Questions about proper fertilizer use

• Thread starter augdawg507
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
augdawg507

augdawg507

Hey guys. I have questions about fertilizer use in a peat moss base.

So a few days after transplanting my seedlings from miracle gro (I know my b), it occurred to me that peat moss doesn’t supply any nutrients to the plant. I went and picked up 2 different fertilizers that were as close to a safe 3-1-1 ratio as possible. I got Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1, and Dr. Earth pure gold 1-1-1. Dr earth has a whole page about using their products for cannabis growing, but I’m still hesitant after putting them in miracle gro. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using these, or if the only thing I need to be concerned about is the NPK ratio. It is definitely worth mentioning that after the transplant one of my (hopefully girls) is thriving, while the other one is likely not going to make it. The one doing better had more miracle gro left on it when I transplanted it, but that might just be because I didn’t damage the roots.
So what do you guys think? Are these fertilizers safe? Do I need to fertilize in the first place? Let me know. I’ve included images of both of the fertilizers. As well as my healthy and unhealthy plants. Thanks!

Questions about proper fertilizer use
Questions about proper fertilizer use 2
Questions about proper fertilizer use 3
Questions about proper fertilizer use 4
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Should be fine. Don't stress about the Miracle Gro. I know it's a dirty word in the cannabis world but it's not like nothing grows in MG product. I guess the backlash is that so many newbs go to it first when there are better options.

My opinion is if you're going for a simple solution go with GH Floranova. I know a lot of people swear by other products and I'm glad it works for them but over the years that I've been growing I always come back to it for its simplicity and its completeness in providing what the plants essential needs are. More important than what nutrient to use is WHEN to use it. Nutrient is nutrient. The plant doesn't know which is the high dollar boutique nutes and Miracle Gro. They both provide the same nutrients at the molecular level. Sure some are chelated or some other process that increases their bioavailability but in the scheme of things all those things tend to even out at the end.

Right now is the time you need to be concentrating on root development. Your sick plant is probably having some root issues and is trying to adjust to the new environment. Your nute choices show lots of Nitrogen in the ratio. You're going to need more Phosphorous and Potassium to aid in the nitrogen uptake and to support the functions needed for root and foliage development. My suggestion would be to innoculate the soil with some Mychorrazae and run a 2 week program of root enhancers like Advanced Nutrients Voodoo Juice along with a higher ratio of P and K. Let the basic A-B ratios you see in other brands be your guide. For example, the nute I mentioned, Floranova has a ratio of 7 - 4 - 10. This is their basic grow ratio. This will set the plant up for explosive foliage growth.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You need K equal or as high as double your N. P about half of N.

A proven ratio is 2-1-3 or close to. But even something like 4-4-4 will or even ratio works fine for most soil/prat grows.

Imo your way to low in K and id add a PK boost

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey guys. I have questions about fertilizer use in a peat moss base.

So a few days after transplanting my seedlings from miracle gro (I know my b), it occurred to me that peat moss doesn’t supply any nutrients to the plant. I went and picked up 2 different fertilizers that were as close to a safe 3-1-1 ratio as possible. I got Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1, and Dr. Earth pure gold 1-1-1. Dr earth has a whole page about using their products for cannabis growing, but I’m still hesitant after putting them in miracle gro. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using these, or if the only thing I need to be concerned about is the NPK ratio. It is definitely worth mentioning that after the transplant one of my (hopefully girls) is thriving, while the other one is likely not going to make it. The one doing better had more miracle gro left on it when I transplanted it, but that might just be because I didn’t damage the roots.
So what do you guys think? Are these fertilizers safe? Do I need to fertilize in the first place? Let me know. I’ve included images of both of the fertilizers. As well as my healthy and unhealthy plants. Thanks!
I'm thinking that if you are going to be growing and this is the start you should use a nute line that provides everything you need. I use the General hydroponics 3 part. I follow their feed charts and it simplifies the grow. When you start adding this that and the other thing you can get lost and get deficiencies that can be hard to diagnose. Once you've grown a few and get comfortable with the process you can try new things to manipulate your plants growth. There are a number of good companies with a full line of products with everything you need. Start with the basics and go from there.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I'm thinking that if you are going to be growing and this is the start you should use a nute line that provides everything you need. I use the General hydroponics 3 part. I follow their feed charts and it simplifies the grow. When you start adding this that and the other thing you can get lost and get deficiencies that can be hard to diagnose. Once you've grown a few and get comfortable with the process you can try new things to manipulate your plants growth. There are a number of good companies with a full line of products with everything you need. Start with the basics and go from there.
Dis right here....^^^^^^

GH 3 part is also a great, reliable way to get it right!

Top Bottom