Re-vegging?

• Thread starter Cushdy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cushdy

What I would like to know from those with personal experience. Is the long process of re-vegging cuttings beneficial in terms of more weight/ bigger yields?

dire wolf

dire wolf

No, re vegging is a time consuming agonizing pain in the ass, is there a reason why you cant take cuttings off your veg plants and make more / many clones ? In that case you can grow more plants from your mother and have a lot more bud sites that havent been stressed ....
Just curious, where did you get the idea that re vegging creates more yield ?

C

Cushdy

No, re vegging is a time consuming agonizing pain in the ass, is there a reason why you cant take cuttings off your veg plants and make more / many clones ? In that case you can grow more plants from your mother and have a lot more bud sites that havent been stressed ....
Just curious, where did you get the idea that re vegging creates more yield ?
Thanks for the reply. Well it goes to prove the fact that most information online is bs. I did keep a couple mothers back, I've flowered those now due to lack of space. But took plenty clones that are now nicely vegging plants, waiting for space in the flower room. The re-vegging thing was purely an experiment. As I read or saw something online which said although it's long. It produces more bud sites. But like you said. To me me it sounds like all it will do is stress the living daylights out of it!?

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

If you want to mess with revegging, just harvest above the first node when the cuttings are done, and then put them under 18/6. They'll grow back bushier.

C

Cushdy

If you want to mess with revegging, just harvest above the first node when the cuttings are done, and then put them under 18/6. They'll grow back bushier.
Is it worth doing though? & I think I'll need a more in depth explanation? I can successfully take cuttings but I'm no master grower, yet

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Is it worth doing though? & I think I'll need a more in depth explanation? I can successfully take cuttings but I'm no master grower, yet

Haha neither am I! I'm just a plant nerd.

I do it to save genetics that work well with me. No way to know how a strain is going to affect me without really trying it, and there's no way to do that without sampling both fresh and cured buds, right? So if there's a plant that fits what I'm looking for, I'll harvest it at the main stem, just above the first branches. The bud sites there will grow out into stems and leaves and it'll just start vegging again. After revegging, it'll grow back with less internode spacing.

I haven't messed with CO2 yet, but I know some of the old heads on here do.

C

Cushdy

Haha neither am I! I'm just a plant nerd.

I do it to save genetics that work well with me. No way to know how a strain is going to affect me without really trying it, and there's no way to do that without sampling both fresh and cured buds, right? So if there's a plant that fits what I'm looking for, I'll harvest it at the main stem, just above the first branches. The bud sites there will grow out into stems and leaves and it'll just start vegging again. After revegging, it'll grow back with less internode spacing.

I haven't messed with CO2 yet, but I know some of the old heads on here do.
Now that makes sense. I'd heard that down the line. Its possible I might have to do that if I've took my eye off the ball? I had a couple of randoms that I'm not familiar with. Now everything is in flower I'm hoping I've captured all the strains with the next batch of clones?
I've ventured into using co2 now. This 1 that's on its last 20 odd days is the best I've ever come across. The difference is night & day

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Awesome! I've gotta get my space more dialed in before I add any other variables.

Yeah, I've stopped thinking of the flowering phase as "the end" of a plant. The first grow is like a first date. Revegging is calling her back and inviting her inside. 😄

dire wolf

dire wolf

Thanks for the reply. Well it goes to prove the fact that most information online is bs. I did keep a couple mothers back, I've flowered those now due to lack of space. But took plenty clones that are now nicely vegging plants, waiting for space in the flower room. The re-vegging thing was purely an experiment. As I read or saw something online which said although it's long. It produces more bud sites. But like you said. To me me it sounds like all it will do is stress the living daylights out of it!?
Stress the living daylight out of it and you !

dire wolf

dire wolf

Now that makes sense. I'd heard that down the line. Its possible I might have to do that if I've took my eye off the ball? I had a couple of randoms that I'm not familiar with. Now everything is in flower I'm hoping I've captured all the strains with the next batch of clones?
I've ventured into using co2 now. This 1 that's on its last 20 odd days is the best I've ever come across. The difference is night & day
Am i missing something here ? Cant you just make a few clone cuttings and save them.....
If you like the plant, then your ready to roll, otherwise you are going to have to deal with the tired root mass , and flower medium that now has to be switched to grow medium, and at least a month or more of recovery time, that re veg idea sounds completely unconventional, i never saw anyone think in those terms and i been growing for 30 years, maybe just maybe if you had a rare clone only or unique strain to save, but otherwise i cant see the point....

Last edited:
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Am i missing something here ? Cant you just make a few clone cuttings and save them.....
If you like the plant, then your ready to roll, otherwise you are going to have to deal with the tired root mass , and flower medium that now has to be switched to grow medium, and at least a month or more of recovery time, that re veg idea sounds completely unconventional, i never saw anyone think in those terms and i been growing for 30 years, maybe just maybe if you had a rare clone only or unique strain to save, but otherwise i cant see the point....

