rapid rooters

• Thread starter Mr Green
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mr Green

i was woundering how i go about useing rapided rooters for germing seeds.. i have always used the paper towl method and then in to soil... before i put the seeds into the RR do i soak them in water, how far in the RR do they go, how is the seed placed in the RR, how wet should the rr be, and do i put them into a dome till they pop out of the rr. hopefully i covered all the questions needed to germ seeds in rapid rooters.. anything i missed please feel free to let me know what else to do.. thanks

H

hongkong

soak them in water. put them in a good 1/2 inch. and soak the rapid rooters in a diluted solution of thrive alive and water. the rrs are very pourus so they will absorb and expand like a sponge. i would place it in with tweezers (be very delicate), and yes leave them in the dome under flouros even for the first 2 weeks after theyved popped. just take a spray bottle of fresh water and spray the inside of the dome every time it gets dry. this may be multiple times a day or just once every few days.

P

ProGroWannabe

I just place mine straight into the RR's now. I used to soak first, but found that they germ great when they go right into the RR's.

I put my seeds in and just give them a gentle push so that there is good contact between the seed and the RR. If you go too deep, it will be harder for the seedling to pop out once it germs. I don't cover the seed either. It seems that they get a better "jump" after germ if the light is immediately available.---Some of this is speculation since it's not like I've conducted a side-by-side study, but this how it seems to work best for me.

A

adam

i dont suggest RR for germing.will work but seems to run into issues like getting wedged with the seed shell getting stuck,too much moisture thats just my feeling. i have had good results but have had better with paper towels then tranfer them to RR.

P

ProGroWannabe

They will definitely get wedged if you push them down into the RR very far, yes. I always make sure that I can see one-half of the seed's shell. I place them in there on their side so that no matter which side the taproot pops out of, it can still do it's thing, and also allow the seedling to "stand up".

F

FastForward

I normally germ in coco, but use RRs for hydro/waterfarm - and they've come up 99% of the time I think. The key I think is making sure it's 'hinge up', so that when it does germinate the root grows down, the stem pushes up with the seed case on the shoot or one of the leaves, that falls off in a day or two (or take off gently). V. easy.

I soak mine in the standard babygrow formula of 5ml/l Formulex and 4ml/l Rhizotonic, pH at 5.5 (and sometimes a dash of trichoderma/piranha powder). Put the RRs in a heated propagator and somewhere dark and in 2-3 days they'll break the surface...then put them under fluoros/prop lighting until they root and then you're off :)

M

Mr Green

so prowannabe do you put the seem of the seed down and see the top half of the seed in the rr... i read sub put his with the point down in the rr with good results.. so i want to see some of the seed and make sure there not to deep so i dont have any probs with getting wedged... i am pulling another pack of seeds out of the fridge .. alot of people use rr for germing and i though i would give it a try.. sorry for the questions...

P

ProGroWannabe

It's all good on the questions Mr.Green! I just place mine with one side or the other in the down position. Basically how it would naturally rest in there if ya just dropped it in. Then I push it down just a touch, so that it is about 1/4" below the surface.

If Sub gave a recommendation though, ya might just follow that--I'm sure he's popped more beans than me...lol.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I put them straight into RR, with about an hour soak in tap water ( the seed). I presoak my RR in a mild nutrient solution with a ph of 5.5. I think like PGW said earlier dont wedge the seed down in the RR to far or the seed shell might get hung up. If the RR hole is to small you can make it bigger with a STERILIZED drill bit. tThis also helps with big cuttings>:flower RB

M

Mr Green

thanks for all the replys on germing in rr's.. it been a big help and in the next week or two i will give rr a try.. hope all goes well

G

greyfx

I just place mine straight into the RR's now. I used to soak first, but found that they germ great when they go right into the RR's.

I put my seeds in and just give them a gentle push so that there is good contact between the seed and the RR. If you go too deep, it will be harder for the seedling to pop out once it germs. I don't cover the seed either. It seems that they get a better "jump" after germ if the light is immediately available.---Some of this is speculation since it's not like I've conducted a side-by-side study, but this how it seems to work best for me.

I also use RR's and just put them straight into the rapid rooters with a humidity dome above and I just spray inside the humidity dome with superthrive + ph'd water.

I don't recommend soaking RR's for anyone because they are already ph adjusted and ready to put your seeds in, by soaking them you are defeating the purpose of even using them.

I have left the top uncovered and covered. I usually just drop the seed in, and slightly pinch the top and just leave it and I've never had a seed that didn't germ within 3 days using rapid rooters. Ive had sprouts within 24 hours using them.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
They are great for clones too. I had great results with them over rw.

Top Bottom