Rdwc

• Thread starter xX24nuggetsXx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X

xX24nuggetsXx

Hey I’ve recently just finished my first grow which was in coco and I’m looking to move into Rdwc as I think I’d enjoy it much more. I’m looking at getting the alien Rdwc pro system and I was just wondering is it really necessary to get the 36L buckets over the 20L buckets and if so what are the benefits of getting the bigger buckets?

Cheers

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I've not seen that system before so I looked it up. I've been running RDWC a long time, and I would not recommend 5 gallon pots (20L) and even 10 is smaller than I run. Most of the growers here who are using the systems to the fullest use 13G square buckets.

The problem with smaller pots is that you will have smaller roots, and a more unstable system in terms of PH, nutes, temps, etc. More water = more stability = better results.

It does depend on what your goals, space, genetics and skills are, but if you are using RDWC to improve yield, I think bigger is better.

Thats 13 gallons.

X

xX24nuggetsXx

I've not seen that system before so I looked it up. I've been running RDWC a long time, and I would not recommend 5 gallon pots (20L) and even 10 is smaller than I run. Most of the growers here who are using the systems to the fullest use 13G square buckets.

The problem with smaller pots is that you will have smaller roots, and a more unstable system in terms of PH, nutes, temps, etc. More water = more stability = better results.

It does depend on what your goals, space, genetics and skills are, but if you are using RDWC to improve yield, I think bigger is better.

View attachment 1278103

Thats 13 gallons.

Awesome thanks for your reply! Yeah I’ll definitely look into the bigger pots then would you say 10 is still to small or that would kind of be your starting point? As they do have a 10 gallon pot system that I would get instead. Yeah the overall outcome I would like is a bigger and better yield but with it being my first attempt at Rdwc I don’t necessarily think I’ll get that I think it’ll be more of a learning curve for me.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Bigger pots will never hurt you. Smaller ones can create some limitations. So all else being equal and budget not a concern, go big. That's not reality tho.

If you have a full 8 feet high to grow in, I say go bigger. If you are say in a 6.5 foot tent, the smaller pots will not be a problem because you will have to flip sooner to keep your plants out of the lights.

If you have control over the growspace (temp, rh, ppfd, etc) then I'd recommend bigger. If not, save the money, grow smaller plants and use the extra money to get the systems in place to control the grow.

I'm speaking in generalizations of course, I really know nothing about what you are trying to do or your skills / budget.

There are important tools for RDWC like PH meter, TDS meter, res temp meter, and for sure RH meter controlling a dehumidifier. RDWC can cause explosive growth resulting in very high RH. If you have to choose between 5 gal and 10 gal, and with the 10 gal you can't afford the tools, I'd say get the smaller one and the tools. But you may find that you are good at this RDWC thing and that 5G pots are your limiting factor, so... 🤷‍♂️

You would never fit that root ball I pictured above in 5 gallons for example. But that root ball is responsible for a huge harvest up top.

It's a balancing act with your checkbook making the final determination.

X

xX24nuggetsXx

Bigger pots will never hurt you. Smaller ones can create some limitations. So all else being equal and budget not a concern, go big. That's not reality tho.

If you have a full 8 feet high to grow in, I say go bigger. If you are say in a 6.5 foot tent, the smaller pots will not be a problem because you will have to flip sooner to keep your plants out of the lights.

If you have control over the growspace (temp, rh, ppfd, etc) then I'd recommend bigger. If not, save the money, grow smaller plants and use the extra money to get the systems in place to control the grow.

I'm speaking in generalizations of course, I really know nothing about what you are trying to do or your skills / budget.

There are important tools for RDWC like PH meter, TDS meter, res temp meter, and for sure RH meter controlling a dehumidifier. RDWC can cause explosive growth resulting in very high RH. If you have to choose between 5 gal and 10 gal, and with the 10 gal you can't afford the tools, I'd say get the smaller one and the tools. But you may find that you are good at this RDWC thing and that 5G pots are your limiting factor, so... 🤷‍♂️

You would never fit that root ball I pictured above in 5 gallons for example. But that root ball is responsible for a huge harvest up top.

It's a balancing act with your checkbook making the final determination.
Yeah I didn’t think the bigger pots would hurt I just thought if I wasn’t growing massive plants would there be much point in getting the bigger ones but if they create a more stable environment then I think it’s worth it.

I’m not going to grow in a tent which leaves me with only 7-7.5ft of roof space still though as it’s just a small room I had built and I couldn’t get the roof higher as that’s the only space I had 😂

Yeah I’ve definitely looked into the required equipment and I’ll be doing everything I can to ensure it gets properly dialled in.

I’ve only grown twice before once in soil and once in coco I originally wanted to do Rdwc before but couldn’t afford the initial outlay with getting my lights and tent so I opted to start small and work my way up, my main goal is to just better my yield and quality from my last run. I’d like to get a mother plant and start creating perpetual grows so I can pull certain amounts each month. My budget is fine I can buy whatever I need which definitely helps.

Yeah I’ve already got ppm and ph pens I’d just have to look into getting upgraded equipment to better suit Rdwc. Fingers crossed I am good at it 😂

Nah and from that picture I think I’ll definitely get the bigger pot system just from how nice your root ball looks in the bigger pot. Can I ask what kind of yield you’d gett of a plant with a root ball that size? Or is there to many limiting factors?

Yeah it’s all about what you spend in this day and age 🤙

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nah and from that picture I think I’ll definitely get the bigger pot system just from how nice your root ball looks in the bigger pot. Can I ask what kind of yield you’d gett of a plant with a root ball that size? Or is there to many limiting factors?