I mean yeah, it's unconventional. But I don't change mediums from veg to flower, and I just up-pot to let it reveg. It's pretty simple and I don't have to worry about cloning. Not to mention the shorter internode spacing that comes with the revegging. If I want to take clones, I'll do it from a revegged mother.

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

I mean yeah, it's unconventional. But I don't change mediums from veg to flower, and I just up-pot to let it reveg. It's pretty simple and I don't have to worry about cloning. Not to mention the shorter internode spacing that comes with the revegging. If I want to take clones, I'll do it from a revegged mother.

Cool, different strokes, yea could work out fine.....
How long does it usually take to re vev , then get enough growth going to take clones and flip back to flower?

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Cool, different strokes, yea could work out fine.....
How long does it usually take to re vev , then get enough growth going to take clones and flip back to flower?

It depends on the strain so far for me. Some don't even miss a beat, most have generally started growing again within a couple weeks. I haven't done side by side comparisons yet, but it definitely seems like the second round of vegetative growth is faster than the initial one, maybe because the roots are already quite established? It started off as a reverse-engineered solution for minimizing stretch in sativas and has taken off from there. I'll know a lot more in a year! 😄

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Because of plant count i re veg flowering even almost finished plants cuttings to run them again if i really like the flowers and structure.

The clones usually root in the same 2 weeks as usual but then take an extra month or more to grow out of all the deformed confused stages.

Re veg is not too useful if you are in a hurry. But it has always worked fine for me. Just revegged whole plants sometimes fet way to branchy and bushy and produce larfy buds in my experience. Cuttings worked much better for me.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I often take cuts from plants that are a few weeks into flower. I only do this because I decide I want to keep those genetics. For example, I just took 5 CBD cuts from a plant that is 3 - 4 weeks into flower because I wanted a grow dedicated entirely to my CBD plants. From experience, there is no difference in outcome from cuts taken in veg or flower. The flower cuts just take a little longer to reveg once they root.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

There is a technique for this. It's called monstercropping. You cut the clones exactly 2 weeks in. Maybe a little less for some strains that develop quicker. The idea is to have it fan out like fimming etc. But not take to long to kick back into reveg mode. If it goes to far they come out messed up and won't bud well with the weird growth you get at 3 or 4 weeks in.

C

Cushdy

There is a technique for this. It's called monstercropping. You cut the clones exactly 2 weeks in. Maybe a little less for some strains that develop quicker. The idea is to have it fan out like fimming etc. But not take to long to kick back into reveg mode. If it goes to far they come out messed up and won't bud well with the weird growth you get at 3 or 4 weeks in.
Well this is what originally set me on this path of bothering to experiment with re-vegging. I took this batch maybe 10/12 days in flower. The reason behind all this was coz I heard they have more bud sites. I guess if I push these through I'll know if it's worth the longer process? But that's just 1 method. @Kanzeon has success in re-vegging after harvest. Which was the method I originally stumbled over on yt. Though not gonna lie, I'm confused? I heard "monster cropping" was like what @HeLLfiReZ says regarding the re-vegging process being known as monster cropping. So ive got the method of Lst mixed up with monster cropping? I thought by training your plants specifically that was also known as monster cropping? I've no fist hand knowledge of what's actually right, wrong or real. All the stuff about this I've seen on yt
It depends on the strain so far for me. Some don't even miss a beat, most have generally started growing again within a couple weeks. I haven't done side by side comparisons yet, but it definitely seems like the second round of vegetative growth is faster than the initial one, maybe because the roots are already quite established? It started off as a reverse-engineered solution for minimizing stretch in sativas and has taken off from there. I'll know a lot more in a year! 😄
Sorry I had to jump off the thread due to the time dif here. Seems to me you sound like the go 2 guy for real time experience with re-vegging. After what you've said I'm really tempted to give it a go.. not 2 sure about the long way I've gone about it though? The way you've described doing it after harvest makes a lot more sense💯🎯

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Sorry I had to jump off the thread due to the time dif here. Seems to me you sound like the go 2 guy for real time experience with re-vegging. After what you've said I'm really tempted to give it a go.. not 2 sure about the long way I've gone about it though? The way you've described doing it after harvest makes a lot more sense💯🎯

Give it a shot! There's nothing to lose and only good flower to gain! I actually just did it today with a G13 Haze plant, still with the label from starting it in September. 🙂

Screenshot from 2020 01 15 12 04 00

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Its one of those try it and see what happens things. Working with the same plant over and over you can dial in to the best day to cut them.

Tbh fimming, topping etc it all works great. Just a matter of preference. They all arrive at a similar result, a full canopy.

Top Bottom