Replacing the Air Stones

• Thread starter Globel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Globel

Globel

I just finished my first run. Its time for some new air stones. I feel the ones that came with the system, for lack of a better term "suck." Was wondering what airstones/rings you guys suggest. If I can buy them in bulk that's a plus...

opt1c

opt1c

i just get cheap ones; replace em every run so no sense spending money on "good" ones ;)

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
I just picked up some oxygen shields (os1) no clue as to how well they work yet, they were suggested to me by a friend.
I have used HOG micro-pore air diffusers and they work great but I think the Oxy-shield may work a bit better with a larger root system (such as those in a DWC system)
due to the size difference in the two diffusers.
FJ

I

ibTheMan

Get the 4" disc,trust me youll never use srt8 ones again.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I just buy the cheap blue ones and replace every grow. The ones that come with the system are booty
BG

lambrettats1

lambrettats1

I usually just get the longer ones from my local pet store tho i am tempted by the rings.TS1

I

ibTheMan

the disc are WAY BETTER, there $8 , try um, you cranky str8 stone(junk) lovers.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Stoned to death

From what I understand those stones are intended to be disposable.

Porous surfaces like air stones a prime microbial habitat. Even with proper disinfection you still run the likely hood of inoculating your next run with pathogens.

Though you'd imagine only aerobic microbes (mostly non pathogenic) would thrive on the stones there are many disease organisms that can tolerate higher DO levels. Especially when ample amounts of biofilm "organic material" is present for easy comsumption by the building colonies. I see the relatively mild investment of buying new stones as low cost preventative meds....you replace your nutes, why not your stones?

If you do use re-usable stones, be diligent about disinfecting. And if a disease does ever break out and take out a crop, no matter how expensive, replace your stones/diffusers to avoid future headaches.

BTW....Elite "Aqua Fizz" stones, though blue, should not be mistaken for those hyper compressed, pieces of shizzle that NGW, BWGS and Hydrofart offer. Use em side by side and you'll quickly see the difference. IMO

M

Max Powers

I'm in the middle of my first UC run, and have also noticed that the buckets seem like they could benefit from some stronger bubbling. Does replacing the stock air stones with the 4" discs do a lot, or is it worth upgrading the pump? I know Jack uses the Hi Blow 200s, but those are like $700, maybe there's a middle ground?

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Doubling your stones up on the same air pump could help as it'll provide for more surface area for air flow and it's cheap.

Best way to soup up your uc is by enhancing aeration.....there's lots of great ways to do that, you really can go wrong be it disks, stones, diffusers, oxy gens or membranes. Just do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom