Recycling grolight heat

• Thread starter leadplant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadplant

leadplant

As we all know, HID lights kick out alot of heat and its a PITA to deal with high temps. and overheating. In the wintertime, that all changes. HID heat becomes your friend and is easy to manage. Not enough heat becomes the issue. My goal this winter is to heat my crib entirely from grolight heat. Here are the issues I have daydreamed about so far.

1. It will be necessary to have a dual gro setup on a flip flop schedule. What sucks about this is that both gro rooms need to be separate and lightproof from each other, yet still able to exchange air with each other freely. Each room will be about a 1000watts of light which I'm counting on to heat my whole crib which is about 600 square feet.

2. Rather than exhausting outside, the blower will redirect the heated grolight air to the other room of my crib. The air will work its way through back to the groroom1. Groroom1 is adjacent to groroom2 and the air should pass through from 1 to 2 in series without restriction. Some kind of a lightproof air baffle seems necessary. I have heard about darkroom louvres but would rather do something simpler if possible. A few pieces of plywood arranged in two 90 degree angles painted black should work but its still quite PITA.

3. The blower will have a carbon filter on it. The hope is the constant recirculating indoor smelly air can be cleansed without having to exhaust to the outside as much as is usually done in the summer. My fear is that smell wont be eliminated as easily this way.

4. Preferably, I'd wanna minimize exhausting to the outdoors so as to conserve the heat. I will need some ventilation of course to replenish co2 and lower humidity but I want to put a smaller blower, say 75-100cfm running 24/7 to the cold outdoors.

I have searched around some on this topic but its hard to get definitive, uncomplicated advice. I'm willing to experiment but I wanna ask yall fellow farmers about it first. Peace

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

re

the air from the lights contains little CO2, but if ya had to create a chamber room and blow the hot air in there, then enrich it with co2 it would be fine,

doubleds knows alot about running continue setups

it is very possible though,

leadplant

leadplant

Glad you mentioned co2 enrichment because thats what I wanted to do at first. I was going to go with a totally sealed room with co2. I decided against it though cuz I don't wanna lug cylinders and am afraid that Co2 generators could be a possible carbon monoxide hazard. I I would definetely prefer sealed w/ co2 if I could eliminate those two minuses.

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

Glad you mentioned co2 enrichment because thats what I wanted to do at first. I was going to go with a totally sealed room with co2. I decided against it though cuz I don't wanna lug cylinders and am afraid that Co2 generators could be a possible carbon monoxide hazard. I I would definetely prefer sealed w/ co2 if I could eliminate those two minuses.

Doubleds is a member on this forum and he is a whizz at sealed rooms, shoot him a pm with some questions, he would gladly assist you in your choice.

D

doubleds

nice

What your trying to do will be very difficult UNLESS you use cooltubes. Cooltubes are cylindrical glasstubes you can attach hoses and fans to blow cold air through the tubes which contain your lights. The end tube can be redirected into your home. Many many people i know heat there whole home this way. Best thing there is no co2 and no smell blowing into your home.

Draw in air from outside through the hose through the lights and through the fan and it ends up straight into your home. Make sure your fan is sucking air not blowing air through your tubes.

Hope this helps

dds

M

moggggys

the short version , stick the fan on a timer and restrict the exhausted air to help raise the ambiant temp , stick some home made co2 into the room , the plants will love you for this and it in your case will help to create a normal enviroment , flower at night as the lights will create warmth for the plants while the daytime temps help to warm ther light off period ( if its real cold dont run the fan at all in lights off period ) , line the walls with pir -urithane sheeting to help enclose the enviroment and enable any flucuations to be made by yourself , if your in deep shit then concider 9 on 12 off to enable less cold periods and cooling down of room or a heater in there during lights off , stick with indi`s , they handle lower temps better

P

poutpup07

couldnt you use venting or exhaust pipes like from the hoods of air cooled reflector either 4, 6, or 8 inch piping is available maybe even 10 and 12with a couple of fans you should be able to move the heat........so that way when the one is off you could turn the exhaust the other way and move the heat or vice versa....that way with a couple of turns in the pipe you can keep it lightproof
peace
pup

H

HolliHerb

co2 burners do not create carbon monoxide. The flame burns clean. Using up o2 and fuel only and releasing co2. If the flame burns yellow, than you have a problem. Clean burning flame = blue - white flame.

leadplant

leadplant

Thanks for all the great insights on this everyone.
Doubleds cooltubes and sealed co2 setup sounds like the best but its alot stuff to get, especially if going flip-flop.

Will a propane Co2 burner in a sealed room eventually use up all the oxygen? I think thats when carbon monoxide starts forming. Periodic exhausting to the outside can replenish oxygen rich air but then I hear about growers doing totally sealed co2 setups without any exhausting at all. Hmmm.

4substitution

Think about it in terms of molar chemistry, each chunk of carbon the plant is taking out of the air it's making part of itself with, like a leaf or something. Figure out how much your plants grow in weight each day, that's how much carbon you're taking out of the air. Make a pilot light type system that by burning LP gas produces C02 at a rate that the plants can use it and replenish the atmosphere with enough oxygen to enable the reaction to continue in a closed system. Those are just some rough ideas but if I had to grow in a closed atmosphere that's where I'd begin.

P

poutpup07

really all you would have to do is put a fan on each side and turn one off and the other on when you do your lights out....i dunno maybe it is alot of work...
pup

leadplant

leadplant

^^^^

Are you two bringing in fresh outdoor air or exhausting to the outdoors? or is it more sealed than that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom