Recommendations On Bagged Organic Soil

• Thread starter motoem
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

motoem

So can anyone recomend a organic soil they have purchased and had good results from?

hubcap

hubcap

hiya farmer, motoem.
your inquiry is a common one and has been asked quite a few times already.
take a browse thru the forum that youre in now and look thru a few threads.
alot of farmers discuss "soil mixes" and recipes and the such.
alot of good info already posted.

read thru a few of them and gather some possibilities that will work best for your grow situation and THEN come back and ask a few questions.
this way, youll have more of an idea on what path you want to take and we can offer better, more fine tuned, advice, based on the decisions you make for your grow and situation.

hope that helps a bit.

-cap

C

cannabill

What Hubcap said is your best bet , that way you can tell good advice from B.S. I have found that listening to the senior farmers here is gold. I use subcool's soil formula and have quality results. ~ Bill

sedate

sedate

cannabill said:
I use subcool's soil formula and have quality results

Agreed.

FoxFarm is okay if you avoid the Ocean Forest Blend - pH is way too high for cannabis. Happy Frog is better than Ocean Blend, but SunShine Mix would be my choice for a base soil.

Dump cottonseed meal, bone meal, lots of sea kelp, and azomite in the soil - along with some blood meal if you plan on veggin in that soil for long - and some perlite and/or vermiculite.

hubcap

hubcap

FoxFarm is okay if you avoid the Ocean Forest Blend - pH is way too high for cannabis.

i would hafta disagree.
first hand, ive been using it for years with a wide array of various nute regimes, never, ever having the pH being "too high."
and theres many, many other growers out there with like results. many documented grows with satisfied customers of the FFOF.
this is the first ive ever heard of fox farms ANYTHING being too HIGH of a pH. im thinking there is something else to this equation that we dont know about yet.........?
but, if anything, fox farms products are known to be acidic (LOWER than 7 pH).
like i stated in the other thread, all organic based mixes will gradually get more acidic over time. this is true with FFOF, and peat based mixes, for example.
anyways, farmer motoem....
i could recommend:

-Fox Farm Ocean Forest/Fox Farm Light Warrior/Perlite Mix
-subcools mix is good
-bog had a nice mix
-even think rez and gratefulhead posted their mixes...

-many people have good mixes.
-most will do just fine.
if youre looking for out of bag success, IMO, its hard to beat the FFOF. just add perlite.
there are skeptics out there and people that DONT like it, but the ones that do FAR out weigh the ones that don't. im not a statistician nor do i "keep score" but im very confident in that statement. ive watched people that couldnt grow mold on old food grow great weed in FFOF. plain and simple.

its when pure sativas are being run is when people really need to pay attention to whats in their soil; not to have it too hot. they dont like it too hot and can be very picky. some flat out refuse to eat and show discontent when "force fed."
for pure indies and hybrids, any good rich soil mix will rock. just my two bits.

-cap

T

txdank77

I just started using fox farm ocean forest organic and it worked very nice for me and prob alot of people around this website too i recommend it!!! And the soil ph is already ajusted for MAXIMUM NUTRIENT UPTAKE!!!!!! Just your soil not you nutrient solution...

D

Dcleatr

We just finished a "test grow" using a 2:1 mix of FF Ocean Forest and Light Warrior. Great results... was suggested on another forum and my supplier liked it too.

t.o.med

t.o.med

the canna bio terra is working good for me so far but this is my first run with it.

M

matkins1234

Agreed.

FoxFarm is okay if you avoid the Ocean Forest Blend - pH is way too high for cannabis. Happy Frog is better than Ocean Blend, but SunShine Mix would be my choice for a base soil.

Dump cottonseed meal, bone meal, lots of sea kelp, and azomite in the soil - along with some blood meal if you plan on veggin in that soil for long - and some perlite and/or vermiculite.

Dude, you're supposed to flush your soil with ph balanced water before you transplant. With a thorough flush, you don't have any of ph issues what so ever, (even though it's never been issue with ocean forest when I haven't PH balanced it first), also most of the stuff you mentioned is in the Ocean Forest.

You can add happy frog too if you want, however I personally would recommend AGAINST adding perlite. Fox Farm soil is rich with nutrients and has coco fiber mixed in, as well as perlite, so it is more than airy enough for the roots to penetrate with ease. Adding more perlite takes away from the nutrient rich complex that's already been developed, without bringing much more to the table.

I have a personal mix that I picked up from a friend that I like to use, however I cannot reveal all the details to the recipe as it is his secret recipe, not mine.

What I will say is this though, It's based around Ocean Forest and it does not require any more perlite. It was developed after many years of testing, including increased perlite recipes.

hubcap

hubcap

We just finished a "test grow" using a 2:1 mix of FF Ocean Forest and Light Warrior. Great results... was suggested on another forum and my supplier liked it too.

yes, this is the "general consensus" when using Fox Farms Ocean Forest. While its a GREAT out of the bag organic soil, it really tends to compact over time. this is why you'll hear alot of growers say, "cut it with Fox Farm Light Warrior," or, "Cut it in half with perlite," etc, etc....
i, too, recommend cutting/aerating/what have you the Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil as well.
Its a great soil for those just getting the feel for growing, and tuned in growers alike, imo.

reusing the soil is pretty easy too if a good flush was done at the end of the previous cycle.
simply remove all root matter.....
and "recharge it" with EarthWormCastings (EWC).

this will add back one of the best organic sources of (N)itrogen into the soil, and will help balance the N-P-K ratios in the soil if it still retains a lil bit of the flowering nutes (P&K)

but anyways, i can recommend FFOF as well. Just make sure you cut it. perlite is a great CHEAP way to stretch growing medium, and allows a grower good control over their run and how to fine tune things to their specific set up.

*edit:
as mentioned above, the soil (aka FOOD) will be replaced by perlite, but this is a simple solution.
ADD MORE FOOD WHEN FEEDING.

easy as pie. perlite is a great amendment, imo.

while these mixes and all are great, i think, people tend to get carried away and dont realize how simple these things are with simple understanding of what MJ needs during its life cycle, and when.

"secret recipes?"
c'mon man!

-cap

justbud

justbud

ive bought all sorts of soils outta grows shops buddie and ive found that the organic stuff outta b&q does the same job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom