Questions on topping a second time

• Thread starter Crimsontide333
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

A couple of questions.this is my second year growing and the first time using growing technics.1) after topping the main stalk the first time, if there are not 3 nodes deep on the two main stalks do I top again or wait til 3 nodes.
Also 2) do I only top the main stalk or do I top other branches below the main top

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Waiting for 3 nodes is only a rule of thumb. You can top after 2 nodes if your plant is happy growing the side growths. You’ll probably not want to top the lower non main stem side growths but it’s really a matter of how vigorous the side growths are doing. I’ve had topped plants branch nicely and some plants with really weak side growths. FYI…I usually top my plants 3 times which yields 8 tops. Good luck!

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

Waiting for 3 nodes is only a rule of thumb. You can top after 2 nodes if your plant is happy growing the side growths. You’ll probably not want to top the lower non main stem side growths but it’s really a matter of how vigorous the side growths are doing. I’ve had topped plants branch nicely and some plants with really weak side growths. FYI…I usually top my plants 3 times which yields 8 tops. Good luck!
I appreciate that

D

dirty.joe

At how many nodes was the first topping ?
Do you have a need to keep the plant under a certain height ? If the answer to that is no, and depending on how many main branches you have now, then I would not top it any more. A plant with 6 or 8 main branches is plenty bushy, and there is such a thing as too bushy, and you'll have to start pruning off many lower branches because of competition, and crowding, not to mention smaller buds, and a pain to trim at harvest time. I would think 4, maybe 6 main branches would be the perfect outdoor plant, trimming off branches pointed toward the center.

My experience, if you care. Two years ago I did not top, (and for many years before that) well except for one plant that got too tall and I feared it would be seen, I topped it at the 10th node. Those 4 plants averaged a half pound each, and took about an hour each to trim. Pretty chunky buds.
The next year I topped my 4 rooftop plants at the 5th node, removed the two lowest branches (for cloning) leaving me 8 main branches each, those plants also averaged a half pound each, but took about 4 hours each to trim. I was really not that happy with the small buds, and the extra work of trimming them.

Two pics, first one from two years ago, and the second pic is from last year.
IMG 2855

IMG 3098

OK, and one from this year, taken one week ago (may 22). I do not plan to top them, but I will if they get too tall, prefer to keep them from being visible from the road. I also got bigger pots, and an earlier start than the last two years, so I'm looking for a pound each this year
IMG 3230

Crimsontide333

Crimsontide333

To answer your questions I topped at the 6 th node. I live on the side of a small mountain in Viginia that's now legal to grow. I have an area outside that is approx. 30ft × 40ft. Off hand I don't know how many main side branches there are , but last time I measured it , it was 26" tall & I've only topped it once and it will be 2 weeks from being topped, this Friday. I have 8 plants Im caring for. Your allowed 4 per household and there are 3 houses here.im also using fox farm nuts big grow, big, big bloom and tiger bloom.I started them inside on March 5th and moved them outside for the season on May 8th or ninth. The strain is grandaddy purple

Latest posts

Top Bottom