Reoccurring issues. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

• Thread starter GulfIslandgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

Hey all, I’ve been experiencing a reoccurring problem for my last 2 runs of OG kush and it’s staring to happen again on my current room.
Basically around the middle of week 2 leaves start going pale green, mainly on the top part of the plant. Over time they all turn pale green/yellow, With a bit of Rusting on larger leaves.

A little about my grownI use a 2 part flower fertilizer. Adding Cal mag@ 5ml per gal to every water. I thought that maybe I was lacking cal mag? I keep my ppm lower In the first 3 weeks going from 900-1200 and ph between 6.3-6.5

I also thought it could be light damage only because I had a few plants on the ground that were further away from light and they didn’t have the same discolouration as the plants on my tables. The plants on the tables are about 24” always from the light and I keep the ballast set at 75% capacity for the first week and bump it up to “super lumens’ setting after that

Iv included a few pictures of my current room that just started week 3 of flower today.

anyhow let me know if I can provide any more info.
Cheers

Reoccurring issues any tips would be greatly appreciated
Reoccurring issues any tips would be greatly appreciated 2
Reoccurring issues any tips would be greatly appreciated 3
Reoccurring issues any tips would be greatly appreciated 4
Reoccurring issues any tips would be greatly appreciated 5
Reoccurring issues any tips would be greatly appreciated 6
GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

Here’s a few pics of my last room in week 5 where the problem progressed into this

4028D1DE CC0E 43BA A15B BBA495F333D7
E080A9AC CEA7 4142 8CF0 940679E8778C
6D0767DD 612B 493E B58F 97F7CD612F21
Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Since you describe it as "mainly on the top part of the plant", if you have ruled out light burn, I would say it is likely an immobile nutrient. The purple veins of the leaves leads me to suspect phosphorus deficiency though. Your input PH and ppm seem to be on point, have you done a soil slurry test to know the PH of the soil? I know this isn't a complete answer but hopefully it gets you headed in the right direction.

Copperdomebodhi

Copperdomebodhi

Maybe I’m wrong, but if you use the right mix of soil, you shouldn’t need nutes so early. Give them water until they get some mass.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What media are they in?
How big are the pots?
What is your watering schedule?
Temp and humidity?
Source water ppm?
Inorganic or organic nutrients?

100% transpiration issue. My guess would be salinity without more info

GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

Since you describe it as "mainly on the top part of the plant", if you have ruled out light burn, I would say it is likely an immobile nutrient. The purple veins of the leaves leads me to suspect phosphorus deficiency though. Your input PH and ppm seem to be on point, have you done a soil slurry test to know the PH of the soil? I know this isn't a complete answer but hopefully it gets you headed in the right direction.
Hey chad, My run off is pretty consistent around 6.2-6.4

GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

What media are they in?
How big are the pots?
What is your watering schedule?
Temp and humidity?
Source water ppm?
Inorganic or organic nutrients?

100% transpiration issue. My guess would be salinity without more info
-I use basic pro mix soil in 2gal pots.
-I water every other day.
-lights on 76-80 degrees with humidity around 45-50
-lights off degrees with humidity between 60-68%
-I use well water in summer months which has 380ppm. Not sure what makes up those parts. I use rain water for the rest of the year. Coming out at 0 ppm
- my nutrients are inorganic

Thanks!
Jules

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That sounds decent to me except the well water ppm is pretty high and not knowing the makeup. Can you test the runoff ppm next time.

Salinity will affect the plants ability to uptake water.

The next thing would be the humidity i think your to high for those temps. This will also reduce the transpiration rate. 50% will likely make an improvement.

Good airflow also important.

How fast are the pots drying?

It looks alot like overwatering but I think your humidity is playing a role in that. Are you able to lower it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Emphasis on testing ppm of runoff. Catch the very first bit of it and test.

Also water within a few hrs of lights on not later in the light cycle incase you weren't

GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

That sounds decent to me except the well water ppm is pretty high and not knowing the makeup. Can you test the runoff ppm next time.

Salinity will affect the plants ability to uptake water.

The next thing would be the humidity i think your to high for those temps. This will also reduce the transpiration rate. 50% will likely make an improvement.

Good airflow also important.

How fast are the pots drying?

It looks alot like overwatering but I think your humidity is playing a role in that. Are you able to lower it?
I’m back to using rainwater and my last run off varied between my 4 tables, from 1200-1320 ppm. My pots are drying out every other day. Sometimes every third day.

I could run my exhaust fan more frequently to try and keep the humidity down.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Hey chad, My run off is pretty consistent around 6.2-6.4
A slurry test for soil PH will likely be a bit different than your run-off PH. Your current range is the target range for soil. Do consider the other things I mentioned, those are the problems if the PH has already been addressed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’m back to using rainwater and my last run off varied between my 4 tables, from 1200-1320 ppm. My pots are drying out every other day. Sometimes every third day.

I could run my exhaust fan more frequently to try and keep the humidity down.
Yeah that would help. Plants that size in 2 gal pots should be drinking a bit more but I would run a good amount of runoff each water from here on out just to be safe and then let them dry well. Maybe even let em dry to wilt once to get a feel for how light they can be before watering.

GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

Yeah that would help. Plants that size in 2 gal pots should be drinking a bit more but I would run a good amount of runoff each water from here on out just to be safe and then let them dry well. Maybe even let em dry to wilt once to get a feel for how light they can be before watering.

Hey so I let them really dry out and did a solid flush and got 1340ppm 5.7 ph for the first bit of water to come out and 1300ppm 5.8 ph for the last bit of runoff.
Clearly my ph is very low, could that be contributing to other deficiencies?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey so I let them really dry out and did a solid flush and got 1340ppm 5.7 ph for the first bit of water to come out and 1300ppm 5.8 ph for the last bit of runoff.
Clearly my ph is very low, could that be contributing to other deficiencies?
Absolutely could. Did you flush with 3x the volume? Maybe try some recharge with a flush. 1300ppm is not bad. I think its more of a ratio and ph thing. But before adding anything to raise it. The next few feeds give em a good amount of runoff. And see if the pH start trending upwards.

What source water are you using right now and for the last few feeds? Well or rain?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Look overwatered and over fertilized. 1300 ppm is quite high in my opinion and the buildup in the medium tends to lower ph.

GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

Absolutely could. Did you flush with 3x the volume? Maybe try some recharge with a flush. 1300ppm is not bad. I think its more of a ratio and ph thing. But before adding anything to raise it. The next few feeds give em a good amount of runoff. And see if the pH start trending upwards.

What source water are you using right now and for the last few feeds? Well or rain?

I flushed with rain water 0ppm 6.4 ph. Only 2x the pot size though.
My meter read the runoff at 6.0 after sitting in it for a while. So not as low as I I initially thought.

GulfIslandgrower

GulfIslandgrower

Look overwatered and over fertilized. 1300 ppm is quite high in my opinion and the buildup in the medium tends to lower ph.

My pots dry out every 2-3 days. Should I be watering with less water and try to get it down to every 2 days?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My pots dry out every 2-3 days. Should I be watering with less water and try to get it down to every 2 days?

No you need the runoff. I see above you already flushed them out some. You said the ph was up now. That would indicate you washed out some excess nutrients. What was the final ec? (Ppm)

Got to let them dry out more now not try to speed it up.

Top Bottom