Reusing ProMix (or other media) when fertilizing with Hydroponic ferts, is this safe or a bad idea, and why?

• Thread starter 1Dobo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1Dobo

1Dobo

Background: I grow in 25 gallon pots in an old greenhouse (thirty of them) using ProMix with a little Super Soil fust for a little leafy matter/compost, plus a little extra perlite for drainage. I fertilize with Mega Crop which is a very complete hydroponic fertilizer. I vegged clones for one month the first time, and for the second grow, two months (using the same soil from the first grow)... then put them into flower for approximately 8 weeks.

My neighbor who has probably 40 years experience (but growing in soil only, not growbags) says I MUST NOT reuse soil. My take is that the soil in my grow bags is being used more for a medium to grow in, as opposed to a "living soil". I provide nutrients with every watering, so nothing is lacking that I can tell. I've even seen a few worms that have somehow gotten into the bags, so I am assuming the mix is still healthy. My last grow (short season here in Hawaii, Nov-Feb), second time using the soil I did have a significant reduction in yield. The neighbor says it was due to the reuse of soil, and that the soil is spent. I counter that how can it be spent if it is a neutral medium and I add nutes to it every time I water? I'm chalking it up to short season daylight hours, and a huge infestation of spider mites which sucked the plants dry. Not to mention battling powdery mildew which was relentless with the humidity and rain we had for six weeks straight. Anyway, this next time I'm experimenting with 15 plants in new soil and 15 in used soil (amended with a little fresh perlite).

I'm looking for opinions from people who have some sort of experience, either good or bad. I'm really trying to avoid spending $1,000+ on new Pro Mix every three months, and besides, I'm to the age where it is really difficult for me to haul this stuff in my car, making multiple trips. One bale of Pro Mix here is $50 too, not to mention the one hour drive to get it. Wish I could just grow in the ground, but I live on top of a lava flow, so it is a little rocky, lol.

Top Bottom