Reducing light output on LED

• Thread starter TGoblin420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TGoblin420

TGoblin420

So basically I have a bit of room spare and a 400w led light with no dimmer switch. I want to use this space for young seedlings and clones but really dont need all that power and want to save as much as I can.

The space is small and no real way to raise the led. So bringing me to my question is there any way I can reduce the output of the light maybe like an adaptor to the mains that controls power? Is that a thing? I've seen mains adaptors for fans where it controls the speed from the mains. I dont even know if it's possible but some advice would be greatly appreciated !!

Homesteader

Homesteader

So basically I have a bit of room spare and a 400w led light with no dimmer switch. I want to use this space for young seedlings and clones but really dont need all that power and want to save as much as I can.

The space is small and no real way to raise the led. So bringing me to my question is there any way I can reduce the output of the light maybe like an adaptor to the mains that controls power? Is that a thing? I've seen mains adaptors for fans where it controls the speed from the mains. I dont even know if it's possible but some advice would be greatly appreciated !!

I think it will depend on the driver that the light uses.

TGoblin420

TGoblin420

If no control is on the driver itself. Then one would have to be wired in after driver to control output to the light board
Sounds like a fair bit of work, thought there may of been an easier way !! Thanks for the speedy advice I'll probably pick up a cheap light for my young girls instead of fiddling around !!

mancorn

mancorn

Could you just use a transparent cover? I tape over my UV LEDs with painters tape, as I swear they crisp my plants. And I've just taped paper over the lens (but I'm a noob with indoor lighting, so don't take my advice).

TGoblin420

TGoblin420

Could you just use a transparent cover? I tape over my UV LEDs with painters tape, as I swear they crisp my plants. And I've just taped paper over the lens (but I'm a noob with indoor lighting, so don't take my advice).
Interesting thought !! I have a light meter so I might give it a test with and without see if it affects it !!
Thanks for the response !!

TGoblin420

TGoblin420

Some of the drivers have a built potentiometer that you need a screw driver to adjust but I assume this is just a cheap driver?
Yeah it doesnt have anything like that , was a cheap and cheerful addition to a tent a while back but is no longer needed. I may just upgrade my flower tent lights and stick one of the lm301b 120w boards in with my clones and younguns will probably be more cost effective down the line !

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter

I would see how much power it is drawing from the wall first. My guess is it isnt a 400 "watt" led...

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yeah it doesnt have anything like that , was a cheap and cheerful addition to a tent a while back but is no longer needed. I may just upgrade my flower tent lights and stick one of the lm301b 120w boards in with my clones and younguns will probably be more cost effective down the line !
You might just be able to use a PWM controller (motor controller). I run a few HLG 132's and others using them. (the picture is of Photon Sunboards, but the idea is the same.The PWM is behinf the meter..the PWM was about $12usd and the meter about the same. Works way better than the built in voltage adjustment on that cheap Meanwell driver.

Just don't blow shit up! LMAO

Fixture 2

Moshmen

Moshmen

Meanwell Type A drivers have an internal adjustment screw, and they are better imo.
There on that sp250 I won, I’m trying to relocate it to my veg tent and move to well cant decide yet either those kingbrites or diy with strips and such, i have s little ir chip in one board I think I can see a difference in the buds nearest the diode prolly like to add a couple? I’m lookin to get better/more consistent coverage in my 2x4x6
Sorry ramblin I. The wrong thread again ! Lol

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If no control is on the driver itself. Then one would have to be wired in after driver to control output to the light board

The quoted answer above is correct. You would use a potentiometer style dimmer and wire it in after the driver.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

There on that sp250 I won, I’m trying to relocate it to my veg tent and move to well cant decide yet either those kingbrites or diy with strips and such, i have s little ir chip in one board I think I can see a difference in the buds nearest the diode prolly like to add a couple? I’m lookin to get better/more consistent coverage in my 2x4x6
Sorry ramblin I. The wrong thread again ! Lol
You must have an early unit, as Mars has said that there SP250 drivers were not Meanwell.

Be careful eith IR..MY last grow student added it indiscriminately and got a bunch of hermies!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You might just be able to use a PWM controller (motor controller). I run a few HLG 132's and others using them. (the picture is of Photon Sunboards, but the idea is the same.The PWM is behinf the meter..the PWM was about $12usd and the meter about the same. Works way better than the built in voltage adjustment on that cheap Meanwell driver.

Just don't blow shit up! LMAO

View attachment 947147

I have a motor speed controller I bought to use on AC current driven driverless LED cobs. I have not tested it out as I switched to quantum boards, but the theory is sound. It should work just fine.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I have a motor speed controller I bought to use on AC current driven driverless LED cobs. I have not tested it out as I switched to quantum boards, but the theory is sound. It should work just fine.
It works fine on the Cheaper Meanwell LRS series, on the 12V side, (horridly cheap onboard voltage control..but the driver itself is solid) that I have used for parallel connections on HLG 132's and the now extinct Photons. The amount of control is similar to that of a 100k ohm pot on a Meanwell B type driver...GOOD!

Moshmen

Moshmen

You must have an early unit, as Mars has said that there SP250 drivers were not Meanwell.

Be careful eith IR..MY last grow student added it indiscriminately and got a bunch of hermies!
Good to know! I just notice a little difference in the bud growth so I’m just thinkin bout it ?

And no it’s supposed to new like 4 months old maybe I won in s giveaway I didn’t even enter! But I needed more light so I took it now they want more Grow diary’s ? I gave my opinion. Sorry another thread
Here’s the driver ! You tell me how old?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Good to know! I just notice a little difference in the bud growth so I’m just thinkin bout it ?

And no it’s supposed to new like 4 months old maybe I won in s giveaway I didn’t even enter! But I needed more light so I took it now they want more Grow diary’s ? I gave my opinion. Sorry another thread
Here’s the driver ! You tell me how old?
Yep..but I remember when I asked a few months ago that @MarsHydroLED had switched to something else. Hopefully Emmy will clear it up.

Top Bottom