RAIN???

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

Woke up this morning and something strange was going on. Was that rain I was hearing? Sure enough, forgot what it looked, smelled and felt like. It's been so long since we really had a good soaking here in Colorado. So far my rain gage shows 3/4 and inch and still coming down. Sure makes for a dreary day but it could do this for a couple of days and I would love it. Hopefully the whole state is getting a good drink.

putembk

putembk

Sounds good, unfortunately my wife decided I get to paint today. :( I will take your advise on the joint however.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm thinking about firing up the woodstove, it's like 42 degrees.......

I think it started raining about 9:00 pm last night, and it is just letting up now...... a good soaking. I hope the farmers out on the plains in Eastern Colorado got the same soaking, they are in real danger of losing their crops.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I need to take back what I said about letting up, it's still raining, 24 hrs later..... hell ya! I fell like it's gonna be El Nino....... that usually means it snows 5 ft every 3 days and by February all my snow removal shit is broke and I am without power and running the gennie and hauling gas in red jerry cans up my half mile driveway/slush path, and better do it in the day cause at night it's froze into a bobsled chute and nothing like falling with 12 gallons of gas in your hands and sliding down a chute of ice a half mile into a road to make you feel alive! Okay, maybe I better put down the Triangle Kush and just go to bed.........

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Took a trip up to Steamboat yesterday, never in my life have I seen Green Mtn Reservoir or Wolford reservoir so low... it is the end of the season of course, but it just looked so foreign

We need a strong winter

I need to take back what I said about letting up, it's still raining, 24 hrs later..... hell ya! I fell like it's gonna be El Nino....... that usually means it snows 5 ft every 3 days and by February all my snow removal shit is broke and I am without power and running the gennie and hauling gas in red jerry cans up my half mile driveway/slush path, and better do it in the day cause at night it's froze into a bobsled chute and nothing like falling with 12 gallons of gas in your hands and sliding down a chute of ice a half mile into a road to make you feel alive! Okay, maybe I better put down the Triangle Kush and just go to bed.........

The nights I hate are when I get out to unlock the gate or take the trash down the driveway and I get that instinctual alarm telling me there is some sort of predatory wild life close enough for me to pick up on... I've done enough nervous walks with a pistol that if anyone was watching, they'd have some funny footage...

The eeriest so far... last year I couldn't get the truck up the drive and had to hoof it. 5 minutes later went back out to grab the grass I'd forgotten, and had lion tracks through those I just left. I went back inside

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Bud,you may not be far off on your el nino prediction as we still have biting tuna and dorado pushing north through so cal and they are usually at least 200-400 miles south of the border,a warm water push for sure and a huge el nino indicator.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I was just talking with my pops about how we never see those 10 day long string of -9 degree weather. Wonder if that'll return

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
My driveway is also a little over a 1/2 mile and when I first moved here I was driving a cougar with rear wheel drive. One night I had to park on the street and walk back, I had a 12 pack of heineken and my driveway is like a bobsled track after dark as well. I made it back with 10 of the 12 beers still alive, I broke 1 and drank 1 while sliding home. There aren't any bears or many mtn lions around here, I really miss the mountains. Take care and I hope all is well with you and yours

mal

K

kolah

Man, that rain was something else. Many thanks to the powers that be. We had a good steady rain for
about 15 hours straight up here at 9300 feet. I think its been years such we had a real rain like that. It was a very odd and rare experience. Although I found out I have a leak in my tipi, it was still much needed. And yeah, the temps went down severely last night and it's supposed to maybe hit 32 tonight. Last night I had to wrap up and cover all my outdoors girls and a few in buckets got put in my sunroom. I got up around 2 am and it was drizzling with some wet snowflakes flying around. The gals in the greenhouse were on their own as I am not yet set up to heat the GH yet. (looking for a small woodstove or will have to make my own). We need more rain like that and I hope we get buried in snow his winter.

I have 5-9 weeks to go for Harvest. This year crops may be quite a challenge but I'll stay positive and do the best I can to keep these girls alive and happy.

