Redoing my 8 by 12, 6k grow room...any input welcome

• Thread starter budfriend
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budfriend

budfriend

Hi Guys

First off. Everyone is so cool and nice on the Farm. Im glad im on here.

I want to grow trees. My original inspiration for this is DD. Your a cool dude. Now im tweaking things because of reading everyone elses post on here and my situation.

i have probably spent 60-80 hours reading posts and logs. I want to step up my game. Been growing for about 6 years but learned everything on my own making mistakes. I'm new to the internet thing. Learning alot.

I WANT TO CREATE THE MOST SIMPLE PROBLEM FREE SYSTEM POSSIBLE. ONE YOU CAN HAVE YOU BEST FRIEND WATCH WHILE YOUR AWAY WITHOUT ISSUE WHILE GETTING THE HIGH QUALITY AND YIELDS DD AND OTHERS ARE.

So im redoing my grow room. It is 8 by 12. Unfortunatly the ceiling is short only 7ft 2in.

I have 6 1000w. They can be hps or halide. Currently i have all hps bulbs. I have 6 8in cool tubes. I am not going to add any more lights.

I am going to switch to vertical lighting and aircool them like i have seen pikes peek 69 and reeferman do. I really like how they use rigid metal instead of ducting. Does that really give you that much more pressure. I am going to push instead of pull. after reading this seems best.

I want to try two systems out. One a combo of DD and the undercurrent i have created in my head. And another of someone with alot of knowledge who is using straight perilite in 6 gallon buckets and getting the same results with less headache. He can make himself known if he wants.

I look forward to all the comments and suggestions. Ill be posting more but i have bad A.D.D so posting will be broken up.

U

ugmjfarmer

Suggestion for your hybrid DD/Under Current: Use 28 Gallon Square Rubbermaid Brutes.

They are square, not rectangular so they might footprint out better. The cost is higher. The use of unseals and 2" pipe would be cheaper then those quick connects for sure. I see no reason to not circulate underneath the system using an inline pump, just make sure you install some sort of valve there so you can change the pump.

Also why not push and pull the air through those lights. That way you have some suction pulling the air through as well, which should keep pressure induced air leaks from spilling hot air into the room.

budfriend

budfriend

thanks for the suggestions.

-i have thought about using larger tanks. I was thinking of using one the size of DD. If more water is benificial then im for it but at some point i think i am wasting water and nutrients. I wonder what DD thinks about the benifit of using larger tanks??

Right now i am pulling. I pushed and pulled at the same time but it did not do much diffence but i have extra fans. I really want to try ridgid metal ducting like pikes peak 69 uses. It is supposed to make air flow better, more pressure Pikes peak If you see this any tips would be appreciated. Still trying to figure out in my head.

Really i want the simplest most effective room possible. That is what i like about the undercurrent part of the design. NO need to put buckets on rizers. No tubing except for the airlines.

Also i was thinking of using plumbing fittings like jalisco kid always says. I want leak proof. DO you guys think the usiseals will leak after some wear and tear? Also if there 3in tubing? Can you guys think of any negative to using larger pvc pipe or will that mess up the pressure. Also with pvc pipe you would not have to change out the tubing like DD does every run Right??????????

Also i was thinking of using the self cleaning silcone tubing jalisco kid is always talking about. Im still unclear actally what this is. Is it just silcone tubing with holes in it? How much leangth per bucket?

It seems to me DD gets his results because:
1. He has the perfect environment.
2. Moves the nutrient solution around
3. Tons of oxygen
4. Spacing of plants and lights. Im pretty sure i read he said he got a larger yield with less plants......very interesting. Am I correct on this????
5. Good strain, dialing it in, good nute schedule.

I want the simplest way to do this. Easy to set up and break down.

budfriend

budfriend

Environment controls

So i have always exhausted and had an intake. I'm thinking im going closed room but also would do it the simple way i have if i can get the desired tempetures.

