Red or blue LEDs for flower?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

I want to buy an led panel on eBay for supplemental lighting on the side of my box during flower. They sell red, blue or a mix of both. What's best for flowering? I'm thinking red but not sure,,,

K11NG

K11NG

should be on the red side but make sure its not some peice of shit china led even if it is for supplimental lighting. do a little research before getting a garbage light, it will pay off on the back end

P

PatFenis

I want to buy an led panel on eBay for supplemental lighting on the side of my box during flower. They sell red, blue or a mix of both. What's best for flowering? I'm thinking red but not sure,,,

Red, 660nm if you get to choose a few different spectrums there are others you should throw in there also.

squiggly

squiggly

All LEDs are not created equal. If you are asking this question, you probably have not done enough research to be buying one (with confidence that you'll get a quality product). The only thing some LEDS will grow is your hate of the company you bought it from.

Red @660nm is correct for flowering--however if you're flowering with ONLY this light, you should really be getting a multi-spectrum light to fulfill all of your plants' needs.

mikeb437

mikeb437

I have a t-5 8 bulb setup at 2 ft long. I'm using that on my grow now but I want a bit more light for the flowering process. I figured that if I add an led light to the side wall I will get better buds. It's a grow box so I need something that won't get too hot. And your absolutely right!! I have done no research. I seen some cheapo LEDs on eBay and figured it wouldn't be too difficult to add one to my grow. What does 660nm mean?

squiggly

squiggly

I have a t-5 8 bulb setup at 2 ft long. I'm using that on my grow now but I want a bit more light for the flowering process. I figured that if I add an led light to the side wall I will get better buds. It's a grow box so I need something that won't get too hot. And your absolutely right!! I have done no research. I seen some cheapo LEDs on eBay and figured it wouldn't be too difficult to add one to my grow. What does 660nm mean?

660nm (nanometers) is the wavelength of red light at which chlorophyll is best able to absorb a photon. Again, I urge you not to buy a "cheapo" LED. You're better off buying nothing if that is your plan--there is a pervasive and scummy industry out there providing VERY VERY low quality boards to people. If you're not paying at least nearing $200, you probably are going to be buying a shit product (and that's for a 90W).

Shit = misreported wavelengths, power draws, light output. Also it means the board is likely to break quickly--and probably doesn't have a warranty.

Not all LEDs are made equal. In fact, even the brand of diode (bulb) being used matters alot, as well as any lenses (or lackthereof) affixed to the diode.

Really recommend you do your homework, or you might as well go flush ur money down the toilet now. Or, I guess you could use it to go buy some weed--you'll probably see a greater increase in yield and quality doing that :)

mikeb437

mikeb437

Lol. Thanks squiggly, I'll defiantly do sum research before I spend my hard earned dollars! Has anyone got any recommendations on a company name or brand I should be looking at? I figure if I buy it from a reputable hydro shop it should be decent right?

S

singularity

Sounds to me like you're looking at those 5mm or jumbo LED panels on ebay, don't waste your money on those.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

You are going to want reds and blues. More reds than blues. There are different reds and blues that you will want to use. I, myself, would not flower with compact florescents or suggest that anyone does. You do need lots of white light, though. If you don't have specific yellows and oranges, you will need a lot of white, along with red. If you are afraid of heat or have heat issues, then you are not ventilating your grow room well enough.

Top Bottom