Rain water?

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

A mate of mine said he uses rain water for his plants whenever he can - what's the view on using it?

Am worried that I might be bringing in all kinds of crap from outside (fungus spores, mites, any other nasties I don't want near my plants) by using rain water. If I do, what level of filtration do I need to run it through? Presumably there's a lot more badness in there other than the visible stuff?? Does boiling ruin it?

Or sod it and use tap water because it's just not worth it?

F

flava

I use rainwater at one location. I still use sterlising agents like peroxide or pythof though just to be sure, it is a small price to pay for a perfect grow. The only problem I found was that there was no trace elements which are usually in town water (my town water measures .2 ec), and so some plants showed deficiencies in cal and or mag. This wasn't a big deal and I correct with some Epsom salts easily.

F

FastForward

Cheers Flava - did you bother to filter it through gauze or cheesecloth first?

hubcap

hubcap

i use it.
untreated.
from gutter to storage drum (sheltered from elements and insects/pets,etc)
to soil.

simply skim off the top letting the debris rest at the bottom.
if im feeling kinky ill add a few air stones.......

funny thing is....
its pH usually lands at 6.6-6.7 (slightly acidic)
straight from mutha natures tap.

the way i see it....
plants have been drinking it for millenia (albeit before human pollution)
why change what aint broke, right?

.......besides, its free.

i havent heard anyone have adverse effects from using it(rainwater)
(if so.........move. ........for your healths sake.)

good luck

-h.c-

tojocam

tojocam

Im with hubcap give all my plants on the last run and this run rain water and they love it .

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I collect rainwater too, water bill is much more palatable now. Saving up for winter as we speak...

G

green

yea i collect rain water to .good stuff .dont filter or purify with tabs.
the plants love it.if its in short supply i add about 10 percent to tap water.

F

FastForward

Well, it's been pissing down with rain here...might as well make the best of a shitty summer and setup a water catcher of sorts.

How do you guys do it? Was planning on a couple of piece of plastic corrugated sheeting and a water barrel.

G

GDS StonerBoy

This is something i often wonder about as well. In my area we have been getting rain just about every single day. I always think about collecting it but i didnt know what the cons of rain water were. If i can use rainwater minus the pest, then why not use it?!

Like Hub stated "plants have been drinking it for millenia (albeit before human pollution)
why change what aint broke, right?". So i guess i'll collect a bit on the side for awhile, i might as well get something out of the horrible weather here.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
Does anyone know if i can use the water from a dehumidifier to water plants? Do i need to filter it or can i just use it straight from the dehumidifer. i think i read jorge say that you could use the water from a dehumidifier because it has a really low ec, but do you need to filter this water at all before using it?any help would be great..peace Burn

K

koopa troopa

actually, rainwater does have trace elements... when you go out on a drive to your hydro store, all those sulfur dioxide, CO2, and mercury enter the atmosphere and bind to rain particles. if you live in LA or London, you have two different kinds of smog and i would not suggest using the rainwater. otherwise, i'm sure you'd be fine... there are lots of lakes in canada and scandinavia that are considered "dead" lakes because the ph is so low (in the 5's) and no fish can live. people have been dumping lime into the lakes to raise the ph and it seems to have worked in some lakes.

I

ismokepot

Just make sure it's not too acidic, which it can br depending on where u are in the world. Generally, it's fine........

my garden goes absolutely NUTS with fresh rainwater. i was told that the oxygen molecules are different. whatever it is, plants absolutely love it.

S

scrapiron

Rain water is naturally soft, (up to 100 times more than well water) containes almost no dissolved minerals or salts, and is free of chemical treatment. And FREE!. I am a gutter hugger!

true grit

true grit

Snagged some snow and the multi meter last week....

Straight snow, assuming same as rain, PH'd at 6.9. What I found more interesting was that is was only about 25-35 PPM. Only slightly more than what comes out of my RO at 5-10 ppm. Nature got it goin on....

leadplant

leadplant

I love rainwater,unfiltered, never got any bug probs with it, I collect it from high up on the roof, helps to cut down on crud. It is a bit acidic due to a little bit of Nitrogen that comes atmospheric deposition. IMO, that little bit of acidity is helpful becuase you want to add a little bit of tap/hard water anyway to buffer it. I add 12 oz of hard well water to 5 gallons of rainwater. Also when the rain is used "fresh" from the sky it seems more "energized" but that could be just be my holistic imagination.

organicozarks

organicozarks

Rain water is great for your plants. You just have to watch out if you get it off of your roof.

phinman

phinman

I capture it from the guuter, store it in 2 50 gallon garbage cans. I have never had a problem with it, always @ 7.1 -7.0 ph..I switched from RO & the girls LOVE it! I dont filter, though I do screen the top with a pool screen. Keep light from it while storing & all is good.

Top Bottom