Rdwc Low Dissolved Oxygen Saturation Causes Root Rot Outbreaks

• Thread starter J Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

J Henry

If you have never had root rot outbreak in a RDWC this thread is totally meaningless and not worth the little time it takes to read it. But, if you do RDWC and you have had a Pythium outbreak, made tea concoctions and tried to cure it or loaded your nutrient water with H2O2 and Clorox and killed everything in your nutrient solution, take a minute and check this out.

If you have a RDWC garden and interested in preventing root rot vs. catching and curing root rot, this may or may not be of interest for you.

“The experts say” that low oxygen saturation in RDWC hydroponics nutrient solution and root zones set up ideal conditions for fungal outbreaks. Some gardeners may believe this – many don’t really believe this at all. The gardeners that really don’t believe this are the ones that catch and deal with fungal root rot outbreaks. These gardeners clearly have fail to maintain minimal safe oxygenation and just live with root rot diseases and wonder… how did my garden catch the root rot again?

On the other “the experts” say that if you will maintain 100% DO saturation, that will prevent fungus from out-breaking plus great oxygenation will keep your plants and microbe colonies healthy.

“The experts” say that if you chill your nutrient water down to 68F or lower, the oxygen saturation chart says 100% DO saturation is assured and 100% DO saturation is guaranteed and that’s good and great. “The experts” predict 100% DO Saturation by water temperature on the DO chart. “The experts” claim that chilled water is the only solution for insuring plenty of oxygen… 100% DO saturation. That is the opinion my many how to insure no low oxygen conditions in RDWC. The DO Chart is the

Well, here’s another way to insure/guarantee 100% DO saturation at room temperature (no water chilling needed) – provide supplemental oxygen continuously or in emergencies when you first discover that you have got a real dose of the dreaded - root rot.

Otab http://www.otabs.com/about-us.html adds 90% oxygen, air has 20% oxygen… adding supplemental oxygen is a no-brainer every time you have root rot. High oxygen prevents fungal outbreaks and prevention is better than curing the disease.

90% Supplemental Oxygen, is more that a lot of hot air.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
While I've never grown by this method, I have had to monitor DO levels in aquaria. It seems to me that if there is a solute in the water column, be it a mix of salts as seawater, or a mix of salts as fertilizers, there is simply going to be less molecular room for those O2 molecules to stay in saturation, no? Sure, dropping temps helps to keep DO levels up, but is that enough in all cases, especially if someone's running a very rich solution?

Hey! Can I use those for shipping my breeder bluegill? I just ordered some battery operated bait well pumps, but I got an email saying they're out and don't know when another shipment is coming in. I was thinking about dosing with H2O2 during the trip, but we'll have to stop, measure, etc, and I haven't had my own meter in decades, literally.

Holy schnikeys, I think you just solved my fish shipping problem!

J

J Henry

While I've never grown by this method, I have had to monitor DO levels in aquaria. It seems to me that if there is a solute in the water column, be it a mix of salts as seawater, or a mix of salts as fertilizers, there is simply going to be less molecular room for those O2 molecules to stay in saturation, no? Sure, dropping temps helps to keep DO levels up, but is that enough in all cases, especially if someone's running a very rich solution?

Hey! Can I use those for shipping my breeder bluegill? I just ordered some battery operated bait well pumps, but I got an email saying they're out and don't know when another shipment is coming in. I was thinking about dosing with H2O2 during the trip, but we'll have to stop, measure, etc, and I haven't had my own meter in decades, literally.

Holy schnikeys, I think you just solved my fish shipping problem!

Your right about the solute concentration affecting DO in water. Here’s a publication for you from Auburn University about using H2O2 safely for that fish transport job. Scroll down to pg. 13.

[PDF]transporting fish - Auburn University

www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/.../Transport%20fish.pdf

Figure 19: Producing pure oxygen from hydrogen peroxide for fish transport.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks, yes, I used to use it extensively for shipping stressed animals, mostly those coming in from overseas. This is a great primer for anyone who's never transported or shipped fish. :D

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Thanks, yes, I used to use it extensively for shipping stressed animals, mostly those coming in from overseas. This is a great primer for anyone who's never transported or shipped fish. :D
So after my I receive a shipment of fish I should add h2o2 to the tank?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Bro, I think Ima order sine I'd these and give them a try. Amazon has some that say they last a month. I wonder if they would react with the nutes in any way?

Latest posts

Top Bottom