reusing soil???

• Thread starter kindindy123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kindindy123

been growing organic for about 2yrs now,and it kills me to toss soil every week,not to mention the telltale perlite,,cant use anymore around house,so what i tryed to do is clean as much of rootball away,started a bin,i read somwhere that u could use a pond enzyme,that will not harm plants but should break down any dead organic,,roots,i keep turning it every couple of days,is this soil good to use,,i add no chem ferts,exept for the pond stuff.my soil mix is pro mix,ewc,forest humus ex perlite,dolomite, for flower base mix just top dress with guanos,& fish bloom,,all bennys added to any transplant,another bin of old soil i put 15 worms in it 3 months ago,they r still alive,got to keep soil kinda wet though. any info or input from u guys is much appreciated. thanks kindindy123 :sweating

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Hello

Sounds like you are starting a worm farm, hope that goes well. I often reuse my soil I just add back some nutrients and water with a tea weekly. Hygrozyme is used for the purpose you said the pond enzyme was or is used for, I use it weekly also. Sounds like you've actually got a compost/ worm farm which is a good idea. You need to keep those worms fed and they'll turn that crap into earth worm castings you can use instead of the boughten. I think your onto reusing your soil, take care

mal

Abek666

Abek666

reusing the soil is a real good idear keep this up and you really must not buy this nice stuff add some potato paring or banana paring it adds good food for the worms egg shells also seem to be good how big is the container you have this soil in and do have it some holes in it without the worms could die eventually

have a good day see ya

T

TheVenusflytrap

i think its a good idea have done a couple times they say to add more lime to it aswell to bring ur ph back and stablize everything id get a ph dirt meter and check the ph of it before reusing though or fill a bucket and check the runoff

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

reusing the soil is a real good idear keep this up and you really must not buy this nice stuff add some potato paring or banana paring it adds good food for the worms egg shells also seem to be good how big is the container you have this soil in and do have it some holes in it without the worms could die eventually

have a good day see ya

I reuse my soil all the time by putting it into the worm buckets I started. Just a five gallon bucket with some soil in it to start. I add vegetable scraps and all kinds of organic trash and paper stuff. I threw some worms in there that I bought at a gardening store about 30 to 50. They eat everything I throw in there and I add coffee grounds for nitrogen and egg shells for calcium.

i think its a good idea have done a couple times they say to add more lime to it aswell to bring ur ph back and stablize everything id get a ph dirt meter and check the ph of it before reusing though or fill a bucket and check the runoff

Pretty sure earth worms neutralize the ph of the soil so it can be used without adjusting but adding dolomitic lime never hurts. I adjust the ph to about 6.3 with lemon juice in my feed water to maximize nutrition uptake. Works very well.

EDIT: Getting a ph meter is always a good idea.

dumpstergrower

dumpstergrower

there is a guy who uses his soil 3-4 times he adds some of stuff in a box that has
unce tom on it and reuses it rightaway with no probs

T

treehugger

i get 9 or 10 uses out of all of my condoms, i just lay em out to dry for a few days and let the microflora go to work, and BAM!, they're good to go again!

B

Buddy Hemphill

i get 9 or 10 uses out of all of my condoms, i just lay em out to dry for a few days and let the microflora go to work, and BAM!, they're good to go again!

I kinda got sick trying to understand this.

Reactions: mal
GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

LMFAO, great analogy, that's about how I feel when it comes to reusing grow media of any kind. Dude, it's like $1/gal at the store, just go buy more. Fookin hippies, lol.

coloradochem

coloradochem

i reuse my soil all the time, in fact my second and third run normally yields more than the first run. i sperate the rootballs and hit it with some myco and go for it.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I keep my soil in a big trash can in my garage - turn it daily and reuse adding new organic chems and check the ph - never seem to have any problems , yes it is fairly cheap to re-buy but really dont wanna be carrying soil in house in dead of winter or to many trips to hydro scare me... is this a good idea or bad as i am slightly confused about some of the resposnces on here..... yes sea your wisdom has confused me lol - hope all is well got the pr in flower about two weeks now gotta get a picture up for you soon.... weird looking plant .......peace

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

in a organic soil thread the advise is to use new medium each time?
priceless
not giving advice at all, just saying what i do and what was reiterated at last week's subcool school of dank. was responding cuz i thought his response was funny, not to bestow knowledge, or troll, oh mighty poo bah of trolls and goblins.

btw, have we met yet sweetheart?

G

Greener side

Lol

Hilarious!! Y reuse when it's cheap enough to buy new????...... Great. Idea to keep the same problems u had from reusing your las batch of soil..lol..NOT

soserthc1

soserthc1

can someone tell me what a trial user means under someone's name and is there a rule of thumb for the green dots or is it all karma -rep related - post i see people with 1000+ post with two green dots and then some with less post with more ? peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Soser, I think it's while the new user is below a certain post count, maybe during the same time that their posts need to be approved.

Hilarious!! Y reuse when it's cheap enough to buy new????...... Great. Idea to keep the same problems u had from reusing your las batch of soil..lol..NOT

Who says I'm having problems with my soil? Ha ha! Who, for that matter, says the original poster is having problems with anything other than not wanting to waste a valuable resource? Why are so many people so ready and willing to throw something out? Just because you can doesn't mean you should (or even have to?).

I don't know about the pond enzymes, but I have often used, and still often use, one of the pre-mixed line of dry fertilizers made by Dr. Earth to break down old roots, as well as reinoculate the media with beneficial microbes and macro and micronutrients. Simply put, once you figure out how to do it, what is needed after growing a crop it's easy. Another suggestion is to check out one of the no till threads. Should be in the organic soil section over at ICMag (I don't know if there is a similar thread here).

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

the problem lies within the ignorance of folks like barry munday greenthumb and greenerside that have zero knowledge about why and how things work so they have to dispose of the diseased, infested byproducts that they produce in hopes they won't repeat instead of learning to do it right and in their arrogance then spend their time misinforming other poster that are actually trying to learn

kindindy123, i currently have reused soil(although technically soil less due to the lack of silt and clay) that has 15 or so years on it along with various other mediums , so yeah, you can reuse it

great info as usual seamaiden

fwiw

Latest posts

Top Bottom