Questions on root pruning/sheering at harvest time

• Thread starter Studio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Studio

I was having a discussion with my dad last week about how my tomato plants this year wouldn't ripen. He mentioned a farmers trick, where if the plant is on its way out and the fruit won't ripen, you can take a spade and sheer off the roots at the base of the stem, shoking the plant into ripening it's fruit for that last harvest.

I see people having to harvest early due to various problems, wouldn't it be beneficial to use this method then?

Is it beneficial to do this to the plant at harvest time or just before?

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

I was having a discussion with my dad last week about how my tomato plants this year wouldn't ripen. He mentioned a farmers trick, where if the plant is on its way out and the fruit won't ripen, you can take a spade and sheer off the roots at the base of the stem, shoking the plant into ripening it's fruit for that last harvest.

I see people having to harvest early due to various problems, wouldn't it be beneficial to use this method then?

Is it beneficial to do this to the plant at harvest time or just before?
What do you mean the plants wouldn't ripen? you mean the fruits? The tomato fruits tend to ripen on or off the vine it takes up to 30 days..Just patience

S

Studio

My plant didn't do great, but we did get a few tomatoes. I had already decided to get rid of the plant anyway since I didn't know it can transfer PM to cannabis plants and shouldn't be grown near one another. The few tomatoes left on the vine just would not ripen and they weren't really growing any bigger. But that's beside the point.

What I'm really asking is, if one has to chop their cannabis early, would it benefit to do this to your plant before chopping or does the shock of being cut and hung essentially do this already?

R

ritoMox

My plant didn't do great, but we did get a few tomatoes. I had already decided to get rid of the plant anyway since I didn't know it can transfer PM to cannabis plants and shouldn't be grown near one another. The few tomatoes left on the vine just would not ripen and they weren't really growing any bigger. But that's beside the point.

What I'm really asking is, if one has to chop their cannabis early, would it benefit to do this to your plant before chopping or does the shock of being cut and hung essentially do this already?
I had a friend that swore by the root-chop method shortly before harvest. My understanding (from his explanation) is it is a last-minute stressor to cause a non-polinated female to pump out extra juice in a last-ditch effort to attract pollinators. True or Bro, his smoke was the best we ever had back then. As far as a method to cause early ripening of buds, seems you'd be short-changing your haul.

S

Studio

I had a friend that swore by the root-chop method shortly before harvest. My understanding (from his explanation) is it is a last-minute stressor to cause a non-polinated female to pump out extra juice in a last-ditch effort to attract pollinators. True or Bro, his smoke was the best we ever had back then. As far as a method to cause early ripening of buds, seems you'd be short-changing your haul.
Aweso
I wouldn't think it would be good as a shortcut, no. In the event that one has to chop early due to unfortunate circumstances, they should probably consider shaving the roots first.

Cool to hear that someone has tried this though.

R

ritoMox

From what I've heard, it goes way back. I've heard other reasons for chopping the roots like that, but I can't say first hand if any of those reasons are legit. But I'm sure that some of the good folk here know✌️

Top Bottom