Questions in tap water and Kind Soil?

• Thread starter BobbHimself
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BobbHimself

BobbHimself

Just completed my first grow using an attempt at home made super soil. After a number of mistakes, I was able to harvest a tiny bit of some delicious bud, so I'll call it a win.

For my next grow, I'll be using Kind Soil and Coco Loco. Has anyone had any experience using this combination, and what were your results?

Also, a question about my tap water. It comes from the tap at [email protected]. After running it through a Britta filter, it's at [email protected]. After sitting out for 12 hours, the filtered water then tested @6.8pH. Will the Britta filtered tap water be good?

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

It was the drop in pH with just the filter that had me most interested.

threatco

threatco

It was the drop in pH with just the filter that had me most interested.

at that ppm PH can change super fast from a tiny change.

In other words, it's not buffered at all. It will just swing towards the PH of what-ever your nutrients or soil is.

Meaning the PH of the "unbuffered" water in is not all that relevant. You would have to test the runoff to see what's happening after it gets in the soil.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wouldnt mix the kind potting soil with coco loco. Isnt kind a complete “super soil” meant for water only?

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

Its meant to be layered. A 10lb layer on the bottom to a 10gal pot, and then fill the rest with a base medium.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Its meant to be layered. A 10lb layer on the bottom to a 10gal pot, and then fill the rest with a base medium.

I never found that to be a good idea. Roots grow straight down to the bottom of the pot and then branch out.

But i get what you are doing. Still dont think you should mix that much coco with peat.

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

at that ppm PH can change super fast from a tiny change.

In other words, it's not buffered at all. It will just swing towards the PH of what-ever your nutrients or soil is.

Meaning the PH of the "unbuffered" water in is not all that relevant. You would have to test the runoff to see what's happening after it gets in the soil.

Just made a slurry with the Coco Loco and filtered water, and let it sit for an hour. Tested at 6.5pH

BobbHimself

BobbHimself

Day 34. Topped once 2 weeks ago, and transplanted her into the final 10gal fabric pot 1 week ago.

20200626 202937
20200626 202919
20200626 202852
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
"Home Grown" soil... I use Baccto, add some perlite and bagged cow manure. Then mix it up. Let it sit for a week. Results are pretty good so far this year. This is my first white widow coming into her cola. They usually don't need any nutes until the 3rd - 4th week of flowering. Just depends on what the plant wants I guess.

WW
BobbHimself

BobbHimself

My first attempt at homemade soil failed miserably. From mites to overly hot soil, i bit off more than i could chew for my first grow. I wanted to eliminate a few opportunities to screw up on for the second.
So far, she's been given only water, except once she got an AACT after transplant.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
My first attempt at homemade soil failed miserably. From mites to overly hot soil, i bit off more than i could chew for my first grow. I wanted to eliminate a few opportunities to screw up on for the second.
So far, she's been given only water, except once she got an AACT after transplant.

Diatomaceous Earth. Sorry left that one out... Helps with the pests in the soil. It's all good. I learned in dirt, switched to hydro, then played with aero, then switched back to dirt. You'll find what works best for you :)

I'm an old guy so time to finish isn't important to me. I like the journey involved with learning the characteristics of a new strain just as much as I enjoy raising up an old familiar "friend". Had the opportunity to get back on an old school strain of White Widow and am thrilled with what's going on with it. That and Jack Herrer were two strains I used to grow religiously because Emery from Canada had the freaking SEEDS back in the day lol!

But it's like anything else in this world, once you find the techniques you are comfortable with and work well for you, then you'll get into this groove. It's still fun to stare at them every now and then. But for the most part, the obsession goes away and there isn't much worry much if a tip burns or whatever. Adjustments become second nature. I think the most important part is to have fun with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom