Reverse Engineered Consumer Nutrient Blends. Making The Transition To Regular Fertilizers Easy.

• Thread starter MrBlah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrBlah

MrBlah

So, I've been growing and telling people how to manage fertilizers in greenhouses and on normal farms for a while. And I've only ever used normal fertilizers. So, naturally, that's what I started using when I started growing cannabis for myself. What I mean by normal fertilizers are compounds such as ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, monoammonium phosphate, monopotassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, potassium carbonate, phosphoric acid, nitric acid, ammonium sulfate, magnesium nitrate, and so on.

So, it came as a surprise to me when many people buy liquid blends that are ridiculously expensive. I mean, I know the consumer market is always marked up higher than anything I deal with, sure, but holy shit batman! Even on the "commercial" side. A 275g tote of a concentrate for $15,000? I can make the same thing for like 1/10 the cost. It's just silly.

Anyway, I decided to start reverse engineering all these blends because it's basically the same type of work I do on a daily basis. If I spend a little bit of time each week, I'm sure I could save everyone a ton of money.

Now, I know some you guys already use normal fertilizers, and this is not directed at you. The point is to make the transition from the overpriced liquid blends easy for anyone to do. An individual effectively does not have to switch the product they are using. That is why I reverse engineered them.

The first few that I'm posting here are to show you how close I can get. In addition, something to keep in mind is that there are multiple ways to create the same product. So, just because the listing on label says "A,B,C,D" does not mean you need those 4 compounds to make it. I could possibly be providing the same thing using "A,C,E,F" or whatever.

You'll notice I used chelated micronutrients. I tend to use them over sodium molybdate, boric acid, manganese sulfate, etc. Specifically, for these exercises I used the Biomins Glycine chelates. There are a ton of different chelates you can buy. In liquid form, in solid form, whatever percent. I'd be happy to explain how to modify these blends or to use a different chelate with a different percent at a later date.

You can find every blend that I've done so far at http://www.open-salt.com/fertilizer-database/. If you have any questions or requests, let me know. I am constantly updating the lists I have there.

Cultured Solutions Veg A:

Veg A has a guaranteed analysis that is the following,:
N total: 5%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 4.6%
Ammoniacal-N, N-NH4: 0.4%
Urea-N, N-NH2: 0%
Phosphorous, P2O5: 0%
Potassium, K2O: 0.3%
Calcium, Ca: 6%
Magnesium, Mg: 0%
Combined Sulfur: 0%
Iron, Fe: 0.057%
Copper, Cu: 0.0035%
Boron, B: 0.015%
Manganese, Mn: 0.017%
Molybdenum, Mo: 0.001%
Zinc, Zn: 0.003%

Derived from:
Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron EDTA
Copper EDTA
Manganese EDTA
Sodium Molybdate
Sodium Borate
Zinc EDTA

Here is what you need to get that:

Calcium Nitrate: 315,130 mg/l
Potassium Nitrate: 6483.4 mg/l
18% EDTA chelated Iron: 3,166.6 mg/l
18% chelated Manganese: 944.44 mg/l
15% chelated Boron: 1,000 mg/l
20% chelated Zinc: 150 mg/l
17% chelated Copper: 205.88 mg/l
8% chelated Molybdenum: 125 mg/l

This creates a blend that has the following percentages:
N total: 5.000%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 4.653%
Ammoniacal-N, N-NH4: 0.3466%
Calcium, Ca: 5.987%

You’ll notice I did not have any ammoniacal nitrogen sources, or it appear that way. I do not use specifically Ammonium Calcium Nitrate. This is because the Calcium Nitrate I used has a little bit of N-NH3 in it. It’s the Haifa GG Calcium Nitrate. You can buy it from some local fertilizer re-salers.

I also did not use a sodium molybdate or borate and instead decided to use the chelates. I did this because I try to reduce the amount of sodium I use in my hydroponic solutions as it tends to be bad to have above 75ppm of sodium in solution. When growing in soil it is less of an issue.

Cultured Solutions Veg B:

Veg B has a guaranteed analysis that is the following,:
N total: 1.3%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 1.3%
Ammoniacal-N, N-NH4: 0%
Phosphorous, P2O5: 2.0%
Potassium, K2O: 5.9%
Calcium, Ca: 0%
Magnesium, Mg: 1.0%
Combined Sulfur: 1.3%

Derived from:
Mono-Potassium Phosphate
Potassium Nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate

Mono-Potassium Phosphate: 38,457.32 mg/l
Potassium Nitrate: 98,518.52 mg/l
Magnesium Sulfate: 102,040.80 mg/l

N total: 1.33%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 1.33%
Ammoniacal-N, N-NH4: 0.0%
Potassium, K2O: 5.889%
Calcium, Ca: 0.0%
Combined Sulfur: 1.327%

Cultured Solutions Bloom A:

Bloom A has a guaranteed analysis that is the following,:
N total: 3.7%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 3.5%
Ammoniacal-N, N-NH4: 0.2%
Potassium, K2O: 3.0%
Calcium, Ca: 3.5%
Iron, Fe: 0.09%
Boron, B: 0.01%
Molybdenum, Mo: 0.002%
Zinc, Zn: 0.007%

Derived from:
Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron EDTA
Copper EDTA
Manganese EDTA
Sodium Molybdate
Sodium Borate
Zinc EDTA

Calcium Nitrate: 181,781.6 mg/l
Potassium Nitrate: 64834.04 mg/l
18% EDTA chelated Iron: 5,000.0 mg/l
15% chelated Boron: 666.67 mg/l
20% chelated Zinc: 350.0 mg/l
8% chelated Molybdenum: 250.0 mg/l

N total: 3.73%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 3.53%
Ammoniacal-N, N-NH4: 0.20%
Calcium, Ca: 3.45%

Cultured Solutions Bloom B:

Bloom B has a guaranteed analysis that is the following,:
N total: 0.9%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 0.9%
Phosphorous, P2O5: 4.8%
Potassium, K2O: 6.2%
Magnesium, Mg: 0.75%
Combined Sulfur: 1.0%

Derived from:
Mono-Potassium Phosphate
Potassium Nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate

Mono-Potassium Phosphate: 92,297.58 mg/l
Potassium Nitrate: 65,007.48 mg/l
Magnesium Sulfate: 76,530.61 mg/l

N total: 0.878%
Nitrate-N, N-NO3: 0.878%

MrBlah

MrBlah

Thank you to the admin who removed this post the first time. There were some things wrong with it that I realized after posting and then I waited too long to edit. Then I think a second admin removed what I reposted? :D Anyway, thanks to the admins. Their job is sometimes forgotten. But not today!

Anyway...

This is a short tutorial on the physical steps it takes to mix your own nutrient stock solutions. It's awfully simple, sure, but I figured it's worth posting. I know many of you that might be on the fence will realize it's just as easy as baking or cooking.

So now you've decided you want to save a lot of money on your fertilizer blends and mix them yourself. But maybe you don't know where to start. This guide should lay it all out for you, just like a recipe for baking cookies.

First, you need to know what blend you want to make, what recipe to use. You can find a bunch of recipes in my Fertilizer Database.

Then you need your ingredients. You need to buy some fertilizers. There's a lot of places to buy them. Do a good search for each of the items on the list. Or visit websites like cropking.com, plantsthatproduce.com, Amazon, or even eBay. There are plenty that sell the fertilizers we will be using. If you're worried about what you're buying, feel free to contact me or leave a comment here. I'm happy to help.

You will also need a few tools to complete the job. You should be able to acquire everything you see here for under $75.
  • A balance with 0.1g precision, 0-300g range at a minimum.
  • A balance with 0.001g precision, 0-20g range at a minimum.
  • A graduated cylinder, 500mL minimum. Plastic is okay.
  • Two bottles for storing the mixture, you probably already have one.
Search Amazon, eBay, or any other part of the Internet to find these.

The last thing you'll need is some distilled water. Your local grocery store should sell some. Specifically distilled water though. Anything labeled "drinking water" or "spring water" will have minerals and nutrients in it that will through off the blend you are about to make. If you have an RO filtration system, water from that will work as well.

Now that you have everything, you need to create the stock solution. We are going to create a 1.0L stock solution. We are going to use a CalMag Blend with micro-nutrients as an example.

This recipe for a 1.0L stock solution uses the following:
  • Calcium Nitrate: 170.0g
  • Magnesium Nitrate: 117.7g
  • Fe-chelated 18%: 5.000g
  • Mn-chelated 18%: 2.777g
  • Zn-chelated 20%: 2.500g
Step 1: Measure out 500mL of distilled water with the graduated cylinder and pour it into a bottle ~1.0L in volume. Label this bottle #1.

Step 2: Weigh out macro-nutrient fertilizers(Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate) first using the 0-300g balance. Empty these into Bottle #1. Swirl it around, but do not shake it yet. It's okay if not everything dissolves at this stage.

Step 3: Weigh out the micro-nutrient fertilizers using the 0-20g balance and empty them into Bottle #1. Swirl the bottle some more. You might have noticed the chelated micro-nutrient fertilizers that I have in the recipe above are specifically the Biomins Glycine chelates from JHBiotech. There are many chelates you can use, so if you don't want to use those for this recipe that is okay. More on this in another article.

Step 4: Measure out another 300mL of water. Empty it into Bottle #1. Close the bottle. Shake and wait for everything to dissolve.

Step 5: Measure out 500mL in the graduated cylinder from the bottle that you have your stock solution in. Pour this into a second bottle. Label this bottle #2.

Step 6: Empty the remainder of Bottle #1 into the graduated cylinder and fill it up to 500mL with distilled water. Pour into Bottle #2. Bottle #2 now has your completed fertilizer stock solution.

Congratulations! You've just mixed your own liquid fertilizer blend! Now use it just like you normally would.

tommy2snips

tommy2snips

Outstanding Sir...Thx so much!!! I already see you'll be explaining all this in a way that the common man can figure out. I've tried learning from a few other threads about this...and it was all Greek to me. I couldn't make enough sense of it to give it a go.
Following along and will start reading up. I am at a stage where I could/should just mix my own...IF it is substantially cheaper after it's all said and done.

This could be a loaded question, but...Which of the Brand Name mixes is the most 'complete' in your opinion? The flip side...which are obviously lacking something?

Thx

MrBlah

MrBlah

Outstanding Sir...Thx so much!!! I already see you'll be explaining all this in a way that the common man can figure out. I've tried learning from a few other threads about this...and it was all Greek to me. I couldn't make enough sense of it to give it a go.
Following along and will start reading up. I am at a stage where I could/should just mix my own...IF it is substantially cheaper after it's all said and done.

This could be a loaded question, but...Which of the Brand Name mixes is the most 'complete' in your opinion? The flip side...which are obviously lacking something?

Thx

I'm glad you like it.

To answer your question, I can't actually answer your question, YET. And this has to do with the fact that I'm not done reverse engineering everything yet. There are some products that do not list everything on the label because they are at low concentrations and aren't required to list it. So, until I get a detailed lab analysis on those, I can't give an opinion. And until I have data on everything, I also can't give an opinion because I don't know.

L

longshot94

You are also my new HERO with this news!

Last edited:
MrBlah

MrBlah

You are also my new HERO with this news!

I'm glad you like it.

Also, I haven't posted much new for the past two weeks since I've started working on some backend stuff with the website and an online shop so I can afford to pay for all this lab analysis.

N

nightmarecreature

Nice! Keep the recipes coming! Im a big fan of JHbiotech Biomin!

ABENAKI

ABENAKI

Nice to see your willing to spread knowledgebase of such a great extent. Lovely.
I have gone from handmixing macros from guanos etc to soiless sunshine mix type with cal-mag and fish hydrosylates, but i must say this jacks 20-20-20, truly an eye opening experiance for ease of use and all encompassing needs addressed in my gardens. Verynice sir.
20160209 153905

C

CreamCorn

MrBlah. I us HG and am think of switching to cultured solutions. After reading this I am thinking of making my own. Wonder what the cost difference is? Also do you have the recipes for the uc roots and bloom? Also how do I find other recipes on open salt? Thanks for your post and time. It's very interesting

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Nice to see your willing to spread knowledgebase of such a great extent. Lovely.
I have gone from handmixing macros from guanos etc to soiless sunshine mix type with cal-mag and fish hydrosylates, but i must say this jacks 20-20-20, truly an eye opening experiance for ease of use and all encompassing needs addressed in my gardens. Verynice sir.
View attachment 572977
Good stuff and cheap. I don't have the time to mix my own salts.

Fruitflower

Fruitflower

So, I've been growing and telling people how to manage fertilizers in greenhouses and on normal farms for a while. And I've only ever used normal fertilizers. So, naturally, that's what I started using when I started growing cannabis for myself. What I mean by normal fertilizers are compounds such as ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, monoammonium phosphate, monopotassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, potassium carbonate, phosphoric acid, nitric acid, ammonium sulfate, magnesium nitrate, and so on.

So, it came as a surprise to me when many people buy liquid blends that are ridiculously expensive. I mean, I know the consumer market is always marked up higher than anything I deal with, sure, but holy shit batman! Even on the "commercial" side. A 275g tote of a concentrate for $15,000? I can make the same thing for like 1/10 the cost. It's just silly.

Anyway, I decided to start reverse engineering all these blends because it's basically the same type of work I do on a daily basis. If I spend a little bit of time each week, I'm sure I could save everyone a ton of money.

Now, I know some you guys already use normal fertilizers, and this is not directed at you. The point is to make the transition from the overpriced liquid blends easy for anyone to do. An individual effectively does not have to switch the product they are using. That is why I reverse engineered them.

The first few that I'm posting here are to show you how close I can get. In addition, something to keep in mind is that there are multiple ways to create the same product. So, just because the listing on label says "A,B,C,D" does not mean you need those 4 compounds to make it. I could possibly be providing the same thing using "A,C,E,F" or whatever.

You'll notice I used chelated micronutrients. I tend to use them over sodium molybdate, boric acid, manganese sulfate, etc. Specifically, for these exercises I used the Biomins Glycine chelates. There are a ton of different chelates you can buy. In liquid form, in solid form, whatever percent. I'd be happy to explain how to modify these blends or to use a different chelate with a different percent at a later date.

You can find every blend that I've done so far at http://www.open-salt.com/fertilizer-database/. If you have any questions or requests, let me know. I am constantly updating the lists I have there.

Derived from:
Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron EDTA
Copper EDTA
Manganese EDTA
Sodium Molybdate
Sodium Borate
Zinc EDTA

You’ll notice I did not have any ammoniacal nitrogen sources, or it appear that way. I do not use specifically Ammonium Calcium Nitrate. This is because the Calcium Nitrate I used has a little bit of N-NH3 in it. It’s the Haifa GG Calcium Nitrate. You can buy it from some local fertilizer re-salers.

I also did not use a sodium molybdate or borate and instead decided to use the chelates. I did this because I try to reduce the amount of sodium I use in my hydroponic solutions as it tends to be bad to have above 75ppm of sodium in solution. When growing in soil it is less of an issue.

Derived from:
Mono-Potassium Phosphate
Potassium Nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate

Derived from:
Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron EDTA
Copper EDTA
Manganese EDTA
Sodium Molybdate
Sodium Borate
Zinc EDTA

Derived from:
Mono-Potassium Phosphate
Potassium Nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate

Is the open salt website down permanently? I was so excited to check this out.

M

MagicLawn

Derived from:
Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron EDTA
Copper EDTA
Manganese EDTA
Sodium Molybdate
Sodium Borate
Zinc EDTA

Derived from:
Mono-Potassium Phosphate
Potassium Nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate

Derived from:
Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Nitrate
Iron EDTA
Copper EDTA
Manganese EDTA
Sodium Molybdate
Sodium Borate
Zinc EDTA

Derived from:
Mono-Potassium Phosphate
Potassium Nitrate
Magnesium Sulfate

Hey MrBlah, if that is your real name. Haha. Anyway I have a lawn care company and there's a brand of fertilizer (who shall remain nameless) that I use routinely to treat certain conditions my customers often have, only problem is the manufacturer is extremely proud of his product ($$$) and I'd like to reverse engineer it, not for resale, but for my own purposes and make some modifications to it that would fit my customers needs, not to mention their budges, a little better. How would you suggest I go about this? The manufacturer includes a list of the ingredients, but not the quantities of each. Is there a resource you could point me to who could help me figure out the mix and where to purchase the raw materials so I can mix my own product? Thanks much!

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
A lot of the Open Salts site recipes can still be found at:
http://opensalts.wikidot.com/start

There are certain powder products I'm surprised more people aren't using if they are on a budget- Jack's 3/2/1 (of course), Oasis hydroponic 16-4-17 or Growmore Mendocino Producers Choice as a base. Homemade MOAB and Hammerhead stickied in the forums here are perfectly suitable bloom boosters.

For a flush, I am using 1 tsp. potassium sulfate, 1 gram 90% fulvic in 5 gallons of water. It is very similar to Heavy 16 Finish.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
View attachment 572977
I have used Jack's and Peter's 20-20-20 for decades and it works great with Promix, especially with about 20% compost added to insure micronutrients and stuff, oh...and wood ashes. I really don't use anything else and have great and consistent results. Less is better.

Top Bottom