Does anyone know of a control that can control the spead of your exhaust based upon the temputure you set. RIght now i have a 8in vortex on a speed controller and with the environment now i only have it set at about 50%. I set it as low as possible to get no higher than 82 degrees. The humidity is ussually around 70% which i like it at. Then i have two co2 burners going. In the summer i turn the exhaust up and down in the winter creating more co2 but i wish there was a control that could controll the exhaust. I would rather buy more propane than use the electricity of a AC if i could get my desired ppm. I would like to try this idea first. I am thinking this method with one 8 or 10 in fan per 3 lights. It would be so cool to control the envirenment this way.

Also for an ac closed room, as far as environmental controls go i am looking at the :

1. Titan Kronus 3 Day/Night Temp CO2 Controller
$374.95 $304.95
Save: $70.00 off

2.Sentinel CHHC-1 Total Environmental Controller
$724.95

3.iGS-220 CO2 Humidity Temperature Controller
$927.95 $689.95
Save: $238.00 off

The last two i was recommended and the Titan is new but half the price. I am wondering if it will perform as well. The titan actually has more features. Anyone know about this or know of a better one. Do any of these have a fan control that can increase and decrease the spead of the fan based on tempeture?
:rastadancing:

budfriend

budfriend

Digital vs Coil and core..aka standard

ALso i am helping my friend set up a legal 8k room. His budget is tight and he is thinking of going with standerd core and coil ballest because you can get 1k for $150 each instead of $315 for 1k. Do you guys think the digtial are that much better.

In october i upgraded and bought 6. 2 popped and i spent alot of money. They do seem brighter but is it really worth double. ALso the warrenty is only for 3 years.

so what do you guys think???

peace

budfriend

budfriend

Cheap Humidifier

So guys i want to get the Faron 707 or hydrofogger but am short on cash right now and i want to order 2 at once so does anyone have a homemade method.

RIght now i have a target humidifer that i have to refil every day and it is a pain in the butt.

I have seen people right about using a ultrasonic humidifier with a 5 gallon bucket. Way easier to refill and a cheap method untill i order the $500 dollar foggers. Also i could put a float valve on the bucket to add water itself.

BUt....How do i do this. I always see people say they do this but how and what models. Looking for cheap because this will be for one run.

I saw referman was doing this. Any help appreciatied.

S

smoke1sun

ALso i am helping my friend set up a legal 8k room. His budget is tight and he is thinking of going with standerd core and coil ballest because you can get 1k for $150 each instead of $315 for 1k. Do you guys think the digtial are that much better.

In october i upgraded and bought 6. 2 popped and i spent alot of money. They do seem brighter but is it really worth double. ALso the warrenty is only for 3 years.

peace

Is that a local price for those 1Ks or online? If online can u hit me with a link?

budfriend

budfriend

digital or old school?? google... i dont even know the best price but have seen those prices recently on the internet. find and take to your local hydro and have them match it...add shipping in. I do that alot.

S

smoke1sun

digital or old school?? google... i dont even know the best price but have seen those prices recently on the internet. find and take to your local hydro and have them match it...add shipping in. I do that alot.

old school. Thanks ill look around.

H

hbstoner

Do any of these have a fan control that can increase and decrease the spead of the fan based on tempeture?

Check out these... Phason VTC-1D . This is exactly what your lookin for.

S

sirsmokealot

You should be able to get a "Budget Grow" 1000 watt ballast made by Sun System with a 2-3 year warrenty for $100 plus tax, at least thats what I pay for them at my local hydro store.

budfriend

budfriend

thanks hbstoner im getting one of those. it might not work in the summer but for winter i think i could get my desired ppm without the hassle of running an ac.

smokealot-do you know if all core and coil have the same output ? are some more efficient.... i would think not much difference but not sure.

W

watercooled

I think the digitals pay for themselves when used by experienced growers.

- just opinion. noobs should save the $ and upgrade later. Don't forget they put out MUCH less heat, so if they are going to be installed in the grow room, that may be something to think about.

budfriend

budfriend

thanks water cooled. I have digis right now but im helping a friend get started and wondering if you guys think the digis are worth the extra money.

J

Janus

...I want to try two systems out. One a combo of DD and the undercurrent i have created in my head. And another of someone with alot of knowledge who is using straight perilite in 6 gallon buckets and getting the same results with less headache. He can make himself known if he wants.

