RDWC Foaming Issue when Air pump is on

  • Thread starter letsgro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
letsgro

letsgro

I transplanted my second run into buckets yesterday and noticed some minor foaming last night. I woke up to about 3 gallons of water on the floor that bubbled over the lids, and when I returned from work today found another 10 or so gallons on the floor. Clearly this is not going to work itself out, and I am not sure what the cause is.

When I turn off the air pump the foaming stops. I cleaned my hydroton (which I will never do again) with diluted bleach, then drained off and used diluted H202. I rinsed the shit out of the hydroton with tap water inside a net lid so I can't imagine that has anything to do with it but I am perplexed. I assume I am best off doing a res change and starting fresh, but I would hate to waste the time to not solve the issue this late after a long day of trimming.
 
Mospeada

Mospeada

I've experienced foaming before. It was when I used too much polysorbate 20 to emulsify triacotanol. I only really foliar with it these days and haven't run into the issue of foaming since. Probably not the cause of that but I'd be interested to see what it ends up being.
 
letsgro

letsgro

That’s interesting. I’m wondering if it’s even possible for the H202 to have an affect since the hydroton was completely dried after the washing. I’m stumped. Maybe @Aqua Man has an idea
 
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Staff member
Supporter
That’s interesting. I’m wondering if it’s even possible for the H202 to have an affect since the hydroton was completely dried after the washing. I’m stumped. Maybe @Aqua Man has an idea
Any organics will do this, also sometimes if bacteria population explode then crash. If the water is still with pumps stopped it won't take long to see a biofilm if that the case.
 
letsgro

letsgro

I don’t see any film at the sites or in the res, and my pump is off temporarily to prevent the overflowing (screw gravity returns). Unfortunately I do see plenty of sediment in the bottom of the res and a few bits of roots. I should have gone with new hydroton for sure.

I will have to do a res change first thing in the morning and mix new nutes. I am trying Current solutions this run with power si.
 
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Staff member
Supporter
I don’t see any film at the sites or in the res, and my pump is off temporarily to prevent the overflowing (screw gravity returns). Unfortunately I do see plenty of sediment in the bottom of the res and a few bits of roots. I should have gone with new hydroton for sure.

I will have to do a res change first thing in the morning and mix new nutes. I am trying Current solutions this run with power si.
Yeah any decaying matter, organics etc... enzymes can also do this as theybbreak stiff down.

It will clear up eventually... can try skimming it as often as needed for now.
 
Top Bottom