics.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Actually you do want the swing.

Hey Ansel, thanks for chiming in. I've read that and thought that too. But I think it is pretty clear that the dirt on the side of the mountain in Afghanistan doesn't change PH up and down like that, we are trying to push plants to do more than nature would on it's own.

Does anyone know of any literature that is something to the effect of:

Humulene requires calcium and phosporus
Caryophyllene needs zinc and boron

Those are examples, not statements. I doubt the info exists, but thought I would ask.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yup cannabis topic at its finest... more questions than answers.

Come to think of it just now as the roots fill the buckets this could have been my issue as carbonic acid can build up from bacterial respiration, root respiration and decaying organics.

I run CO2, and my bubblers pull from outside air to try to keep the CO2 out of the water as much as possible. I also run H2O2 - sterile - and use properly chealated nutes, trying to limit variables as much as possible.

But yeah, this is a great conversation, just wish I had more answers. Maybe I'll do some of my own testing. I have 2 identical 4x8 tents.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey Ansel, thanks for chiming in. I've read that and thought that too. But I think it is pretty clear that the dirt on the side of the mountain in Afghanistan doesn't change PH up and down like that, we are trying to push plants to do more than nature would on it's own.

Does anyone know of any literature that is something to the effect of:

Humulene requires calcium and phosporus
Caryophyllene needs zinc and boron

Those are examples, not statements. I doubt the info exists, but thought I would ask.
Your right it doesn't but the plants and microbes attracted to the roots do so in essence they actually do change in the rootzone

Badchoice

Badchoice

PH is an incredibly complex thing, and I am actually not expecting an answer that fits all conditions. There are just so many variables. The primary thing we are attempting to optimize with PH value is the uptake of nutrients by the plant. The nutes being used, if they are chealated (and how, EDDPA? EDTA?) or if you are running an organic nute base that requires the root zone to be alive with microorganisms have a big impact. Then how do you measure "best" result? Most vegetable mass per tent? Best cannabinoid production? Higher level of terpenes? If I am trying to maximize CBD or THCV production, does PH have an impact? Dunno, but I'd like to. And I agree different cultivars may require different PH levels for best production. I also think there could be a potential change to PH as it goes thru it's life cycle that could benefit. Flower = 5.8, Veg = 6.2, etc. Early on, Nitrogen is more important... yada yada yada.

This whole thing is like a balloon, if you squeeze it on one end, it will bulge out on the other. Everything has to be in balance for the optimum grow. Myself - I'm still searching for the perfect balance and open to any evidence based input! It's a rabbit hole you can fall down and live in if you are not careful.
Sounds like we all willing to take the red pill and just see how far down the hole goes lol

Badchoice

Badchoice

I run CO2, and my bubblers pull from outside air to try to keep the CO2 out of the water as much as possible. I also run H2O2 - sterile - and use properly chealated nutes, trying to limit variables as much as possible.

But yeah, this is a great conversation, just wish I had more answers. Maybe I'll do some of my own testing. I have 2 identical 4x8 tents.
I would be scared to see a plant type that likes the high ph like 6.5 to 7 I bet that be one funky ass plant but Would be cool to Side by side grow with a different strain that like ph really low like 4.8 to 5.4ish and see what kind of difference you might see in bud forming, aroma taste, ash test “” and etc etc

Top Bottom