Republican Congressman Fails to Punish Students With Drug Convictions

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Republican Congressman Fails to Punish Students With Drug Convictions
by Ben Morris

Today, Congressman Mark Souder (R-Ind.) attempted to pass an amendment that would continue to prevent students with even minor drug convictions from receiving financial aid. His amendment was withdrawn, paving the way for students with drug convictions to seek higher education and a better life.

Souder authored a provision in 1998 that for nearly 10 years has blocked students with drug convictions from receiving financial aid. This year, congressional Democrats added language to SAFRA (Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act, HR 3221), which fixed the problem created by Souder’s provision. During discussion of the bill today, Souder offered an amendment that would have undone this fix.

Congressman Ed Perlmutter (D-Colo.), a close ally of MPP, convinced Souder to withdraw his amendment.

Eliminating financial aid for students with drug convictions is one of the most small-minded policies in America’s war on drugs. By preventing these students from seeking opportunities in higher education, the provision locked many students into a cycle of poverty and forced low-income students to bear the brunt of a misguided, prohibitionist mindset. The fix, which would allow students access to aid, will provide hundreds of thousands of students the opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their families.

SAFRA is still working its way through the legislative process. MPP will continue to update you on its progress.

Y

yoko

I am going to visit Congressman Perlmutter's web site and thank him.

Even in these times (you know, postbush), this is a courageous act.

I'll post after thanking him and would like to ask the US crowd here to thank the congressman as well!

Yoko

Y

yoko

Searching google sent me to his congressional website which required me to give
my name/ address etc but, if you are not from his district you cannot leave a message.

I left a phone message instead: : 202-225-2645.

Yoko

Y

yoko

Way to go Cali Smoke and any one that gives a damn!

Thanks Logic for the time...

Yoko

H

headband707

Wow it's about time laws like this were challenged. Perhaps this will open the gates for more real positive changes peace out Headband707

S

Simple Simon

I don't like to get all political and shit but it seems like if you don't have mega $ all the Republicans want to do is put a rope around your neck . WTF are they going to do when there is no more ( little people ) around to do there bidding and make there money for them ?

T

TheAngryCook

Well That's Cool maybe i can actually get a federal grant to go to school now. that's about the only way i can afford to go..

The Joker

The Joker

Not true... I worked two part time jobs to put my self through school since my parents couldn't afford it. I have a friend who is a single mom who put herself through school and now has a medical practice. If you have the will... there will always be a way.

What a stupid piece of legislation that was, preventing people who made the effort to turn their lives around from doing so.

H

headband707

Just because your in the system doesn't mean it's a good system!!!!!!! please!!! peace out Headband707

S

Smokin

In light of our current economic melt down… that anyone could commit to denying any person any opportunity… let alone the irreversible devastation of a life…? This issue would be best served if Indiana voters woke up and stopped rewarding Congressman like Mark Souder with any voice in the determination of their future.

J

Jack Griffin

His was an astonishing, refreshing act for a politician, really;
it was a slap in the face of our ignorant, draconian drug laws.

And he is a Republican, i'll have you all take note of.

S

Simple Simon

Today, Congressman Mark Souder (R-Ind.) attempted to pass an amendment that would continue to prevent students with even minor drug convictions from receiving financial aid.
Note taken ------------SS

K

Kalcu

Just sell drugs for the normal routine, seeing if partying or saving for school is more effective. Maybe even a University Mafia, just to murder those in the way!

Cute girl, VD free and open to social experiments?

Like some more VD, or just some suicide bombers?

Y

YaBoyRich

Good, as a student myself, I feel that not letting people get an education at all is criminal, whether they have a conviction or not, of any kind! But to have it where people cannot have an education cause they smoked weed is like not letting them have an education for drinking under 21, yet I do not see a law about that.

Smoke if you gott'em:rasta2:

U

ugmjfarmer

It's completely stinking thinking to say that denying education from somebody already struggling with addiction will help them. These laws are direct copies of communism laws designed to bring the country into submission. We all need to start talking about states rights, the constitution "for the united states of America" rather than the "Constitution of the United States of America". They are two different documents. Stop being so narrow minded and realize that they have tried the police state on us "drug users" for years now. Watch the next two years when they turn it on anybody who won't conform.

G

GreenTrees88

Republicans get most of the money from big business (oil). It will be interested to see if Democrats will be financial supported by the millions/billions that are being made from the medical marijuana trade.
If people that financially benefit from medical marijuana laws give that money to over turn laws in other states....wow
It will be exciting to watch.
What do you think?

S

Slab

Republicans get most of the money from big business (oil). It will be interested to see if Democrats will be financial supported by the millions/billions that are being made from the medical marijuana trade.
If people that financially benefit from medical marijuana laws give that money to over turn laws in other states....wow
It will be exciting to watch.
What do you think?

As we see with this congressman it would make sense to support the canidate indivually.Looking for more Reps that will break from the party is a good idea

Latest posts

Top Bottom