Regular Aphids

• Thread starter Pimples
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimples

Like the title says...i have regualr aphids. All the posts on all the forums are for root aphids. I dont have root aphids. Just regular (if there is such a thing). I know NOTHING about this pest. I let about 16 plants of various strains stay outside to get free veg light earlier in the season. Brought them in about 3 weeks ago to flip. Ive never had aphids in my life. Thought it was scale. Nope. Its regular aphids. All over the stems mainly and they are spreading. What the fuck? Anyone have a sure fire way to destroy? Neem? Spinosad? Mighty wash? What gives? If ladybugs work FOR SURE I will get some. But dont need ifs and maybes. I need help.

J

Jfrezy

Pyrethrum is bad stuff banned in Oregon for use on recational marijuana.

cannabeans

cannabeans

What is the difference between pyrethrin and pyrethrum?
The extract from the Chrysanthemum plant containing pyrethrins is called pyrethrum. Pyrethroids are synthetic, or man-made, versions of pyrethrins. ... One important difference between pyrethrins and synthetic pyrethroids is the behavioral effect they have on insects.

cannabeans

cannabeans

Botanical vs. Laboratory Synthesized

The six esters known collectively as pyrethrinsare produced in the Chrysanthemum plant, Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium. Pyrethrins are found at particularly high concentration within flower structures known as achenes which are located in the flowerhead of the Chrysanthemum. The extract from the Chrysanthemum plant containing pyrethrins is called pyrethrum.
Py_Flowers_Close5367.jpg

Pyrethroids are synthetic, or man-made, versions of pyrethrins. There are two major classes of pyrethroids, Type I and Type II pyrethroids. Type I pyrethroids are characterized by their ability to knockdown insects quickly but the Type II pyrethroids will induce higher insect mortality than Type I pyrethroids. While pyrethrum extract is composed of 6 esters which are insecticidal, a synthetic pyrethroid is composed of only one chemically active compound.

One result of the similarities between the chemistry of pyrethrins and synthetic pyrethroids is that have a similar mode of action (i.e. both pyrethrins and pyrethroids induce a toxic effect within the insect by acting on sodium channels; see Mode of Action). Some differences in the chemistry between pyrethrins and synthetic pyrethroids have the result that synthetic pyrethroids have relatively longer environmental persistence than do pyrethrins. Pyrethrins have shorter environmental persistence than synthetic pyrethroids because their chemical structure is more susceptible to the presence of UV light and changes in pH.

One important difference between pyrethrins and synthetic pyrethroids is the behavioral effect they have on insects. Pyrethrins have a unique ability to induce excitation behavior in the target insect. This excitation behavior is characterized by erratic and increased movement by insects. This is sometimes referred to as ‘flushing’ action. This flushing action induced by pyrethrins is highly desirable; because of the increase in movement, it often results in increased insect exposure to pyrethrins.

J

Jfrezy

Our buds need to be tested in Oregon. The state don't allow 6 toe bud. 6 toe is bud laced with so many chemicals you grow a sixth toe. There's a huge list of products which if used you batch won't pass testing. Here when your crop doesn't pass it gets destroyed.

stonestacker

stonestacker

For me any time I had to fight a bug it's important for me to understand the life cycle of said bug before I can come up with a plan of attack. Then Pick my poison and take action. I think aphids breed or lay eggs in the soil.
Good luck.

cannabeans

cannabeans

For me any time I had to fight a bug it's important for me to understand the life cycle of said bug before I can come up with a plan of attack. Then Pick my poison and take action. I think aphids breed or lay eggs in the soil.
Good luck.

This is very sound advice!

cannabeans

cannabeans

Our buds need to be tested in Oregon. The state don't allow 6 toe bud. 6 toe is bud laced with so many chemicals you grow a sixth toe. There's a huge list of products which if used you batch won't pass testing. Here when your crop doesn't pass it gets destroyed.
Nothing in the original post indicated that this is a "recreational" grow intended for the public's consumption.
I still am not understanding why a product made from Chrysanthemum or Tanacetum would make you grow a 6th toe.
To me... "Promis" would have that 6th toe ability if NOT used correctly.

P

Pimples

Has anyone ever had actual aphids (NOT ROOT APHIDS) in a typical indoor situation or growroom? Or even on outdoors plants for that matter? If you have...how did you deal with them???

cannabeans

cannabeans

I am telling you what to use!!!!!Please trust me I have managed plant nurseries and I have a few large production greenhouses and have to deal with these little buggers every year. That is why I know that ladybugs dont really work as well as they have been said to.

"Spinosad or pyrethrum" Those are the active ingredients that I use.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Good luck.
That is the best advice anyone can give. I did pest control for 6 years was Branch 1 and 2 liscenced in CA which means I can legally identify and treat for pests in CA.

The key words are IDENTIFY and TREAT in that order. You never treat blindly as you more than likely aren't doing anything but making bugs more resistant to different things. You MUST know the life cycle and treat multiple times. Knock down adults and treat for hatching eggs in increments according to life cycle.

Any pest control technician will also tell any customer that ANY chemical or treatment is only a TEMPORARY fix. If you do not find the source of where they are coming from and what about your environment makes it hospitable for them, they will ALWAYS come back

Proactive not reactive is the key here

Just my .02.

As for aphids spray them to hell with spinosad. Put blue sticky traps everywhere. If they aren't outside anymore you should be able to kill all of them over a week or 2.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

That is the best advice anyone can give. I did pest control for 6 years was Branch 1 and 2 liscenced in CA which means I can legally identify and treat for pests in CA.

The key words are IDENTIFY and TREAT in that order. You never treat blindly as you more than likely aren't doing anything but making bugs more resistant to different things. You MUST know the life cycle and treat multiple times. Knock down adults and treat for hatching eggs in increments according to life cycle.

Any pest control technician will also tell any customer that ANY chemical or treatment is only a TEMPORARY fix. If you do not find the source of where they are coming from and what about your environment makes it hospitable for them, they will ALWAYS come back

Proactive not reactive is the key here

Just my .02.

As for aphids spray them to hell with spinosad. Put blue sticky traps everywhere. If they aren't outside anymore you should be able to kill all of them over a week or 2.
Very very sound advice...
Pour some bleach down all your drains too!

P

Pimples

I mixed 1 1/2 tablespoons of Azamax (azadiractin) per gallon of water with a teaspoon and a half of a wetting agent /emuslifier (wet betty). Using my 2 handy pump sprayer tanks with spray wands. I nailed the plants lights off with green headlight really good..top and bottom. Also trimmed/pruned bottom branches better. All 16 plants. Once I started getting in there and pulling pots out...I noticed the aphids were worse than I thought. Also have a very small starting out break of 2 soptted spider mites. Sumbitch. I got my work cut out for sure. Might even throw a mild shot of imidacloprid in my feed tanks for when the drip timers turn on. Anyways...I will follow up with another spray down of Azamax in a few days. Follow up with Monterey (spinosad) a few days after that. Wish me luck. Never had aphids before. And havent had mites in years. Its what I get for trying to let the 16 ladies soak up some free outside veg light and bringing them back in to flower. Funny..I got 8 Giants of 5 different cultivars outside in 100 gallon pots that are coming down next month...not a mite nor aphid one on those. Outdoors that balance is in order. Never get bug infestations on my outdoors crops in the season. I did notice some ladybugs here and there on my outdoor last couple months. Love them ladybugs. Get em girls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom