regular seeds vs feminized

• Thread starter sky_blue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky_blue

sky_blue

Is it correct that growing from the commercially sold feminized seeds have, on average, 20% less vigor/yield/resin content, etc. than using regular seeds to get the females?

Thanks !!

sky high

sky high

I've never heard that one bro. So...um....it must not be true. :D

I'll go out on a limb and say that vigor/yield/resin content are specific to each strain and have nothing to do whatsoever with whether or not the seeds are fems...or regs.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Some of the best performing strains I have came from feminized seeds... One thing that I have noticed is that fem seeds have more variation between plants and some of them really suck so just be sure to pop a lot of beans and keep notes on each one...

sky_blue

sky_blue

Thanks S.H. and M.R.:)
I thought I read that in a lot of places years ago, but now...?
Do the commercial/retail seed companies still "make" feminized seeds w/silver nitrate (? - Is that right ?) - some chemical, or is it done differently now?
Another beginner question, but it fits in ok after that last one...;)

sky high

sky high

I know of "STS" (sodium thiosulphate/silver nitrate mix).....colloidal silver....and stress as ways to make fems/selfed seeds....but there may be more processes at hand that I am unaware of as well.

My guess is that >most< fems/etc out there are a result of the use of the above chems.

sky_blue

sky_blue

I know of "STS" (sodium thiosulphate/silver nitrate mix).....colloidal silver....and stress as ways to make fems/selfed seeds....but there may be more processes at hand that I am unaware of as well.

My guess is that >most< fems/etc out there are a result of the use of the above chems.
Thanks !

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

Some of the best performing strains I have came from feminized seeds... One thing that I have noticed is that fem seeds have more variation between plants and some of them really suck so just be sure to pop a lot of beans and keep notes on each one...

Totally dependent on parent lines. Some will put out insane uniformity while others may show large variegation's between plants.

Thanks S.H. and M.R.:)
I thought I read that in a lot of places years ago, but now...?
Do the commercial/retail seed companies still "make" feminized seeds w/silver nitrate (? - Is that right ?) - some chemical, or is it done differently now?
Another beginner question, but it fits in ok after that last one...;)

whats sky said is correct. Some use Silver Thiosulfate and others use colloidal silver. Still other breeders, such as soma, use natural stress to collect nanners off of late flowering females to make his fems. In all cases there is chance for failure, mutation, and trouble, but done right can produce awesome results.

sky_blue

sky_blue

Totally dependent on parent lines. Some will put out insane uniformity while others may show large variegation's between plants.

whats sky said is correct. Some use Silver Thiosulfate and others use colloidal silver. Still other breeders, such as soma, use natural stress to collect nanners off of late flowering females to make his fems. In all cases there is chance for failure, mutation, and trouble, but done right can produce awesome results.
___
Thanks for the expert info D.W.D.

Can you tell me - from earlier in this thread.... Are feminized seeds generally less vigorous, strong, etc. than regular seeds? One person answered a no. Do you think feminized are just as vigorous and strong as a reg. seed?

thanks !!

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

I believe and from my experience there is no reason in which you would see less vigor, strength, girth, whatever you want to call it, from femenized seed vs regular seed.

What sky high said was correct in my opinion.

redman420

redman420

Is it correct that growing from the commercially sold feminized seeds have, on average, 20% less vigor/yield/resin content, etc. than using regular seeds to get the females?

Thanks !!
No, I grow Tahoe og from cai connection and my S1 were way more potent and true to the original clone than the reg seeds were

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Yeah bro, in my experience, it pretty much depends on and the.parents and phenotypes.. Ive grown several fems and got slight variations between them. The most potent smoke Ive ever had/grown, come from s1. Speakin of Swerve's Tahoe s1's, that ridiculously frosty Buddah Tahoe u see in his new ads, come from those Tahoe s1's!. So they do have the potential to excell their mother. I wouldnt focus ANY breeding project USING s1's as parents. The genetics have been altered and the result could be genetically unstable. Hope this helps a little. Peace.
Quest

funkysmoker

funkysmoker

Yeah bro, in my experience, it pretty much depends on and the.parents and phenotypes.. Ive grown several fems and got slight variations between them. The most potent smoke Ive ever had/grown, come from s1. Speakin of Swerve's Tahoe s1's, that ridiculously frosty Buddah Tahoe u see in his new ads, come from those Tahoe s1's!. So they do have the potential to excell their mother. I wouldnt focus ANY breeding project USING s1's as parents. The genetics have been altered and the result could be genetically unstable. Hope this helps a little. Peace.
Quest
I do agree on not using Self-ed seeds for breeding but if you use a stable strain to breed with your fem seeds , and then use those seeds for breeding I could see good results happening . I have used only males for my breeding project , until now I am venturing into the fem seeds world hoping for success good luck too you and the breeding projects

sky_blue

sky_blue

Quest
That helped a lot. Excellent information. No S1s as parents. That will probably save me from a big headache in the future... And now I'll be looking out for the Buddha Tahoe...:)

sky_blue

sky_blue

I do agree on not using Self-ed seeds for breeding but if you use a stable strain to breed with your fem seeds , and then use those seeds for breeding I could see good results happening . I have used only males for my breeding project , until now I am venturing into the fem seeds world hoping for success good luck too you and the breeding projects
Thanks ! Good luck to you as well.:cool:

funkysmoker

funkysmoker

Unfortunately lots of the chems and ogs are essentially S1's so most breeders ARE breeding with fem plants.
yea , thats why it should be crossed with a stable plant for making stable seeds for breeding . thats just what seems to make sense to me . Im not sure where the chem came from I have but the budd is sooooooooooooooooo awesome i cant help but to breed her , thanks for the info bro

sky high

sky high

Unfortunately lots of the chems and ogs are essentially S1's so most breeders ARE breeding with fem plants.

Add the Kushes to that list. Most anything from Bubba/Ghost/Banana more than likely came from s-1 parental stock because only a select few folks had access to such cuts at that time.

funkysmoker

funkysmoker

Add the Kushes to that list. Most anything from Bubba/Ghost/Banana more than likely came from s-1 parental stock because only a select few folks had access to such cuts at that time.
I do beleave in the perfect match and one plant making up for another defects , so one plant owns potent bud , another completely stable and impossible to fuck up = a potent x awesome stable plant= awesome stable potent plant lol right ...

sky high

sky high

Have you read Clarke's book on breeding? Lots of info.....
51T6NT7iI8L  BO2204203200 PIsitb sticker arrow clickTopRight35 76 AA300 SH20 OU01

Top Bottom