Reducing heat by lowering and dimming light?

• Thread starter mkono87
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mkono87

mkono87

This is my first time growing indoors in the summer. I have a 480w 301b light and reaching 80-82F. While I dont believe thats crazy hot and the plants seem to be okay, it got me thinking. Am I right in thinking its possible to dim the light and lower it to match the lux or ppfd? I do realize the spread will be more narrow.

Also on that note, do people usually just dim when they have ran out of height in the tent?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is my first time growing indoors in the summer. I have a 480w 301b light and reaching 80-82F. While I dont believe thats crazy hot and the plants seem to be okay, it got me thinking. Am I right in thinking its possible to dim the light and lower it to match the lux or ppfd? I do realize the spread will be more narrow.

Also on that note, do people usually just dim when they have ran out of height in the tent?
Absolutely. Raise and lower light for even spread. Then adjust intensity for just that.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Ambient air temps aren’t as useful as leaf temps when determining your proper VPD. Keep in mind as the temp goes up the dew point or RH goes down. This causes the plants to drink more water. In the event your grow medium is loaded with nutrients this can cause your plants and more importantly your roots to burn. Too high of dew point or RH will keep your plants from transpiring properly and will keep the needed nutrients in the grow medium. There’s a balancing act when it comes to moisture transpiration and the mobility or availability of nutrients.

You can compensate somewhat for these by either feeding them less in the event of too much transpiration but in reality the best solution is to fix the environment.

Raising or lowering your lights will help a little and turning up or down the watts will help some but don’t rely on those for a long term solution. That being said once your environment is correct you can use either of the two to dial them in.

Think of it like an old tv tuner. You can change the channel with one knob and then fine tune the station with another smaller knob. That’s basically what you’re doing here. You can fine tune by lowering or raising the height of the light or changing the watts but don’t expect drastic improvements with those adjustments.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I do it every summer 1000 Watts becomes 600, and at 84° the AC turns on, that's what I do, good luck

PS when you run out of height you do this I forget the name for it super crop maybe I don't know you just bend them

20200707 081748

Latest posts

Top Bottom