Rapid yellowing

• Thread starter GrowGoat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGoat

GrowGoat

I had some real strong veg plants that were a vibrant green. First week into flower something happened. Some background

15 gal smart pots
Pro mix
Emerald harvest for veg. Advanced for flower
Ph 6.0
Caps bennies every two weeks

In veg they looked beautiful. I transitioned into flower and fed my first feeding with advance and all was well. I used normal strength according to their feeding chart. Second feeding the plants began to yellow from the top. The whole leaf and head turned yellow. Like a bright yellow. I was shocked and disheartened. I decided to give them a mini flush with about 8 gallons and a foliar spray the next day. Things looked better. I waited til they got dry and I fed again with half strength nutrients and THEY GOT WORSE. I’m so lost and need help. I’ve read that a magnesium difficency starts at the bottom. This is affecting the top portion of my canopy. I’m using a 600 watt bulb. It’s roughly 12-18 inches away.

No sign of bugs really. Iron deficiency? Sulfur?

I appreciate anyone chiming in

Rapid yellowing
Rapid yellowing 2
Rapid yellowing 3
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Son of a bitch thats the most advance magnesium def. I ever seen holy shit dood..

You should have caught taht at least a month ago..

Good luck.... fuck.

Ive been drinkng hence the post of wtf did u do..

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Son of a bitch thats the most advance magnesium def. I ever seen holy shit dood..

Good luck.... fuck.

So this is a cal/mag issue Dabbie? or could it simply be a Ph issue..
and please clarify what it's going to look like early, and what defines it as advanced.

I'm wanting to learn something here.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

What is your medium? Also did you switch to some type of a "bloom" formula when you put them into flower?

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

So it happened within a short period of time? I’d check the soil for bugs bro

GrowGoat

GrowGoat

Good luck.... fuck.

Good luck.... fuck.

It happened in less than a week. And it's at the top of the canopy. Don't magnesium deficiency start at the bottom? Appreciate the input
So it happened within a short period of time? I’d check the soil for bugs bro
Thanks will do.

GrowGoat

GrowGoat

I’m in pro mix hp. I switched to advanced nutrients bloom. They were so healthy prior to flower. How could this happen in one week. I wish I had some pics before weeks. I’m in week 2 now but like I said it turned bright yellow within a week.

If it’s a cal mag issue, wouldn’t it start from the bottom then make its way to the top. I really need a solution. I tried a mini flush which seemed to correct if but once I fed with half strength nutrients it got WORSE! I am also using botingare cal mag plus at 3-5 ml per gallon.

I checked my ph pen by putting it in my RO water and it read 6.8-7.0. I’ll recalibrate it to be on the safe side.

Help me farm!

Thanks for any input

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

What is your medium? Also did you switch to some type of a "bloom" formula when you put them into flower?
I’m in pro mix hp. I switched to advanced nutrients bloom. They were so healthy prior to flower ... it turned bright yellow within a week.

I checked my ph pen by putting it in my RO water and it read 6.8-7.0. I’ll recalibrate it to be on the safe side.

First immediately start feeding a balanced nutrient ( ie. too soon or better still never use "bloom" nutes)

Next you want your pH at 6.2 in promix

I would give that a heavy flush to reset the medium, if you do this post up the runoff and pH of the flush, good luck!

dire wolf

dire wolf

So this is a cal/mag issue Dabbie? or could it simply be a Ph issue..
and please clarify what it's going to look like early, and what defines it as advanced.

I'm wanting to learn something here.
Sounds like you already graduated in sarcasm

dire wolf

dire wolf

Just preparing myself for the eye rolling crowd when I make my suggestion .... 12 inches away from canopy with a 600 watt hid bulb , I'm adding heat stress and shock ....
What is the temp 6 inches under that light ?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I’m in pro mix hp. I switched to advanced nutrients bloom. They were so healthy prior to flower. How could this happen in one week. I wish I had some pics before weeks. I’m in week 2 now but like I said it turned bright yellow within a week.

If it’s a cal mag issue, wouldn’t it start from the bottom then make its way to the top. I really need a solution. I tried a mini flush which seemed to correct if but once I fed with half strength nutrients it got WORSE! I am also using botingare cal mag plus at 3-5 ml per gallon.

Help me farm!

Thanks for any input

I threw out my pens and started using liquid ph markers because of this problem. I haven't changed since. bromothymol blue my friend, and don't look back.

Currently, I'm doing soil, but regardless, I don't use pens anymore, all ph done with chemicals, because I don't trust electronics, for that very reason.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Just preparing myself for the eye rolling crowd when I make my suggestion .... 12 inches away from canopy with a 600 watt hid bulb , I'm adding heat stress and shock ....
What is the temp 6 inches under that light ?

Yea, I didn't think about that because it's so cool were I'm at, but your very much correct, it could be heat related, bigtime.

I mean, he can be right about the mag thing, but what is the exact mechanism of the deficiency, PH? Heat?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm assuming this setup is some sort of DWC or Hyrdo, what are the temps at the root zone??? If it's above 75f-24C, Bingo! Edit: says smart pots, so It's soil, but same thing still applies, heat could still be an issue, just not as quickly, make sure those lights are off during the heat of the day.

Run your lights at night, at least that's what I do. But it looks to be heat or ph, from where I'm standing. (or combo of the two).

It's getting the apex of summer now, so lot's of this is going to start being a problem. Also, you might want to try and correct some of your problems with the humidity, if that's an option, get it between 60-70%, (look at chart for corresponding temp requirement) if possible. But lower temps would be better.

Leaf pressure
Last edited:
GrowGoat

GrowGoat

Yea, I didn't think about that because it's so cool were I'm at, but your very much correct, it could be heat related, bigtime.

I mean, he can be right about the mag thing, but what is the exact mechanism of the deficiency, PH? Heat?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm assuming this setup is some sort of DWC or Hyrdo, what are the temps at the root zone??? If it's above 75f-24C, Bingo! Edit: says smart pots, so It's soil, but same thing still applies, heat could still be an issue, just not as quickly, make sure those lights are off during the heat of the day.

Run your lights at night, at least that's what I do. But it looks to be heat or ph, from where I'm standing. (or combo of the two).

It's getting the apex of summer now, so lot's of this is going to start being a problem. Also, you might want to try and correct some of your problems with the humidity, if that's an option, get it between 60-70%, (look at chart for corresponding temp requirement) if possible. But lower temps would be better.
I just measured the distance from the canopy to the light fixture. Btw it’s a bat wing reflector 600 watts. 16-20 inches on average. Ideally I think/thought 18 inches is the money spot.

I’m stumped. Maybe my ph reader is off. But I just got off the phone with advance nutrients and their product is designed to go as low 4.0-8.0 supposedly with no problems.

I am stumped

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
what's your actual temps in the tent. It's hard to assess the situation, because there's no real "perspective" photo.

Do you maybe just have way too much nutes? I would do straight water flushes starting off, possibly even hit it with a sludge hammer.

I've had problem like these in the past on occasion, that's why I've gone to a supersoil type mix, as adding nutes is a self defeating endeavor sometimes. "living soil" approach largely eliminates these sort of issues. (so far, keeps fingers crossed)

I'm virtually 100% organic now. My suggestion (in addition to straight water flushes) would be to do a "light" follar spray of humic, and attempt to correct any nutrient stress) Just go small, as follars are 8-40x more effective than pouring humic in the root zone.

Regarless of the causative issue here, I think a humic would probably help in this case. (especially if it hasn't had any in awhile) Also, maybe hit some in the root zone, and drop the nutes for now.

Last edited:
Holyswagger

Holyswagger

I had some real strong veg plants that were a vibrant green. First week into flower something happened. Some background

15 gal smart pots
Pro mix
Ph 6.0

In veg they looked beautiful. I transitioned into flower and fed my first feeding with advance and all was well. I used normal strength according to their feeding chart. Second feeding the plants began to yellow from the top. The whole leaf and head turned yellow. Like a bright yellow. I was shocked and disheartened. I decided to give them a mini flush with about 8 gallons and a foliar spray the next day. Things looked better. I waited til they got dry and I fed again with half strength nutrients and THEY GOT WORSE. I’m so lost and need help. I’ve read that a magnesium difficency starts at the bottom. This is affecting the top portion of my canopy. I’m using a 600 watt bulb. It’s roughly 12-18 inches away.

15 gal smart pots
Pro mix
Ph 6.0

Spray them down with some Epsom salts ASAP also get some liquid seaweed and give them a good foliar feeding.

Top Bottom