RDWC brown root problems????

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

well things were going well till I transplanted them into the flower room. It looks like Im getting some root rot issues. Three days ago the roots were pearly white and healthy. like this..
01833.JPG

Now they are browning and looking not so healthy

SANY00036.JPG
SANY00054.JPG
SANY00026.JPG
SANY00014.JPG
SANY00064.JPG

The plants still look healthy and green, for now

SANY00046.JPG

I have been reading a lot on how to cure this problem. I added 300ml of 29% h2o2 to my 100 gallon res. As soon as my ro tanks fill up I am going to change the water and add another 300ml h202. and a weak nute solution around 300ppm.

I dont know where to go from there. After I have this problem do I need to keep adding h2o2 throughout the rest of the gro?

Do I need to cut out roots excel and multi zyme?

Should I get some hydro fungicide?

Should I cut off all of these bad roots?

Hopefully I cought it in time before it kills my grow.

After I see new root growth can I cut out the h2o2 and go back to roots excel and multi zyme?

Not sure what caused it. My res temps are always at 65 all of the airstones are working great.
After my last grow I scrubbed out the system with bleach and water and ran it overnight with the bleach solution.

Any input from someone who solved this problem before will be a great help

thanks
g

P

Pandaman

I'm not a pro, by a long shot, but I want to say that those brown roots are normal. I remember hearing that beneficial bacteria will turn your roots to a root-beer color. It is a sign that you have a healthy beneficial bacteria going on... Well not anymore (I think). The h202 prob killed the bacteria. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but at least you have another lead to this issue.

Good luck man :)

Peace.

P

primeform

Im not a hydro guy but from what i gather here are your solutions:
1> set chiller to 62 degrees as the root rot cant live below 67.
2> DM zone if you want to run sterile(meaning no benes or root excel)
3> hygrozyme to eat up the dead roots

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Gettogro,
I don't know what exactly I figured out with RDWC, except it was easy to crap out.

I don't know about the roots just being stained theory. My guess is that you are using the same nute lineup as last run. I would go along with the cooler chiller temps. I have no experience on this, but I have heard that Hygrozyme is not so good on the RDWC. You should be ok with the H202, hydrofungicide, or zone. I would only cut off the real brown and slimy roots. You can dip the whole net pot into a sterilization solution as well. I believe that the enzymes and benes are no help once you have a case of the rot brewing. Before rot, helpful. I think that they can actually feed into the problem if rot is already existing. Do you top feed? I would get whatever you are going to use to sterilize chop chop. Then drain and run a flush. Real good. Then refill with lighter nutes and monitor closely. With the hydrofungicide there is an initial dose and a maintenance dose. I think that if you are dosing daily that it should clear up in a couple of weeks if it is going to turn around. First things first, I would have a contingency plan in operation immediately (take some fresh cuts for new victims). Best of luck. At least you are running a UC style with continuously submerged pipes. That design is much better for minimizing your rot possibilities respectively.

P.S. that first root pic must of been photoshopped. Those roots are whiter than a clan rally. Good work man.

-TF

deacon1503

deacon1503

Anyone have experience running Aquashield with Hydrofungicide? That would be killer.

I would definitely cut the Multizyme until you confirm if its pythium or not.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I would.
Run 1 TBLS. Bleach per 100 gallons.PH at 5.8 and Let run for 24hrs. Then dump refill and nute up. Add the hydro fungicide. But remove the root excell and multi zyme.I don't like what they do to my roots color so I didn't use them last run. Also top feed it very easy to cause root issues.
Hop this helps.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Im not a hydro guy but from what i gather here are your solutions:
1> set chiller to 62 degrees as the root rot cant live below 67.
2> DM zone if you want to run sterile(meaning no benes or root excel)
3> hygrozyme to eat up the dead roots

Have you run Hygrozyme in RDWC?? My guess would be no or you wouldn't be recommending it here. If you don't know what the fuck you are talking about then don't give shit advice. Hygrozyme is a recipe for disaster in RDWC. Sorry to be a dick ... but don't be a dick. You are gonna riun someones harvest if you keep giving shit advice.

