Recurring problem, new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades.

• Thread starter EnteoGarden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

EnteoGarden

I have had this problem since I started growing on this spot. Before it was much worse, but it seems to be correcting itself, I guess thanks to everything I have been adding to the soil.

This year has hardly given me any problems and the general health of the plants could be defined as good or very good.
But still from time to time they show these symptoms, so finally I have decided to ask to see if you can help me to find the problem.

To begin with, I am in Europe, specifically in Spain, and it is a totally organic cultivation in direct soil for my own consumption, so I feed them with many things that I even eat myself (spirulina, purslane, etc..).
The base substrate I would say is sandy and clayey, but in the last 3 years I have fertilized abundantly with horse and sheep manure, as well as many other soil improvers such as Dolomite, bat guano, worm humus, compost.....

I water them with well water and homemade fertilizers such as nettle manure, dandelion manure, etc.
I usually fill some drums with water from the well and let it stand for a while, which raises its pH, after this, I regulate the pH in the drums and water.
But there are times that I water directly with the hose without regulating the pH or even I have made some channels around them to fill them with water from the agricultural channels when they are filled and moisten the soil, this water obviously does not have an optimum pH.
I explain all this because it is the only cause that I have been able to relate to this yellowing.

Obviously it should not surprise me that when watering with an inadequate pH the plants show some deficiency, but as I say, it is a recurrent problem that in many other occasions has appeared to me without apparent cause and also has also disappeared by itself. But it is true that it is usually aggravated after watering and after a few days when the substrate dries it seems to recover.

The pH of the substrate I have measured it with the typical cheap meter and it gives me 7 but I do not trust much, but I have added a lot of organic matter and dolomite. Even a pinch of iron sulfate in some points in case it was necessary.

As I say, it seems that over time it is solving itself, but now flowering is just beginning and some plant has shown symptoms, and I would be very annoyed if this year's crop ends up being spoiled by this that I have not been able to identify or remedy in so long.

Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 2
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 3
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 4
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 5
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 6
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 7
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 8
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 9
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 10
Recurring problem new growth lime green sometimes with reddish shades 11

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Your plants look good to my eyes. Lime green coloring on new growth/foliage is normal for pretty much all plants. Here's a good example pic of new growth on my Carolina Allspice:

IMG 20220720 083530

As the new growth ages, it will darken just like you've been seeing.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You seem to suspect pH and I agree. A pH of 7 is too high and causes lockout of several immobile nutrients, including iron and zinc. Is this a soil pH or a water pH?

Never add dolomite UNLESS you want to raise your soil pH. The calcium and magnesium it contains is just a side benefit and not the reason to add it to your soil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom