Reliving My Gypsy Youth,...

• Thread starter Roni
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

What type of LED wattage should I use for my space?!

• 300watt

• 600watt

Results are only viewable after voting.
Roni

Roni

So the question is, will a 300 watt LED full spectrum light be enough to take 6 girls full course & will that be 3 months? I only have a small area, can't afford more space than 36"x48"x54". So I thought I'd start off with a 300watt & add another if needed when I can afford it?!
I'm not new to growing, just been a long time & I used HPS & MH,.. intake carbon filters, timers, 5 gallon bucket, submersible fish pump, tubing to water plants & mister, also usually use a 5 gallon jug w/ yeast, raisin, water for CO2 in flower process. The rest in the mix of soil. I'm on a low budget, especially because I disabled with anxiety, chronic pains, PTSD & other issues, along with my son having cancer on his testicle which we are trying to get on track with this grow.
Any help, advice or support would be most appreciated & I'm thankful to be part of the group here.
Namaste,.... Roni

Homesteader

Homesteader

Hi Roni
How goes it pal? Welcome. I would recommend to get the ball rollng with a cheap LED or something and study up on DIY COB building. You could build a pretty kick ass light that doesn't produce much heat if you are handy and owns some tools.

Roni

Roni

Hi Roni
How goes it pal? Welcome. I would recommend to get the ball rollng with a cheap LED or something and study up on DIY COB building. You could build a pretty kick ass light that doesn't produce much heat if you are handy and owns some tools.
Somewhat yes, was a network engineer,.. I'm a girl BTW! lol

Bannacis

Bannacis

Welcome to the farm Miss Roni...
Usually a 300 watt led is about 150 watts actually. on the cheap end. Even the high end leds are not exactly what they state, but are closer and better led chips.
I'm using an Mars Hydro 300 watt led...(150watt) its a full spectrum and has done real nice in my 3x3 tent.
It does not cover that 3x3 more like a 2x2 cover. Have not taken it to flower yet.
Ebay $70 free shipping.
I seen some awesome grows with just compact fluorescents. so a 300 watt led will do ok for beginning.
good luck

Roni

Roni

Hi Roni

Yes I researched this out & I'm going to get 2 300watt units & line to base & sides with the LED tape to give more light to all angles.
I'll upload pics when I get it all together!! TY for the support. Just gotta get some good seeds. Like Cherry Bubba or Chem OG, anything high in THC since I have PTSD, my twin committed suicide 13 years & I've had a heck of time, especially after the docs treated me like a guinea pig... I'm happy to be headed towards healthy!! ♡
I'm looking forward to also blowing more glass eventually too. I uploaded a pic!!

FB IMG 1475957891639
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes I researched this out & I'm going to get 2 300watt units & line to base & sides with the LED tape to give more light to all angles.
I'll upload pics when I get it all together!! TY for the support. Just gotta get some good seeds. Like Cherry Bubba or Chem OG, anything high in THC since I have PTSD, my twin committed suicide 13 years & I've had a heck of time, especially after the docs treated me like a guinea pig... I'm happy to be headed towards healthy!! ♡
I'm looking forward to also blowing more glass eventually too. I uploaded a pic!!
Is that your work? the pipes Nice looking glass. :)

Roni

Roni

Welcome to the farm Miss Roni...
Usually a 300 watt led is about 150 watts actually. on the cheap end. Even the high end leds are not exactly what they state, but are closer and better led chips.
I'm using an Mars Hydro 300 watt led...(150watt) its a full spectrum and has done real nice in my 3x3 tent.
It does not cover that 3x3 more like a 2x2 cover. Have not taken it to flower yet.
Ebay $70 free shipping.
I seen some awesome grows with just compact fluorescents. so a 300 watt led will do ok for beginning.
good luck

I plan to purchase off Amazon & don't want to use the tent. I have an area 3x3'x5'... I figure 2 300watt LED's, line the closet with additional LED tape. I have been chatting with many & have an idea on what I will do. Seeds are next!@ Thank you so much for the information & kind words...
Namaste...♡
Roni

FB IMG 1475907716972
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I plan to purchase off Amazon & don't want to use the tent. I have an area 3x3'x5'... I figure 2 300watt LED's, line the closet with additional LED tape. I have been chatting with many & have an idea on what I will do. Seeds are next!@ Thank you so much for the information & kind words...
Namaste...♡
Roni
That is more than enough light for that size space.

dreamofgreen

dreamofgreen

i don't know if there are any of their lights available on amazon, but you should check out california light works.
i'm still using hid lights but after spending some time helping a friend harvest what she grew with 3 of their solar storm lights i'm sold. both the quality and the quantity of her end product were pretty amazing.
good luck with your grow, i hope it helps with the ptsd. i find spending time with my plants to very calming and helpful to staying emotionally balanced.

Roni

Roni

i don't know if there are any of their lights available on amazon, but you should check out california light works.
i'm still using hid lights but after spending some time helping a friend harvest what she grew with 3 of their solar storm lights i'm sold. both the quality and the quantity of her end product were pretty amazing.
good luck with your grow, i hope it helps with the ptsd. i find spending time with my plants to very calming and helpful to staying emotionally balanced.
Awesome , you guys are so helpful & appreciate the #OneLoveattitude!!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It's all good, I got nothing to hide, I'm suffering & no one is taking away my constitutional rights again. I need to live in my pursuit of happiness, health & well being. I chose life!!
I like that attitude.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a question, I am in the decision process of going from ole skool HID to either plasma, LED or CMH.

You said you just helped a friend with their harvest and you were impressed. Can you tell me in comparison to HID as you use them yourself, is the bud density the same with LED or are they less dense with LED. I have heard but cant prove that led tends to put out a less compact bud. Now I know this would vary with strains but what can you tell me with what you saw.?

And I am also hearing that the claims that led are so much cooler isnt really the case, is this true???

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

I have a question, I am in the decision process of going from ole skool HID to either plasma, LED or CMH.

You said you just helped a friend with their harvest and you were impressed. Can you tell me in comparison to HID as you use them yourself, is the bud density the same with LED or are they less dense with LED. I have heard but cant prove that led tends to put out a less compact bud. Now I know this would vary with strains but what can you tell me with what you saw.?

And I am also hearing that the claims that led are so much cooler isnt really the case, is this true???

I have been doing some consulting recently that lead me to do some cost analysis and production model simulations. My end finding is that CREE CXB 3590 COBs driven at 50w per COB is going to be the best currently available lighting option. Spacing those chips on 12" centers on your panel and keeping them ~24" from your canopy you can expect yields equal to in weight and greater in quality for 600 watts at the wall. The resulting reduction in thermal load will also make most growers pockets happy or even let some growers whom otherwise could not run a sealed enviroment to do so.

If DIY is not possible some may find the Cree COB technology cost prohibitive still. Add a dimmer and it they are perfect for full cycle use.

Top Bottom