Raising/lowering soil ph?

• Thread starter Leelandgrow3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

So I'm wondering what u guys do to raise or lower ur soil ph and a reference to what u are using for that

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You mean bagged buffered potting soil? If so you cant really adjust the ph. It is limed to be at a specific ph already. Water poured in will take on the soils ph.

Over use of acid (ph down) or calcium (ph up, lime) may change the ph out of range also.

If the ph is dropping it is likely from nute buildup. If it is rising the plants may need more nutes.

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

So in general; high pH in a growing medium, means the medium could use more nutes?

im in coco/perlite using dry organic fertilizers.
water going in is @5.9 pH (using spring water which has a natural pH of +7.8, using ph Down) could I be using too much acid to lower my pH?

pH in a slurry test was @ 7.86 ..should it be lower?
ppm were 275

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

You mean bagged buffered potting soil? If so you cant really adjust the ph. It is limed to be at a specific ph already. Water poured in will take on the soils ph.

Over use of acid (ph down) or calcium (ph up, lime) may change the ph out of range also.

If the ph is dropping it is likely from nute buildup. If it is rising the plants may need more nutes.
Okay so just fed and ph going 6.6 and came out with 4.73 which is low and not good ppms are 1430

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

So.. now it sounds like they’re being overfed.
I’ve been growing in coco for 3 years an have struggled with low and high ph runoff. I tried to flush with plain ro water an I wanted to rip my hair out. After flushing with gallons the runoff ph would not budge. Finally, I added just calmag at full strength. No nutes. An this helped me to adjust the ph runoff to satisfactory levels. Flush until your ph runoff is where you want it an your ppm runoff is close to what your putting in.
This is if your plants look like they’re having problems. If they look fine, calibrate your ph meter.
After you flush them give them a half strength feeding.
This worked for me.
Gl.
Well I just fed so if i do that now wouldn't that be like over kill and I'm in ffocf soil not coco lol any I know its nitrogen being locked out or deficiency

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So in general; high pH in a growing medium, means the medium could use more nutes?

im in coco/perlite using dry organic fertilizers.
water going in is @5.9 pH (using spring water which has a natural pH of +7.8, using ph Down) could I be using too much acid to lower my pH?

pH in a slurry test was @ 7.86 ..should it be lower?
ppm were 275

No. I said rising ph over time could mean that. We monitor runoff for trends. Not immediate info. It can be decieving.

Ocean forest buffers to 6.5 or so automatically from the ouster shell. So if you are far outside that range something is wrong or too much of something.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So now that I have this down to the high ppms and low ph run off do I fix it with next watering and flush with ph'd water to 6.5 or just lower my ppms and then the ph will rise

Well ph’ing depends on your water quality but yes i would flush down to like 1.2 and add back a light solution of nutes. Should reset things.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Well ph’ing depends on your water quality but yes i would flush down to like 1.2 and add back a light solution of nutes. Should reset things.
So flush with ph'd water at 6.5 until ph coming out is 1.2 then add a lite feed if I'm wrong fill me in I'm a little confused

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So flush with ph'd water at 6.5 until ph coming out is 1.2 then add a lite feed if I'm wrong fill me in I'm a little confused

Ppm not ph. 1.2 is ec (ppm at .5 scale) 600ppm.

And i wouldnt use ph down while trying to raise back the ph.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So then if I use no ph down to ph my tap water to 6.5 then what just use plan water

Again all this depends on water quality. It is the first and most important detail.

Mine is deep well water. It has an 8.0 ph but only 150 ppm (.3ec) of mineral content. I never ph it. And my runoff in ocean forest is always 6.5 or so. In fact when i did ph it down to 6.5 on my first year of grows i always had yellow leaves early as i was acidifying the medium.

If you would like to understand read about water alkalinity and gardening. i cant answer specific questions without specific numbers. I can only suggest guidelines.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Again all this depends on water quality. It is the first and most important detail.

Mine is deep well water. It has an 8.0 ph but only 150 ppm (.3ec) of mineral content. I never ph it. And my runoff in ocean forest is always 6.5 or so. In fact when i did ph it down to 6.5 on my first year of grows i always had yellow leaves early as i was acidifying the medium.

If you would like to understand read about water alkalinity and gardening. i cant answer specific questions without specific numbers. I can only suggest guidelines.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Search online or call your water company.
Okay so I did a flush on my brother's plants 15 gallons split between his three plants got the ppms down on his but he has a problem listening to me I told him not to ph his water see if the soil will buffer it but anyway got his ppm down to 1200 from 3500 and 4700 and ph was 4.8 got it to 5.5 I know not enough we ran outta good water and I tried the regular tap after it aired out for 24 hours and I dropped my ppms on my peyote critical to 1118 and my ph went from 4.8 and now is 5.3 so tomorrow I might get it right so ur method is working ur awesome man I really appreciate ur skills and help

Top Bottom