Badgers, Bobcats, Cougar and Bear share the land here too. I only worry about the Cougars as they will stalk you and by the time you spot them it is often too late. The Deer and Elk are moving around too as the hunters are pushing them to safer places. Fucking city slickers think they can come up here and shoot anything that moves on someones private property. Pisses me off to no end.

K

kolah

Yeah XIII...the prob with GH's are that if you close them up at night to keep it warm the rH spikes up to 85-95%.....and putting a propane heater in there raises it even higher.....thus setting you up for mold issues and bud rot. If you have power to run fans and electric heaters that's a plus. I do not have those options so I do what I can. From here on in it will be a real nail biter, lots of nights getting up at 1 am and 6 am and lots of prayer. Day by day, man...that's all ya can do.

putembk

putembk

BEAR
IMG 0245
IMG 0245

If you live in a town in the mountains this is what you have been dealing with this summer. It has been so dry that there is no natural food for the bears so they come to town for our garbage. The first pic is a motion camera set up by our trash container. Every single dumpster or container, if not locked, is rummaged through every night. Kind of scary walking around town after dark. The second is just outside of town. This guy started walking toward us until he picked up our sent and then took off. Weird feeling having a bear walking you way when you have nothing but a camera to protect yourself.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
5 to 9 weeks? Perhaps you should find something that finishes sooner. Hereabouts we should be ready end of month. greenhouses longer however.

sky high

sky high

Dunno what yer transportation set up is/finances are.... but I saw this and thought of yer GH....

not many "cheap" stoves out there (under $300 is cheap to me..YMMV!) that aren't total shit.

Barrel stoves are another option...but a "kit" with stand/door/flue vent will cost you $100 with shipping...so something like the above...while rough...is still a good deal.

good luck finding a solution....

K

kolah

Putembk, that freaking bear is staring you down..holy shit.

CM, I did obtain some seeds this year that are supposed to finish 5o-55 days but I don't see that happening. I may get some harvested in mid October. We got snow on Pikes Peak last night, and snows on my property (in late September) are common. Even a good frost will kill my buds (if not covered)

Sky, damn nice find on that 100 dollar stove AND with pipe included. I am after it, thanks.

FW, yeah, you right... plus a big stove will take up space. I was hoping for a pot belly stove but those babies go for big bucks. I ain't picky now and anything will suffice.

Headed out to the GH as I need to trim the gals to eliminate any chances of PM.Man, it smells good in there. I love working around them.

thirdeyemama

thirdeyemama

Sky, damn nice find on that 100 dollar stove AND with pipe included. I am after it, thanks.

FW, yeah, you right... plus a big stove will take up space. I was hoping for a pot belly stove but those babies go for big bucks. I ain't picky now and anything will suffice.

Headed out to the GH as I need to trim the gals to eliminate any chances of PM.Man, it smells good in there. I love working around them.

Got a free one here near Carter Lake if ur in NOCO. Had it in the yurt. Now we're old folk (in our 60s)!and got lazy. One propane heater.

It's yours. DM me.

sky high

sky high

So thirdeyemama....from someone who has one/has experienced one in CO....do you think I'm nutz (yes) to have a "yurt fantasy" and think I can make the migration from a 2200 sq ft. "American Dream" to a "get back to the land and set my soul free" yurt way of life with far less of >everything<? (except land/fresh air)

And yer comment of bein "old" (in your 60's!!) hit home as well. We are trying to balance/look at all aspects of this...and one of them (wife doesn't see it like I do but I'm working on her) is that I don't wanna wait to "retire" and find I'm "too old" to enjoy the things I waited so long to enjoy.

dunno what you did.... but any insight is appreciated. If ya jumped off the "Wheel"...are ya glad ya did? If you didn't jump off..... is it still trying to run over you? (LOL)

Any third eye wisdom you can share here?

be well

s h

K

kolah

Yurts are very cool. I tossed around that option for awhile before deciding on my tipi. They run around $6-10k. My tipi (with poles ran me about $4k). It's nice to say my house is paid for.

PM sent. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom