Res size: how big is too big?

• Thread starter FreeMarket
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FreeMarket

Hey all,

Has anyone ever run into any problems with having too large of a res?

I was planning on running a standard DWC with 6 5 gallon buckets hooked to a res and recirced...and I was toying with the idea of using one of the giant 45 gallon tubs from Wally world for the res.

On the surface, it seems like this would keep the nutrient level & PH stable for longer periods of time, therefor requiring less maintenance in this area.

Can anyone think of minuses? Any experience here?

L

Lost

For a dwc setup, 45 gallons would be great. 100 even better...

R

Rabbit

I've been running a couple of test grows with some 4 x 8 tables and a 30 gal recirculation tub. I have two pumps in the table, itself, to keep the nute solution stirred and moving. There is a circulation pump and a stirring pump in the tub as well. I use A.N. nutes according to their "light" feeding chart from their web site. 45 plants in each table with a total liquid content of about 80 gal. The water is aerated with a fish aquarium pump and two air stones in the 30 gallon tub. The room is c02 enriched. The lights are air cooled as is the flowering room (heavy 220v window unit AC).

I find that my PH rises everyday and must be readjusted with several tablespoons of PH down. There doesn't seem to be any way around this for me. Maybe if I used organic nutes this wouldn't be a problem. Don't know. :(

L

Lost

Keep in mind that ph wander more in a DWC system than any other system. Larger res is better :)

J

Jalisco Kid

I think going over 4gal per plant with pipes filled etc. is an overkill.
Adding an oz a day to your rez seems crazy to me. I doubt I add a pt per cycle to a rez that had the correct pH going in. That's in 2 60 gal rez that runs 45 gal each in them. JK

B

bdawgburner

If you use that size rez make sure you nest it in another one, they expand quite a bit when you fill it. I have one filled 35 gallon for my E&F and it bowes out pretty bad since it's not nested.

L

Lost

55 gallon drums work very well, the large plastic ones.. And they are fairly cheap..

V

viva mexico

55 gallon drums work very well, the large plastic ones.. And they are fairly cheap..

exactly what i use for my bucket system. i would like to think that the bigger the better. i know its less work with a bigger rez.

F

FreeMarket

Thanks for the input guys.

Question on the 55 gallon drum...how do you maintain the water level? Do you have a control hooked up to the drum with a float valve?

TIA

V

viva mexico

i use a bucket system that has a controller bucket. it has two floats in it. it floods and drains the system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom