Recommend a ph meter

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thc4sim

Yea, its gotta be the bluelab wand for me too!!
ive gone through all sorts of ph meters over the years and this is the best ive used!

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
I ended up getting a Hanna Champ from local grow shop at 70euros.

K

koopa troopa

oh no! the local hydro guy told me i'd be back in there many times if i bought the champ, so i got the milwaukee. i'm a little surprised you went the cheap route though.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Well i have no money at the moment so i had to go with the cheaper option
(thats what living in amsterdam does to you)

W

Wonderon

www.eseasongear.com good prices and free shipping

He sells a lot of multi units which i keep hearing bad things about, was considering a hanna for a bit. I'm in need of one of these too, hoping to find a blue lab truncheon for a nice price but I have been eying that cheapo one on ebay from china and they have the same from hong kong so i guess the decision there would be which country do I want to support...I'd rather keep the money home so hopefully a blue labs comes my way.

L

LTLU

I got a ph meter for 50 quid 2 years ago... only used it a few times as I grow in soil and really a ph meter is not needed.. if you are going hydro, then what you really need is a something called "a wand" or is it a "truncheon"? it has both ph and ec meter from what i can gather and about £60 to buy.

If you are growing in soil I would say dont buy a ph meter and spend the money on something else like a better reflector or a decent rvk... but if your in hydro... you need the wand man.

hope this helps.

W

Wonderon

Well, you need the ph meter or simple ph strips so you can test your water going in and coming out of your pots(runoff). The EC meter is what you use to let you know how much nutrient content is in your water. So basically it is very helpful to have both on hand when growing soil, coco, or hydro. For ph you can get away with ph strips from an aquarium store and then the truncheon is where you want to put your money. Bluelabs and milwaukee are both over $100 brand new. Good luck.

B

Bean Curd

Glad I found this thread, getting ready to purchase a ph meter, probably gonna go for the Milwaukee.

F

FastForward

I just received my 20 quid cheapo pH truncheon (far east copy of a bluelab type) and I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed. It's calibrated out of the box and gives decent readings for the few I've taken this morning. It's also really nice leaving the stick in the bucket and not having to take it out to re-read when adding in stuff. If it lasts 6 months it'll be worth it.

Ph
B

Buddy Boy

I like the Milwaukee PH meter. It also gives the water temp. I think they have one that does the tds also.

hubcap

hubcap

am i the only one who still uses a drop bottle and a sample tube?????

gawd i feel old

M

MR.SOG

sunlight supply co recommends the oakton basic ph. they say it stays calibrated and is very reliable. i never heard of the brand but i ordered one anyway.

W

Wonderon

I just received my 20 quid cheapo pH truncheon (far east copy of a bluelab type) and I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed. It's calibrated out of the box and gives decent readings for the few I've taken this morning. It's also really nice leaving the stick in the bucket and not having to take it out to re-read when adding in stuff. If it lasts 6 months it'll be worth it.

Damn, thats bigger then I thought it would be, judging by the hand. I expected an aquarium thermometer type thing as I've never saw one before other the pics. Is that just Ph or is ie ec too? Almost bought the EC but was waiting to see if I could find a decent priced BL meter. So which country did you buy yours from, they sell em from China and Hong Kong?

F

FastForward

Damn, thats bigger then I thought it would be, judging by the hand. I expected an aquarium thermometer type thing as I've never saw one before other the pics. Is that just Ph or is ie ec too? Almost bought the EC but was waiting to see if I could find a decent priced BL meter. So which country did you buy yours from, they sell em from China and Hong Kong?

Mine's probably somewhere China-ish....typical scenario of far east sellers with a local shipping point because no-one wants to order ebay from all that way (time, cost, import duty). Bought on ebay uk. Use "pH stick" for search terms.

I've now lived with it for a few days and I'm deeply in love with it. I'll never go back to a non-truncheon pH ever again. It's so much easier to work with than a pH meter, gives a constant update whilst stirring up solutions (hands free) and was CHEAP! The Bluelab pH truncheon mk1 goes for 75-100 GBP here - and this does exactly the same for 20. It might not last as long but for 20 quid who cares...that's cheaper than most replacement pH heads!!

Btw, mine's just pH. I use a Bluelab for EC. Two truncheons rock. One for both would be too uber for words :)

M

MR.SOG

i was in the market for a bluelab ph truncheon before i got the oakton. but bluelab has discontinued their model of their ph truncheon (not ec). i also have read reports of the bluelab's version misreading and doing funny things after a few months. please let us know in a few months if the wand starts acting funny. i might just buy a generic brand since its pretty inexpensive.

U

ukcheesehead

hey dude its the same as mine . im on my 2nd grow with it and havnt had too calibrate it as yet i test it every 2 weeks but it stays spot on . only thing i dont no why i have to take the endcap of to turn it off because the lights flash all the time. also be carefull when mixing the water try not to hit the res or this will happen.....CRACK

i won it for £11.99 was well happy just hope it lasts this grow going to get a better 1 then

yts farmer

yts farmer

when i first started growing about 6 years ago i went through quite a few of the orange hobby ph pens and at that time they wernt exactly cheap.

about 4 and a half years ago i bought a growth technology ph probe and the thing has been going ever since.

only calabarate it around once a month and only strays a point either way.you can also buy replacement probes as well but as long as you keep some storage soloution in the cap the probe should last for quite a while.

Top Bottom