Rain too heavy to pull tarps?

• Thread starter Luckywelive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Luckywelive

The forecast shows 5 days of rain ahead of us and we pull tarps by hand. We struggled with six people to pull these 4x 110 foot houses.
My question is, would you either

1. leave the tarps on (black out) and just use supplementary lighting for the few days? (not HPS but simple led garden light bulbs)
or
2. Pull the tarps and leave them off (9 hours of dark, 15 hours light)

Which is more harmful? Too many hours of light during flower or not having adequate lighting during daytime hours?

Any advice is welcomed.

Cheers from Mendocino.

Dan789

Dan789

If when growing indoors inside a tent, we can get a plant to re-veg with a light leak, I’d say your better off leaving the tarps on, with timed 12 hour supplemental light. Evidently you don’t want to continue to remove the tarps daily as you must have been doing, the other option of five days of 15 hour muted sunlight will have your plants re-vegging. Good luck.

chemistry

chemistry

Stick up a bit of clear tarp and just pull over your shading for your dark period as normal.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

easier just to run a guide wire up high put tarp on were you can open or close yourself

chemistry

chemistry

Just read it again, thought had static houses with pull over covers, l'd motorise the houses with an electric motor or chain them to the back of my truck, think I'd take the rain with your options. lol Can't rain all the time.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm not sure I understand? Can you elaborate?
Cheers.
put 2 poles in the ground,tie off a tight line on each end,throw tarp over the line and use like a shower curtain,unless i didnt read right you said out door houses,i just asume you have like a hoop house with no top,what ive described is the same as a clothes line,giving away my age here,you can use same method for shade cloth in the blistering summer months using about a 30% clothe

L

Luckywelive

put 2 poles in the ground,tie off a tight line on each end,throw tarp over the line and use like a shower curtain,unless i didnt read right you said out door houses,i just asume you have like a hoop house with no top,what ive described is the same as a clothes line,giving away my age here,you can use same method for shade cloth in the blistering summer months using about a 30% clothe
I gotchu now.
We have outdoor covered greenhouses 25x110

L

Luckywelive

I gotchu now.
We have outdoor covered greenhouses 25x110
When water is on the surface of the greenhouse, it becomes a suction when pulling the tarp over it. Throwing a 150 foot tarp isn't possible. We ha e to drag it over the tops and once it gets about half way the suction is so strong that it's impossible to pull.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

When water is on the surface of the greenhouse, it becomes a suction when pulling the tarp over it. Throwing a 150 foot tarp isn't possible. We ha e to drag it over the tops and once it gets about half way the suction is so strong that it's impossible to pull.
if it is commercial grade tarps as in used on trucks,use a comalong,be easier on the back,but still the air gap between would be less with a guide wire down the center and you would only need 1 other person on other side of the house when you want to slide it back for sunlight,fold the tarp were it slides out even,say you got the tarp nice folded and you have say 2 or 3 guide wires above the house,2 people could lift the tarp over the guide lines then one on each side start walking the length of house,more guide lines you have easier it will slide back and forth

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

then when you want to open it,do 4ft at a time and bring back towards you,as you get 4 more ft stack that on other 4 ft and so on even better than that is grommets attached to tarp and guide wire feed threw them and you just slide it,wit 1 guide running down the middle,tarp will just be supported and sit on it,the 2 lines on the sides will have the wired going threw the grommets if you get what i mean

Latest posts

Top Bottom