Question pertaining best soil for seedlings

• Thread starter Creep420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Creep420

Creep420

Hello all! I am about ready to harvest my first crop. They look great!
I am about to start on my second but am not sure what soil to use for seedlings. I want to stick with soils, as It is what I am comfortable with.
The first grow I burned the seedlings by using FF. They lived through it but I lost a lot of growth. I would like to skip past that issue this round if possible and would like to pick your brains as to which soils work best at this stage.
Thanks In Advance!

Phylex

Phylex

Hello all! I am about ready to harvest my first crop. They look great!
I am about to start on my second but am not sure what soil to use for seedlings. I want to stick with soils, as It is what I am comfortable with.
The first grow I burned the seedlings by using FF. They lived through it but I lost a lot of growth. I would like to skip past that issue this round if possible and would like to pick your brains as to which soils work best at this stage.
Thanks In Advance!
Happy Frog is easier on seedlings rather than Ocean Forest

10w30

10w30

Supporter
canada 2nd grow, mine (seedlings) burnt abit using pro-mix pre-fertilized, this time i used peat pellets then, in the same promix soil and they didnt burn, (thinking the pellet acts like a buffer)

Creep420

Creep420

canada 2nd grow, mine (seedlings) burnt abit using pro-mix pre-fertilized, this time i used peat pellets then, in the same promix soil and they didnt burn, (thinking the pellet acts like a buffer)

Do you mean those round cylinder pressed sphagnum blocks that grow as you add water?
And do you put the seedling directly in this soil mix after they germinate? Or germinate directly in this soil

Madbud

Madbud

Agree with phylex on Happy Frog but be ready for some fungus gnats, also i’ve used miraclegro seedling soil, very good mix, no time release nutes like their potting soil has. Jiffy seedling mix works well but again fungus gnats. Forget peat pellets imo, too hard to water after the transplant unless you break it apart. Germinte right in the soil with a little warmth. A trick i used was a solo cup inside a coffee can. Nice even air temperature for two or three days.

Creep420

Creep420

Agree with phylex on Happy Frog but be ready for some fungus gnats, also i’ve used miraclegro seedling soil, very good mix, no time release nutes like their potting soil has. Jiffy seedling mix works well but again fungus gnats. Forget peat pellets imo, too hard to water after the transplant unless you break it apart. Germinte right in the soil with a little warmth. A trick i used was a solo cup inside a coffee can. Nice even air temperature for two or three days.

Thanks man!
I ordered some Happy Frog soil. I have used the Miraclegrow Seed Starter mix with great results, but after some time I transplanted them into Miraclegrow potting mix as they grew larger, big mistake. At the time I did not know of the Time Released ferts. I know now lol.. I switched them promptly to FF and bam... it got worse. I then learned how FF can be a bit hot for young plants as well. So surprised they grew out of it and thrived months after.
Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom