Renting Property (Commercial Specifically, Residential Too)

• Thread starter Stoner Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stoner Smurf

So what all goes into renting a property to grow at? I've only grown on my own property, but honestly it's not made for it at all. I was thinking of renting a small warehouse or small old factory. Something with more space and power than I need.

When you rent a property what kind of privacy rights does a tenant have? Can/do landlords drop by when ever they want? Do you try to find a landlord that will be okay with it and inform him? If you rent a commercial property I would have to assume they would ask what kind of business is going to be run there. What do you say?

I know there's a couple people here that have some massive grows that look to be in some kind of commercial building. I am not trying to do anything on that scale, but I definitely need to get out of my house. I am destroying it because I can't properly vent the area outside of my grow rooms. So if any of those guys (or girls) would shed some light on what they went through to secure their property I would be mighty thankful.

J

jigilous

Just rented a place. Pretty much the same deal as when finding a place to live.
Be prepared to hand over a credit report, proof of employment, references, bank account balances and lots of money. Also, we were required to get insurance by the owner.

I found a place where we could tell the owner of the building would not be all up in our business and just wanted a tenant in the space.

When you pick a place to go check out, don't forget to scope the neighborhood. Nothing would suck worse than signing a year lease only to find a school or police station around the block.

When you look at a place, make sure to check the electrical panel and see how much power you have. Check that you easy access to water.

Don't forget that you need to get all the equipment in the place while being stealth about it; any place that you find with a garage should go up near the top of the list.

J

jigilous

If you rent a commercial property I would have to assume they would ask what kind of business is going to be run there. What do you say?

-office space for a side business
-t-shirt making company
-import/export business
-web developers

Basically you just want to pick something that you think you can bullshit about enough to convince the agent or owner that you know what you are talking about. Also try to pick something that would lend to lots of power usage and fans running at all hours. That is just so you stay as congruent as possible with what you told them and what they see from you. And no, don't tell anyone what you are doing there, especially your landlord. That is just asking for a fucking.

A

amstercal

Don't forget about inspections. In CA at least, many cities have yearly mandatory fire inspections, no matter what you're using it for. Some cities do not require them, often if you are using it for storage (such as for weekend toys or your expensive collection that needs temperature control or whatever). And both the landlord and insurance company will probably be very nosy about its use.

Landlords need to give notice to enter your property (usually 48 hrs but check the lease) unless they need to enter for something like a flood, then no notice. So be sure that any water spills will be contained to your unit.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
more info please?

I am moveing soon landlord doesnt want to sign a years lease they (fannie mae) want to sell the house so they want to put me on a month to month lease and show the place ..well that wont do :worried....
so I am moving and would like to get alot more info on this topic (Im in a non-MM state ) thanks
:harvest:

S

Stoner Smurf

Don't forget about inspections. In CA at least, many cities have yearly mandatory fire inspections, no matter what you're using it for. Some cities do not require them, often if you are using it for storage (such as for weekend toys or your expensive collection that needs temperature control or whatever). And both the landlord and insurance company will probably be very nosy about its use.

Landlords need to give notice to enter your property (usually 48 hrs but check the lease) unless they need to enter for something like a flood, then no notice. So be sure that any water spills will be contained to your unit.

Believe me sir, I haven't forgot about any of that. What I want to know is how do you handle all that? Legal growers don't really up and move that frequently do they? Anyways 48 hours is not enough time to move a grow with all of it's equipment without a major crew (which I don't have). Plus I don't think I would be able to do that to my ladies.

If the insurance company, or FD starts asking questions it seems to me you could end up in more trouble for lying. I am a legal patient well under my legal limit. Insurance fraud is a felony.

It would probably be easier to find an 'absentee landlord' for a residential property. The problem with residential is the electric is never enough. I really want a 400-amp service (That breaker box is what my wet dreams are made of), I'd settle for 200-amp though. Not often do you find a house with that kind of wiring for rent. Can't be doing electrical renovations to someone else's house. Also with a house you are back dealing with ventilation issues. And you can't put holes in someone else's home.

DreadNeck

DreadNeck

Keep in mind that just because you have a 400 amp service this doesn't mean you can run that much at once. The electric company will allow you to install, let's say...300 amps of service. What they don't tell you is that they will most likely only feed that with #4 wire which will most likely be compromised somewhere between your transformer and your weatherhead. The way they see it, copper is so expensive they'll gamble that it will work and fix it if it doesn't. Question is...do you really want to explain why you burned through #4 wire. Just my .02

A

amstercal

Believe me sir, I haven't forgot about any of that. What I want to know is how do you handle all that? Legal growers don't really up and move that frequently do they? Anyways 48 hours is not enough time to move a grow with all of it's equipment without a major crew (which I don't have). Plus I don't think I would be able to do that to my ladies.

If the insurance company, or FD starts asking questions it seems to me you could end up in more trouble for lying. I am a legal patient well under my legal limit. Insurance fraud is a felony.

It would probably be easier to find an 'absentee landlord' for a residential property. The problem with residential is the electric is never enough. I really want a 400-amp service (That breaker box is what my wet dreams are made of), I'd settle for 200-amp though. Not often do you find a house with that kind of wiring for rent. Can't be doing electrical renovations to someone else's house. Also with a house you are back dealing with ventilation issues. And you can't put holes in someone else's home.

Then it depends on where you live. What are the local city/county laws where you live? You may have a legal rec to grow, but what local laws/permits allow may be different. If you are lucky enough to live someplace where you can feel comfortable having the FD know, then simply look for a landlord who's ok with it.

There are such landlords out there. However, most don't want the headache. Even where I live and all dispensaries have been banned, there are landlords who are ok with it. I've heard growers say they rent a uhaul for the day and put everything in there during an inspection. Otherwise, your best bet is finding a city that doesn't have mandatory yearly inspections and a landlord who's willing to work with you. Often that's a tall order. Or lie.

And I'm not condoning insurance fraud by any means, but growing in a MMJ state is still a federal crime. A legal problem however you look at it. Also I don't know if it's still considered fraud if you don't make a claim, ie if you burnt the place down and paid for it yourself instead of getting it from the insurance. I'd be interested to know. What if at the time you filled out the paperwork you were planning on using it for storage and your only negligence was failing to inform them you'd changed the purpose? Interesting.

Oh and I'm a girl, not a "sir."

Top Bottom