M

mrdizzle

I my experience you will want to add hydrofungicide, daily, for about 1 week then go to the normal dosing. looks like you caught it early, if things dont clear up then physan2 is plan B

one thing with hydrofungicide is you need to dose daily if you have a problem, a lot of people seem to miss this instruction on the label, maybe because its so expensive.

Dont add hydrozyeme its shit in RDWC, turns a small problem into a big problem

the whole 62 degrees thing is false, there are actaully species of pythium that only thrive below 67

this is why I hate RDWC, do everything right and get thanked by some brown roots and a whole lot of stress. good luck holmes

P

primeform

Have you run Hygrozyme in RDWC?? My guess would be no or you wouldn't be recommending it here. If you don't know what the fuck you are talking about then don't give shit advice. Hygrozyme is a recipe for disaster in RDWC. Sorry to be a dick ... but don't be a dick. You are gonna riun someones harvest if you keep giving shit advice.

Yes you are a dick and i HAVE seen people run it in RDWC and recommend it as well. Have you seen it ruin someones harvest? How about putting in BENEFICIAL information like WHAT hygrozyme does to RDWC. but actually your just trying to look cool and be a dick. you accomplished one of those 2 goals.

Prime

S

Stoner Smurf

Right now I am mid way through my first hydro grow (10 5-gal bucket RDWC) using DM Zone. My temps occasionally climbed to mid 70s during veg. And in flower the temps have hit 70 once or twice. My roots are still blinding white.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

RDWC is a recipe for disaster. It vegges OK, but the roots never compare to deep cycle high pressure aero roots. It's usually when you are in the third week of flower nutes that the rez craps out heavily imbalanced pH and high ppms + warm temps are usually more than enough. Toss into that most growers over fertilize and KABOOM

There are so many potential problems waiting to happen, beginning with it is a bad idea to soak your roots 24/7.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Yes you are a dick and i HAVE seen people run it in RDWC and recommend it as well. Have you seen it ruin someones harvest? How about putting in BENEFICIAL information like WHAT hygrozyme does to RDWC. but actually your just trying to look cool and be a dick. you accomplished one of those 2 goals.

Prime

My bad Primeform. Your right. I think I am going to go dump some hygrozyme in my UC right now. I mean I want to keep my grow medium clean like it says on the bottle. "Use the natural cleaner for growing mediums", oh wait I don't have any grow medium in RDWC. So what will it do if no medium is available? Hmmmmm .... well create a ton of problems like creating a film of slime on all buckets and roots that will promote the explosion of brown algae that will suffocate my roots of DO and rob my plants of the nitrogen that they need to flourish. Get right on it. Keep on giving good advice bro.

G

gettogro

Thanks for the replys and the advise. I just picked up some physan20 and some dm zone. I'm going to run the phsan20 for 8 hours or so change the water and then run zone for the rest of the run and cut out the zyme and the roots ex. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to knock this out, might have set me back a week or so. But I think I cought it in time. The plants still look awesome and I hit them with some magic green last night. I'll report back after I see some results either way

Peace
G

G

gettogro

So am I reading this right? The sticky on icmag says to use 1 ml per 10 gallons. So my 100 gallon system only ad 2 teaspoons of phyan20. That's some pretty strong stuff..