I look forward to all the comments and suggestions. Ill be posting more but i have bad A.D.D so posting will be broken up.

IMO, the current DWC systems are not the best or easiest way for production. I predict there will be lots of probs going forward for these folks. Please, no debate cuz' in the end it will be my opinion against yours.

J

Janus

..Also i was thinking of using plumbing fittings like jalisco kid always says. I want leak proof. DO you guys think the usiseals will leak after some wear and tear?...

...Also i was thinking of using the self cleaning silcone tubing jalisco kid is always talking about. Im still unclear actally what this is. Is it just silcone tubing with holes in it? How much leangth per bucket?...

I want the simplest way to do this. Easy to set up and break down.

I prefer the spin in (plastic welded) fittings that JK always preaches. They're absolutely the best. However, they can only be used on the right type of thick wall plastic. I've also had many years of service from the uniseals in the same thick wall plastic.

I've tried the self cleaning silicone tubing and I'm not a fan. Drilled pvc is equally effective. Length per bkt is dependent on pump type, size, qty of bkts, length of run, 90's, etc. You'll have to experiment.

J

Janus

Also for an ac closed room, as far as environmental controls go i am looking at the :

1. Titan Kronus 3 Day/Night Temp CO2 Controller
$374.95 $304.95
Save: $70.00 off

2.Sentinel CHHC-1 Total Environmental Controller
$724.95

3.iGS-220 CO2 Humidity Temperature Controller
$927.95 $689.95
Save: $238.00 off

The last two i was recommended and the Titan is new but half the price. I am wondering if it will perform as well. The titan actually has more features. Anyone know about this or know of a better one. Do any of these have a fan control that can increase and decrease the spead of the fan based on tempeture?

I've no experience with the Titan. I do however with the Sentinel. I own 2 and IMO are junk. IGS are the most robust/reliable I've found.

J

Janus

peace

Regular core ballast if on a budget are fine.

J

Janus

So guys i want to get the Faron 707 or hydrofogger but am short on cash right now and i want to order 2 at once so does anyone have a homemade method.

RIght now i have a target humidifer that i have to refil every day and it is a pain in the butt.

I have seen people right about using a ultrasonic humidifier with a 5 gallon bucket. Way easier to refill and a cheap method untill i order the $500 dollar foggers. Also i could put a float valve on the bucket to add water itself.

BUt....How do i do this. I always see people say they do this but how and what models. Looking for cheap because this will be for one run.

I saw referman was doing this. Any help appreciatied.

JK is working on a super cheap and seemingly bitchin' homemade humidifier system. Basically some of his misters in box, a 5' or longer exhaust tube, and fan to blow all the humidity out. He says it's been working great. You could easily build one that'll handle your entire room for the cost of a single Faran.

budfriend

budfriend

Thanks Janus for all the insight.

I want to use the spin in plastic fittings like jk does. I want no leaks. Can u buy these at homedepot? What kind of plastic should i put them in. I would love to use jk tubs but that wont happen for awhile. Could i use two 6 gallon buckets? bottom one would be the drain or are they two week. Or would i have to use something else. Maybe those 13 gallon ones people are using for DD that they are getting from Home depot? I have some money to spend but not alot.

Also i want to do perilite ahead of dwc but am worried about my room only being 7'2" tall. Perilite seems so much simplier. Simplier is better in my opinion. Could i fit the perilite buckets in there growing trees? The drain would have to be at least 14 inches off the ground(height of 100g rez) plus height of both buckets before the plant would start growing. Then i have charcol filters, co2 burner, sulfer bunner hanging. I guess i could lower them. Plus i was going to cool tube the bulbs since i already have them. Is there a way to put the buckets on the Ground besides digging a whole out of the ground for a lowered rez?? DO you think i will have enough height having the drian 14 inches off the ground?

Height is the main reason i am thinking of putting in a hybrid dwc system in..because i can put the buckets on the ground.

Also i read somewhere that it is better to buy environment controllers for each thing because they will fail and when they do only one element goes wack. Is there a way to buy a co2 only controller but have it shut off if temps get to high or an exhaust is running?

thanks in advance

Top Bottom