RDWC, I need some comforting.

• Thread starter BigBanana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BigBanana

Is there anyone out there that can help me out a bit.

Im growing white widdow in a rdwc system.

Waterchiller, ec 1.0, super aerated, Silver Bullit + Peroxide. 500w HPS.

Stunted growth, plants looking yellowish.

My plants growing in plain soil looks awesome and grows faster than in the rdwc system which is mind boggling…

Been doing this for over 15 years, feeling like Ive been deeply cursed, like someone else mentioned…

Will continue because there is no other way, will get pool shock tomorrow and nuke everything…

Rdwc i need some comforting
Rdwc i need some comforting 2
Rdwc i need some comforting 3
Rdwc i need some comforting 4
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Man I am just learning RDWC, I wish I could help you. I am also running a live system and don't know a lot about running sterile.

What are your water temps? You probably don't need to run a chiller if you are running sterile and can get your water temps up in the 70-75F range and that might help. If your water is too cold, that could be an issue. The roots don't look terrible but could be stronger depending on how long they have been in the system.

More info would help too. How long have these gals been in the system? What kind of nutes are you using? How much water in your system? Basically give all the info you can think of and one of the experts like @Aqua Man or @Moe.Red might chime in if they have time.

Some photos in regular light might also help.

Reactions: PK1
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Howdy Banana.

Couple things that I'm struggling with. You say 500W HPS, but normally they are 400, 600, 1000W. Also, that looks more like Metal Halide to me. Can you confirm your lighting and distance? A whole setup pic with the lights and any equipment you have will help a lot and answer a bunch of questions.

On those clear cups with soil - exposing roots to light is a no-no. Maybe slide them inside a colored cup as well.

I don't understand what you got going on at the bottom of those cups either, are they somehow a part of the RDWC? Drain to waste into the RDWC or something?

That aluminum foil is likely to create problems like crown rot. You need something permeable there that breathes. Maybe a washcloth or something like that could work.

Where is your res? Or is this really a DWC?

Is this the system you have been using for 15 years? Same stuff, same nutes, etc? And you have been successful before with this system?

White Widow Photo from seed?

I'll stop back in a few hours and hopefully you have some answers to the above.

B

BigBanana

I will try to fill out the gaps in my info.

Its a double 600W system and they are dimmed down to 400W sorry for my typo! Since yesterday I have the lamp running on just 250w because there os visible gunk growing inside the tubs, on the walls, no bueno!

The plants in clear plastic are the plants that were in the system before the ww, managed to salvage them and they exist only as a backup if them ww would fail, so Im not that concerned with algae and such sorry I know it looks kinda messed up.. White widdows are all from seeds, which is sub optimal, and they were brought up in perlite so I could migrate them easily into my net cups, no media.

Nutes are one part powder from green house genetics, ph is 5,5 very stable, hasnt changed for weeks, three weeks actually.

The system is a home crafted rdwc which holds 300L plus.

I have six large tubs and one extra on the side where the submerged in line pump are and a filter around it.

Each tub has four large airstones, so 24 stones in total.

The airpump is huge and I have tried to make it quiet with a box, yesterday I put a hepa filter on the intake, this is releaving to know no alien things can enter through the air. The pump is situated four meters or so from the setup so that the air gets cooled down by the time it enters the water.

I run a lot of peroxide by the moment and I guess thats whats keeping them alive, because I saw something slimey growing inside the system yesterday, soo I went and got a can of poolshock yesterday, to my horror the day has ended quite rapidly and I will have to wait until tomorrow, and its funny how I managed to give myself answers now, three weeks without a change of water seems a bit excessive, I should also get rid of everything in soil because I try to run a sterile system, lets take some photos!

And also this system is kinda new to me, rdwc is new and scary I must admit!

B

BigBanana

CHLORINE SHOCK TREATMENT IN ACTION.

I have the carbon filter pressure fitted so that I can deassemble it easy for times when nothing stinky is growing.

The airlines are filled with rubbing alcohol and everything else is soaked in chlorine for the rest of the day.

I run HPS mainly because this apartment only has electrical heating anyways so In the winter I had to spend a fortune on the utility bill anyways so I kill two stones with one bird this way, but the last 6 months I have been paying a monstrous bill every month and not one single grain of flower has been produced.

Running potted flowers in soil as a backup because Im tired of being sober all the time 😅

Ezdeezy89

Ezdeezy89

It seems like you're doing a lot of extra steps when a good flush would suffice Are you in veg? Try raising the ph up to 5.8.

Not sure why you're constantly running h202. That aluminum needs to go, put some hydroton in the buckets to block the light. Water temps need to be around 70.

Do you run CO2 or is it a sealed room? You should be taking air from outside the room if running CO2 otherwise you're just blasting it in with the air pump

B

BigBanana

There was some brown things growing on the walls and I remember seeing the same thing before so there must have been some contam that stuck, never rinsed the system like this before.

Ph is measured with a ph solution and a color chart so I cant adjust to a specific value.

65 degrees in the water.

The h202 was because of a beginning root rot, aluminium is gone, those cheets are blocking light from getting to where the stems protrude because I have had problems with algae growing on stems and killing the plants, at least when they are small. And yes im in veg for three weeks.

No co2 for now or at least until they start to grow… the room is not sealed. Thanks for the input :)

Oldmustang

Oldmustang

Something doesn't add up, it sure doesn't look like a healthy grow and from your description you're all over the place. Brown shit, strange roots, no medium in your grow pots and the water lever could be a little higher since your roots look sick and scrawny. H2O2 all the time, you ain't been growing 15 years

B

BigBanana

No not in DWC, plus it is actually closer to 17 years…

DWC sucks ass, if anybody thinking it over, duck that shit.

Going to burn these parts in a bonfire hopefully all the comtams gets killed that way…

B

BigBanana

Thinking about going with bennies actually now I remember that I had some success with hydroguard right before they cancelled that product in my part of the world… Now it all comes back to me…

I have some great white powder, could I pour that into the DWC in the meantime ( need to order me some AG GARDEN bennies )

B

BigBanana

Of course Im all over the place, hadnt had good medicine for almost a year now. Just here and there. Makes me want to cry almost.

Top Bottom