Yeah it’s all about what you spend in this day and age 🤙

I'm probably not a good example of yield, I'm a weirdo that pushes this and pulls that and I don't really go for yield. I'm more about bringing out this or that cannabinoid or trait.

Put that aside, and understanding that I inject CO2 and have perfect conditions and light, and 2 pounds from that plant is within reach. That's if I'm running in a 4x4 space.

I've reconfigured several times, originally I was 6 pots in a 4x8x8 due to plant limits, and I would reliably get 4 pounds out of a grow. But there are soooo many factors that go into that that my numbers really mean nothing to you except a range to maybe shoot for. People growing for yield over all else will beat those numbers with the right genetics.

X

xX24nuggetsXx

I'm probably not a good example of yield, I'm a weirdo that pushes this and pulls that and I don't really go for yield. I'm more about bringing out this or that cannabinoid or trait.

Put that aside, and understanding that I inject CO2 and have perfect conditions and light, and 2 pounds from that plant is within reach. That's if I'm running in a 4x4 space.

I've reconfigured several times, originally I was 6 pots in a 4x8x8 due to plant limits, and I would reliably get 4 pounds out of a grow. But there are soooo many factors that go into that that my numbers really mean nothing to you except a range to maybe shoot for. People growing for yield over all else will beat those numbers with the right genetics.
Yeah definitely good point my overall goal is yield as I wanna see how much I can get in 1 grow but I also don’t wanna give up quality either so I guess it really is all a balancing act. I still feel like 4 pounds from that size area would be considered good would it not?

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

I'm gonna stick with the 5-gal systems.. Started with Waterfarms. Wasn't happy with not being able to circulate the water.. Modified the WFs slightly so I could add a reservoir.. The mod allowed the dripring to draw water directly from the reservoir, gravity return to the reservoir.. Cirulation rate about 5-6 gal. an hour, about 120. gallons a day.. I try to limit my grows to 100 days of less. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/deep-water-culture.93398/page-3#post-2082531 Oh forgot to mention, no electric water pumps or air stones

X

xX24nuggetsXx

Ye
I'm gonna stick with the 5-gal systems.. Started with Waterfarms. Wasn't happy with not being able to circulate the water.. Modified the WFs slightly so I could add a reservoir.. The mod allowed the dripring to draw water directly from the reservoir, gravity return to the reservoir.. Cirulation rate about 5-6 gal. an hour, about 120. gallons a day.. I try to limit my grows to 100 days of less. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/deep-water-culture.93398/page-3#post-2082531 Oh forgot to mention, no electric water pumps or air stones
Yeah I’d definitely like getting my grows done every 100 days. Do your root balls get to big during the 100 days in the 5 gallon pots?

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

The root ball will fill absolutely will fill a WF in a 100 day grow.. Using a bucket instead of a WF will add about 40% more room for the roots. I've even used 5 gallon Igloo water coolers to try and beat the summer heat. Its a 7-year old thread.. If you want to see it, Google [DWC Waterloo scrog recirculating reservoir,, ] The scrog was changed to 18"x24".
I'll be restarting this thread.. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/two-recurlating-igloo-grows-aka-waterloos.108883/#post-2356362 when my gg-1 seeds arrive.. The mods are quite simple, you will need to order parts. 1 part for each grow bucket. about $4-6 dollars each.. 6.99 shipping no matter how many parts you order.

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

X you need to refresh after you preview and post to see that it posted the first time.. I've double posted several times before I figured that out..

X

xX24nuggetsXx

The root ball will fill absolutely will fill a WF in a 100 day grow.. Using a bucket instead of a WF will add about 40% more room for the roots. I've even used 5 gallon Igloo water coolers to try and beat the summer heat. Its a 7-year old thread.. If you want to see it, Google [DWC Waterloo scrog recirculating reservoir,, ] The scrog was changed to 18"x24".
I'll be restarting this thread.. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/two-recurlating-igloo-grows-aka-waterloos.108883/#post-2356362 when my gg-1 seeds arrive.. The mods are quite simple, you will need to order parts. 1 part for each grow bucket. about $4-6 dollars each.. 6.99 shipping no matter how many parts you order.
Ok sweet so a 5 gallon bucket would be big enough to do a 100 day grow in? As the pot space is 65cm from centre to centre of each pot so the guide states to only veg for 10 days but that’s obviously in a perfect environment. I’d veg for 30 and then flip or do you think that would still be to much for plant spacing if that size?

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

If it's ok with you, tomorrow I'll post pics of 1 grow bucket, and the reservoir with the feedback reservoir. Also, how it's plumbed. The idea of moving water from a distance reservoir, using an air pump, is over 300 years old. It does have its limitations.

X

xX24nuggetsXx

If it's ok with you, tomorrow I'll post pics of 1 grow bucket, and the reservoir with the feedback reservoir. Also, how it's plumbed. The idea of moving water from a distance reservoir, using an air pump, is over 300 years old. It does have its limitations.
Yeah that would be good I’d love to have a look at it!

Richju2175

Richju2175

That is awesome . I like what I hear I’m a newbie and I have a 4x4 I have 4-13 gal in the tent and 1- 13gal Rez out side of tent I do want to run big Yield as your speaking. I’m sorry for cutting in your guys conversations. But sounds like you got it down . Could you just give me a lil info how to get big yields what I need to do that . I run a 600 Rspec Hlg light infinity fan. Right now I’m using super natural as my nutrients. The base I’m not sure . I’m just using cal-mag and hydro guard by bonticare . Please tell me what I should use . I have a 2 stage or 3 RO BUT ITS NOT HOOKED UP AND PLUS I WASNT sure I wanted to waste 50 gals to get 50 . But I like how you talked . I want to do it like you are. Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom