Requesting Guidance on this breeding journey

• Thread starter GimpDaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey kron is that a pool in your pic or am i hallucinating ?

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

I think flowering time would be a quantitative trait, meaning it is under the control of many different genes and would not be dominant or recessive. The dominant/recessive dichotomy really only works for qualitative traits that are under the control of one, or few, genes. The classic example of this is Mendel's peas, looking at traits like colour. In this case, the trait is controlled by a single gene and the pea can be yellow or green.

In the case of flowering time, it can be an infinite number of values within a given range, suggesting it is the result of many different genes interacting with one another (and the environment).

For qualitative traits, the offspring will generally fall between the two parents but there will be variation among them. Each generation, you would select the ones on the extreme end of the trait and over generations many of these genes would be fixed and the mean will shift in the direction of the selective pressure.

The principles here are pretty straight forward. The problem is that breeding for quantitative traits requires large numbers of plants, or extreme luck, which makes it challenging. This limitation is the main reason cannabis lacks many stable cultivars and instead relies on cloning the winners.
Thanks for simplifying it for me like that. There’s so much about heredity and genetics that still confuses me. Like How I have one type of Muscular Dystrophy (CNM-MTM), and my brother and my son have a different type of MD (Limb-Gurdle)

Alas, I don’t have my hopes up too high as far as stabilization of a 40day pheno. But I’m curious to see what comes from the f2 generation, the Backcross, and the Landrace

Kron3007

Kron3007

They all seem to be sold out during flu. We were trying to upgrade but it is slim pickings.

Kron3007

Kron3007

Yes, it is generally more complex than the simple models they use to teach genetics. I did one of those genetic tests recently and was surprised how many simple traits they got wrong based on my DNA, showing that even in the well studies human system even simple traits are not so we'll understood nor simple.

This wasn't meant to discourage you, and it is great fun making crosses and seeing what comes out. I was simply trying to let you know that it will not be inherited in that manner so your approach may need to be adjusted or your expectations dampered.

I think the best way to try for the short flowering period would be to inbreed your line. The resulting plants may not be the best plants in general, but you may be able to fix the short flowering period.

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Yes, it is generally more complex than the simple models they use to teach genetics. I did one of those genetic tests recently and was surprised how many simple traits they got wrong based on my DNA, showing that even in the well studies human system even simple traits are not so we'll understood nor simple.

This wasn't meant to discourage you, and it is great fun making crosses and seeing what comes out. I was simply trying to let you know that it will not be inherited in that manner so your approach may need to be adjusted or your expectations dampered.

I think the best way to try for the short flowering period would be to inbreed your line. The resulting plants may not be the best plants in general, but you may be able to fix the short flowering period.
Thanks.

how much do climate and environment come in to play in these things? This strain was acclimated to Hawaii’s climate for Decades; and some strains just do better in Hawaii.
I still have yet to find bud in ANY dispensary that compares with some of the Big Island White Widow I’ve had.
There was this one grower in the neighborhood I grew up in (Ewa Beach), who used to grow this strain he called “90 day wonders”. Squat little plants that were dank as hell, and their entire lifespan was 90days.

Kron3007

Kron3007

A lot. For plant breeding there is a whole area devoted to studying genotype by environment interactions. Some cultivars are more stable than others, as are some traits, but this is a real thing for sure. Breeders try to select for plants that do well in all environments, but that is not always possible

A good example is when they screen cultivars (not necessarily cannabis) in conventional vs organic production systems, the same ones do not always come out on top in both. So, the best cultivar for conventional agriculture is not necessarily the best for organic. Likewise, the best one in Hawaii will not necessarily do well in other places and vice versa.

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Update:
The early flowering Zkittlez got the Ax. As well as the Afghan Landrace. They just didn’t make the final cut. They were replaced with clones of Purple Punch and Dosidos x TK91.

the Blueberry x SpaceDawg and the other Zkittlez that were in the indoor tent, have been moved to out to the light depo.

the Molokai Frost and the Tangie x The Gift are both in reveg state right now, after the time they spent in the 12/12 tent. I won’t yield much flower from them. that’s okay, they will still get plenty of pollen.

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Tangie x The Gift is definitely not a 6 or 7 week finisher. Or even an 8 week finisher for that matter. I’m going to finish off the one outdoor, and I have 3 or 4 in an indoor tent, that I will also finish out, to see if there is anything special about the flower profile that is worth keeping. It seems to stack a whole lot of branches, but the growth pattern is asymmetrical. Will follow up with pictures soon

growsince79

growsince79

My Question is this:

if I have 3 f1 Males that are (The Gift x Tangie)

and 3 females that are (Kosher x Tangie)

should I collect the Pollen from all three males, and breed them in pairs with the 3females?
Or
Collect pollen from all 3 males, mix the pollen, and pollinate all females with mixed pollin (then pheno hunt for the desired trait throughout subsequent generations)

Or
Save the Pollen from the most vigorous (The Gift x Tangie) male, and pollinate all subsequent generations with pollin from original f1 male?
If your goal is early finish, why not use pollen from the earliest male.

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

Originally, that was the plan. But after growing them out, they didn’t have the traits I had hoped for. I ended up saving pollen from another male, with traits all the way on the other side of the spectrum.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So very jealous. Things today are so inbred and everyone is going for stratospheric THC percentages that many of the original land race genetics have been lost. They have such value! You got some remarkable karma working for you dude, however you are living keep it up!

GimpDaddy

GimpDaddy

I have a few friends back home in Hawaii, who have been asking me for seeds. I ended up selecting a different male, that I felt would do better in Hawaii’s climate than my Oregon Grow.
my selected male was an Original Haze f4 “Haze 4 Days”, originally bred by Mr Toad from Boneyard. It’s a 16-18 week finisher, that reaches heights of up to 20ft. Testing in the mid 20’s THC, and over 5% CBG.
i dusted a few of my outdoor plants on some of their lower branches with just a little bit of pollen. We heavily dusted the outdoor Molokai Frost plant. Hope to get a decent amount of seeds from that one.
I read in another thread here on this forum, that the Molokai Frost is not to be bought or sold, and in respect and observance I’m not trying to sell any of the seeds from this season, only gifting them.
Here’s a shot of some of the colas on my Molokai Frost.
6C394F8C EA28 4DF6 909D BF868AE3EC32

Top Bottom