Removing runoff after feeding **IDEAS**

• Thread starter druc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
druc

druc

Hi there, looking for ideas to easily remove runoff in the catch trays after feeding. Can't just pick them up and pour them out due to the support netting and plant population in a small space. Thought about modifying and fountain pump of some sort? Wanting to have a suction inlet hose so i can reach the back of the tent and not looking to spend a fortune. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Farmers!

H

Humble

From a guy that runs coco DTW, shop vacing gets old asf. I currently have a setup where runoff goes into a 3 gallon bucket and then I take that upstairs and empy (no floor drains :speechless:). Even thats getting old. I plant on making a new setup where runoff pours into a deep rez tray and I plan on adding a 2000gph bilge pump (or something that can pump 10ft up and can handle small coco or plant debris going through). Anyone else know what type of pump that can do that im all ears.

B

Burned Haze

The more pvc you got = more stuff that can get clogged or more you gotta replace and more cost factors plus it’s in your way always in your grow room. Everyone’s got there one way ( to each their own, not bashing on anyone, just giving a tip )

( keep it simple and you succeed)
Have Floodtable on 10-15% angle so runoff goes to bottom (that runoff for coco =salty). Take runoff off within 15 minutes after feeding so you don’t ever get any absorption( I try to do it right immediately Afterwards so no salt runoff is absorbed )

I used to use baby shop vacuums, but after spending 50-100+ bucks to get the better models ( I’m never making this task to save 20-30 bucks when I have to do the task everyday, will last a few seasons or even one that’s my cost factor or view?, I know mine
don’t break that easy, just get clogged or need new tubes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphine

Seraphine

From a guy that runs coco DTW, shop vacing gets old asf. I currently have a setup where runoff goes into a 3 gallon bucket and then I take that upstairs and empy (no floor drains :speechless:). Even thats getting old. I plant on making a new setup where runoff pours into a deep rez tray and I plan on adding a 2000gph bilge pump (or something that can pump 10ft up and can handle small coco or plant debris going through). Anyone else know what type of pump that can do that im all ears.
I bet a pool pump would work.

K

Kot

It's a lot of work with a shop vac. My runoff just goes under the grow table into reservoir that I made for the runoff. Then when it fills up I just empty it with a cheap ebay pump.

H

Humble

I bet a pool pump would work.
I looked around for sump pumps (pool pumps fall into that category) and found that most dont allow debris/particles through or so it says in the descriptions. After more digging around, I found trash pumps or bilge pumps allow up to 1" or a little more size of debris. Then comes the thing of getting pumps that run dry or need to be primed.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
A wet dry vac works great. The long wand let you reach to the run off trays in the back. When its full i dump it into a bucket and use it on my outside veggie and flower gardens.

K

Kot

I looked around for sump pumps (pool pumps fall into that category) and found that most dont allow debris/particles through or so it says in the descriptions. After more digging around, I found trash pumps or bilge pumps allow up to 1" or a little more size of debris. Then comes the thing of getting pumps that run dry or need to be primed.
Bro $8 pump from ebay from China works great.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Get a nft tray for your next run.makes run off a lot easier to deal with.

Munch517

Munch517

Not sure if my situation would apply to you but I have a similar issue with no floor drains...

I put in a sump pump basin in my floor with a sump pump running into my sewer main that's maybe 3' off the basement floor. My rooms are on the other side of the basement so I ran a PVC pipe just off the floor from my grow room slanting into the sump basin. That PVC pipe has a few y fittings to drain different things into. Right now I only have my dehumidifier going into it but I'm going to get a tray like you but with a pump in the bucket draining to my PVC, to the sump basin then pumped into the sewer. I also installed a laundry sink draining into the sump basin. Before I had no sink or drain in the basement, if you're in the same boat you could do something similar.

Kwitcherbiz

Kwitcherbiz

. Honestly brotha u just get a bigger sub pump they make 1/2 in all the way up to like 2in I think that our submersible

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Wet/Dry Vac. Home depot makes a bucket head vac. Snaps on a 5 gal bucket if you don't need something big and want it portable to carry around also cheap.
Bucket Head 5 Gallon Bucket Vacuum

Then there is the option of stacking 5 gal buckets with bulkheads that drain to a central rez that you can pump with or without a float valve.
DSCN4734

DSCN4733

Then there is tables of some sorts. NFT, Ebb tables, or build your own out of corrugated that drains to a gutter.
IMG 1762

Also A/C condensate pump. All in 1 unit. Pump, mini rez, float valve. Great for tables specially if they are close to the floor.
Excel air condensate pump 1000x1000

There is a bunch of options. You just have to get creative.

daveyoung

daveyoung

Bro $8 pump from ebay from China works great.
When I used to clean out outdoor ponds, The pumps were always behind a filter bag. Just set up the pump behind a couple of cloth barriers that will effectively screen out the sediment. When the first screen gets too clogged up you can simply pull it out and scrape off the debris and do with it as you wish. The second screen will catch any strays that get by as you clean the first one. This is a super cheap and customizable option to strain anything before it gets to the pump of your choosing. Just do a little research and make sure the cloth/wire framework you use is safe for your system and will not leach any chemicals or react with anything in the water.

Beersponge

Beersponge

What about trying a pump similar to those found on wet saws? Beleive they would allow certain sized particle to pass through

Top Bottom