Question on seeds from a hybrid

• Thread starter Paul63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Paul63

Paul63

I found on seed in a 50 50 Hybrid last year and planted it in a 2.5 gallon pot that I then buried in my garden - over the summer with some topping it grew to about 6 ft with a sativa appearance - it never really got bushy but did have large long colas and I got about 6 oz of decent flower - sativa type of effects - any ways I have found 2 seeds (so far) and germinated them - only one sprouted in mid November - well it’s been growing pretty good but it is extremely bushy compared to its mother - more like an indica - is that typical?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It's certainly not unheard of.

You can get all kinds of freaks through accidental pollination.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I found on seed in a 50 50 Hybrid last year and planted it in a 2.5 gallon pot that I then buried in my garden - over the summer with some topping it grew to about 6 ft with a sativa appearance - it never really got bushy but did have large long colas and I got about 6 oz of decent flower - sativa type of effects - any ways I have found 2 seeds (so far) and germinated them - only one sprouted in mid November - well it’s been growing pretty good but it is extremely bushy compared to its mother - more like an indica - is that typical?
Yes.
If you reverse a plant to get fem seeds from a strain, you won't get an identical plant, you'll get phenos of the parent lineage. The same is true of seeds you find in bud. So a seed from a RUNTZ bud will give you phenos similar to it's parent (Zkittles & Gelato) and even further back in it's ancestry. That's why growers love f1 seeds to work with.

I have a Thai pheno Northern Lights that I've had for about 5 years now.

All very smokable, so enjoy it. :)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes the seed is growing into a different phenotype. Leaning more towards the indica in the hybrid.
I remember the explanation from science class. It has to do with dominant and recessive traits. For example if you cross 2 plants, one has AA genes and the other has Aa genes, then the offspring will either be AA or Aa as there isn't a way for the small "a" gene to be expressed because its recessive. However in future generations where Aa and Aa form the parentage, the following genes will be expressed AA, Aa, and aa. This is what your seeds are doing ... they are showing the different gene expressions which is known in cannabis as its "phenotype."

Paul63

Paul63

I remember the explanation from science class. It has to do with dominant and recessive traits. For example if you cross 2 plants, one has AA genes and the other has Aa genes, then the offspring will either be AA or Aa as there isn't a way for the small "a" gene to be expressed because its recessive. However in future generations where Aa and Aa form the parentage, the following genes will be expressed AA, Aa, and aa. This is what your seeds are doing ... they are showing the different gene expressions which is known in cannabis as its "phenotype."
Now that you mention that I recall that lesson as well - Makes sense

Madmax

Madmax

Haha..I might of wagged or skipping class to have a ciggy with mates ..

Top Bottom