Radiant/Infrared heaters for tent - can they be used?

• Thread starter SativaMornings
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SativaMornings

SativaMornings

Looking for an energy efficient method to heat up my 4x4. Out of all the various heater technology out there, infrared seems to be the most efficient. However, since infrared doesn't heat up the air, only the objects in the room, would this work? Does any one have experience using Infrared heaters in their tent with any success? Does the plant respond well to this type of heat, or does it need a more traditional (eg: convection) method of heating?

Madmax

Madmax

They are efficient but once they turn off room cools pretty quickly..unlike tube or oil filled heaters that still keep room warm once turned off..i like tube ones but im in an outdoor shed its 200watts keeps my room at 17-18 deg c in winter when lights off.another 50 watts it would d b really good as it takes awhile to climb in a 900mm by 1500mm 2.100 ceiling room..can get all different lengths even 2-3 bar..

SativaMornings

SativaMornings

For a tent heat the room not the tent. If you heat the tent your just removing the warmed air from tent

The problem is that the room is a large basement with no partitioned off rooms, it's my only option.

SativaMornings

SativaMornings

They are efficient but once they turn off room cools pretty quickly..unlike tube or oil filled heaters that still keep room warm once turned off..i like tube ones but im in an outdoor shed its 200watts keeps my room at 17-18 deg c in winter when lights off.another 50 watts it would d b really good as it takes awhile to climb in a 900mm by 1500mm 2.100 ceiling room..can get all different lengths even 2-3 bar..

That's what I was afraid of. I may also build a foam insulation 'wrapper' around the tent to help contain some of the heat. Of course, most of it will get vented out through the exhaust fan.

I like the tube heaters, they are relatively low power but do a nice job. However, they are almost next to impossible to find in the states. Any recommendations?

Madmax

Madmax

Can get them in uk but one thing i know that they are 240v and you guys only run 120 so thats why your not seeing them..was going to mention this in my post but clean forgot bro.uno you guys got everything bar the kitchen sink in the states lol and im amazed that yous dont have some sort of tube heaters available...

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Looking for an energy efficient method to heat up my 4x4. Out of all the various heater technology out there, infrared seems to be the most efficient. However, since infrared doesn't heat up the air, only the objects in the room, would this work? Does any one have experience using Infrared heaters in their tent with any success? Does the plant respond well to this type of heat, or does it need a more traditional (eg: convection) method of heating?
I use one or two of those reptile heating bulbs when it gets really cold, does the job

Madmax

Madmax

Well you got me interested in those beachwalker .i thought they would muck with the plants when lights off.ive just made a small grow box and have been thinking what i can put in there to keep seedling warm at night..

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Well you got me interested in those beachwalker .i thought they would muck with the plants when lights off.ive just made a small grow box and have been thinking what i can put in there to keep seedling warm at night..
You've got to get the heat emitters, not the light emitting kind, and they require a special porcelain base

Screenshot 20200823 135610 DuckDuckGo

Madmax

Madmax

Thanks man.ive just googled and there heaps of sizes in infra red.25 watt would near do the trick..youve just solved my problem bro..awesome..

Cheers max

SativaMornings

SativaMornings

Can get them in uk but one thing i know that they are 240v and you guys only run 120 so thats why your not seeing them..was going to mention this in my post but clean forgot bro.uno you guys got everything bar the kitchen sink in the states lol and im amazed that yous dont have some sort of tube heaters available...

Seriously, right? I mean, come on it's not like it's some secret European technology! I've read that you can use one of those power plug kits to change the outlet, but not sure of the impact to the tube (besides less wattage I'd assume). May be worth a shot.

SativaMornings

SativaMornings

I use one or two of those reptile heating bulbs when it gets really cold, does the job

I was also looking at those, but those are also infrared. Based on the post somewhere above, sounds like I'll have quick heat loss once the thermostat shuts them off.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I was also looking at those, but those are also infrared. Based on the post somewhere above, sounds like I'll have quick heat loss once the thermostat shuts them off.
Maybe I don't know about that? But I know that just two 75 watters bring my 5×5 tents temperature up 5 or 6 degrees on the coldest of nights, and more than that on average winter nights, which is exactly what I'm looking for

Recommend the bases with a dimmer switch because I either turn them both down or just use one on a normal winter's night

These may not be for everybody's application; They're not going to provide a tropical heatwave for equatorial sativas, but they will bring 68° up to the low 70's, and they save a lot of electricity over that big oil-filled radiator type I used to use

SativaMornings

SativaMornings

Maybe I don't know about that? But I know that just two 75 watters bring my 5×5 tents temperature up 5 or 6 degrees on the coldest of nights, and more than that on average winter nights, which is exactly what I'm looking for

Recommend the bases with a dimmer switch because I either turn them both down or just use one on a normal winter's night

These may not be for everybody's application; They're not going to provide a tropical heatwave for equatorial sativas, but they will bring 68° up to the low 70's, and they save a lot of electricity over that big oil-filled radiator type I used to use

I'll do a bit more research on heat drop off with infrared. I also need to see what thermostat options there are, since the probe wouldn't be measure ambient temp, rather the infrared would be directly heating up the probe at a constant rate.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'll do a bit more research on heat drop off with infrared. I also need to see what thermostat options there are, since the probe wouldn't be measure ambient temp, rather the infrared would be directly heating up the probe at a constant rate.
I've seen tube heaters too but I've never used them I think they're called 'greenhouse heating tubes', good luck!

Madmax

Madmax

Those 240v heaters wont work properly when your only getting 110v-120v supply.have a google and you will find out.it will work but only about half the required rating.

Madmax

Madmax

Those ones Beachwalker posted arnt infra red @SativaMornings ..not those red ones..just went to reptile shop and bought a white one..i was a little confused till beachwalker put those ceramic ones up..the ceramic just covers the tube inside it.

Top Bottom