G

gettogro

RDWC is a recipe for disaster. It vegges OK, but the roots never compare to deep cycle high pressure aero roots. It's usually when you are in the third week of flower nutes that the rez craps out heavily imbalanced pH and high ppms + warm temps are usually more than enough. Toss into that most growers over fertilize and KABOOM

There are so many potential problems waiting to happen, beginning with it is a bad idea to soak your roots 24/7.[/QUOTE

Save it! we have plant counts to worry about. 2 lb + plants are what I'm after. This is just a speed bump as far as I'm concerned. Does your aero spit out roots like this?
IMG_07041.JPG
IMG_07041.JPG

20 gallons of rdwc

P

primeform

My bad Primeform. Your right. I think I am going to go dump some hygrozyme in my UC right now. I mean I want to keep my grow medium clean like it says on the bottle. "Use the natural cleaner for growing mediums", oh wait I don't have any grow medium in RDWC. So what will it do if no medium is available? Hmmmmm .... well create a ton of problems like creating a film of slime on all buckets and roots that will promote the explosion of brown algae that will suffocate my roots of DO and rob my plants of the nitrogen that they need to flourish. Get right on it. Keep on giving good advice bro.

Seriously gtfo of the farm with your better then you attitude. You havent given 1 piece of decent information this entire post yet act like an elitest asshole. I normally wouldnt waste my breath to enlighten such a closed minded person as yourself but this information should help Ghetto fix his problems. That is the point of this thread, not how small your e-penis is. This is the last comment I will make towards you.

There are 2 methods to prevent pythium root rot.
1 > A completely sterile environment that kills all bacteria. Dutch Master Zone or peroxide.

2 > Beneficial bacteria > that compete with the pythium and promote beneficial colonies growing on the rootzone.

Hygrozyme promotes bacteria colonies, GOOD or BAD, and eats dead organic material. So if you just dump hygrozyme in your rez like you say without using DM Zone, peroxide, or beneficial bacteria you are simply encouraging the pytium colonies.

The funny thing is hygrozyme was actually invented to be USED in sterile environments like DM zone. This way you can get the benefits of enzyme producing bacteria like in Great White without having to keep a livable environment for the bacteria. THis way you can kill all the GOOD and BAD bacteria and still benefit from the organic eating properties of the enzymes.

So lets recap:

Hygrozyme: Promotes bacteria colonies on roots (good or bad), and eats dead matter thru enzymes.(DOES NOT kill bad bacteria).

Peroxide: eats dead matter like hygrozyme but thru oxidation, and kills all bacteria (good or bad). Adds oxygen to water.

DM Zone: Sterilizer like peroxide, kills all bacteria.

Great White: beneficial bacteria colonize in roots. Compete with pythium stopping it from taking over. the bacteria produce enzymes like hygrozyme and is also stimulated by hygrozyme.

Its all about using it correctly, not just adding it to your res and saying "this shit sucks, it killed my plants". well yea dude, know what your actually doing when you add it.

M

MediMary

so what happened in that three day period? you moved the plants, did you change up the nutrient ec? have you been using Roots excelurator throughout your whole grow?

P

primeform

cant use root excellurator with DM zone or peroxide. It is composed of beneficial bacterias that will be killed off. If you want to use root excellurator you need to go the beneficial bacteria route.

"Let me put this confusion to bed……Roots Excelurator has beneficial bacteria in it….Would you put your secret recipe online? I don’t think so….Here is some info for you……….
This product is without a doubt the most powerful rooting stimulant available. It works by forming a membrane around roots and protecting them from harmful bacteria and fungus. Roots Excelurator will not only protect your plants from harmful root disease, but it will also cure existing cases of root rot.
Derived From: Organic biological organisms, Ammonium Nitrate, and Potassium Hydroxide.
Ingredients Explained: This amazing biological water and/or soil treatment protects the root zone by ridding the plant of unwanted microbial pests. This beneficial root stimulator will easily out perform all other root simulators! Roots Excelurator is packaged in an aluminum canister to preserve organic ingredients and beneficial organisms.
Application: Add 1.1 ml of Roots Excelurator to every gallon of water in the nutrient solution. Administer at every feeding during the first two weeks of the rearing cycle. At 1.1 ml/gallon, Roots Excelurator is the least expensive root stimulant, per dose, on the market.
So the pretty silver bottle is not for looks….This protects the bacteria by staying colder than plastic."

Top Bottom