reverse osmosis filter.what are you using?

• Thread starter larebowm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

larebowm

thinking about gettin a ro system and would like ideas from others.
or maybe i should just fix my well? still waiting on utility board for water quality
.they seem to have lost records on the well its about 50 years old lol

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
Stealth 200.I ran a 100 upgraded to 200, overhauling it costed the same as a new one so buy big, a double membrane kit plus prefilters=a new ro.also cover the containers by cutting a square whole in the box and covering up unit to prevent algae from growing

Cort

Cort

Stay away from the hydrostore gimmick brands, unless you like spending 3x as much for a similar unit marketed for aquariums.

Check ebay, Bulk Reef Supply and Amazon for aquarium gear. You might be shocked when you look at what others pay to replace filters/membranes.

afi

afi

I second Bulk Reef Supply. I got the Spartan 300 gl a day with the booster pump. Works great and pumps fast compared to all the smaller ones I have tried.

Peace, Afi

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

Defently go with bulk reef supply... the owner is great people... I'm also into reef aquariums and he was just another guy like me and started bulk reef supply to help people save money but provide you with better quality products ... