Raising Ph Of Water With Baking Soda.

• Thread starter BuDGooDE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Hi folks, I've been playing around with Baking Soda to raise my water ph just to see how it works. My water ph is around 7 - 7.5 so don't need to ph up, but when nutes are added my ph drops to around 5.9 so would'nt mind giving it a go. Like i said i was just testing to see how much to use really. The thing is, it raised the ph from 7.2 to 8.5 and then would'nt go up any more when i added more BS. Is that normal ? and does anyone know why this happened, many thanks BUD.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Hi folks, I've been playing around with Baking Soda to raise my water ph just to see how it works. My water ph is around 7 - 7.5 so don't need to ph up, but when nutes are added my ph drops to around 5.9 so would'nt mind giving it a go. Like i said i was just testing to see how much to use really. The thing is, it raised the ph from 7.2 to 8.5 and then would'nt go up any more when i added more BS. Is that normal ? and does anyone know why this happened, many thanks BUD.
The ph of baking soda is around 8.3 so it won't make anything higher.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

That, and it's a poor choice for PH adjustment.
Too much sodium upsets the osmotic balance.
Suggest that you simply use less nutes, Just enough to bring the PH into range.
I used to force feed too and found it to be expensive and unnecessary.
Counterproductive even.
Now I feed one time in veg, unless they indicate a need.
And once or twice at half strength in flower.
Using FFOF all the way, my yields and quality are excellent. (if I do say so myself :) )

1 month
GD x Flavr

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

That, and it's a poor choice for PH adjustment.
Too much sodium upsets the osmotic balance.
Suggest that you simply use less nutes, Just enough to bring the PH into range.
I used to force feed too and found it to be expensive and unnecessary.
Counterproductive even.
Now I feed one time in veg, unless they indicate a need.
And once or twice at half strength in flower.
Using FFOF all the way, my yields and quality are excellent. (if I do say so myself :) )

View attachment 618291 View attachment 618292
Yeah man I can see what your saying. I had a few problems starting due to low ph, it went down as low as 4.5 at one point. I've stopped feeding and flushed with plain water phd at 7.5 and ph of soil went up to 5,9 and now all 5 plants are around 6 - 6.3 (Still low for P) . Its the P im concerned about as they are almost ready for switch :-( So its the lowering the nutes that is making the change ? I was just told baking soda quick fix. So sounds like continue as im going. :)By the way, Nice grow you got there bro :)

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I'll second the point about sodium in baking soda causing issues, I've done it myself.
Switched to the botanicare ph up, it's like $14 for a quart that's lasted me over a year and works like a charm. Made of potassium hydroxide I believe.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

I'll second the point about sodium in baking soda causing issues, I've done it myself.
Switched to the botanicare ph up, it's like $14 for a quart that's lasted me over a year and works like a charm. Made of potassium hydroxide I believe.
Thanks Buddy :-) i'll look into that for future reference. I think for now i'll take @Wee Zard advice and definitely just water next time and see if ph has risen again, its not got far to go really, that's why I was going for quick fix, but have taken on board your good advice :-) Thanks guys. By the way this is my first time indoor grow, read lots but now putting it into practice.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Another option is raising your ph of nutes by adding dissolved oxygen via aeration.

This is nice because you don't have to add any extra chemicals that aren't needed. Just some air essentially.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

Another option is raising your ph of nutes by adding dissolved oxygen via aeration.

This is nice because you don't have to add any extra chemicals that aren't needed. Just some air essentially.
Hi BUd, we have spoken before. Im the one with the thread first indoor grow :-) You sent me pic of your water and nute set up. Messed up my old profile by changing email, forgot password to access email to verify id changed it ha ha, so had to set up this one. Im defo looking into an airstone and pump mate :-) Also looking for 1 of those large water dispensing bottles like you have. Good to hear from you again bro :-) I posted this looking for quick fix but all seems to be balancing itself through not feeding, but going to have to feed sometime so your method sounds good.

K

Kot

I raise my PH by using Potassium hydroxide. It gives the plants potassium. But be very careful when handling it because is could be very dangerous for people.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

I raise my PH by using Potassium hydroxide. It gives the plants potassium. But be very careful when handling it because is could be very dangerous for people.
Thanks bud but too chemical for this Organic grow :-)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you're looking for an organic method of raising pH, and don't want to use what should be infinitesimally small amounts of baking soda, then you need to look to other forms with carbonate or bicarbonate molecules attached, and know that once raised, pH shifted using carbonates is very difficult to shift back down. To this end, of course baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), but also dolomite lime (calcium-magnesium carbonate, or CaMgCO3), oyster shell flour (mostly CaCO3), egg shells ground into a flour, crab shell meal (again with the CaCO3) and so on. Often the easiest way to do this is to simply add back some municipal water.

BuDGooDE

BuDGooDE

If you're looking for an organic method of raising pH, and don't want to use what should be infinitesimally small amounts of baking soda, then you need to look to other forms with carbonate or bicarbonate molecules attached, and know that once raised, pH shifted using carbonates is very difficult to shift back down. To this end, of course baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), but also dolomite lime (calcium-magnesium carbonate, or CaMgCO3), oyster shell flour (mostly CaCO3), egg shells ground into a flour, crab shell meal (again with the CaCO3) and so on. Often the easiest way to do this is to simply add back some municipal water.
My Soil ph has now risen to 6.4 :-) It was adusting itself slowly but now its cool. Never needed any thing in the end other than water which was naturaly phd at 7.4. When i add nutes the nute ph is about 6.3 - 6.4. Plants are looking good and healthy and im going to switch them next saturday :-) Thanks for the info @Seamaiden .

Top Bottom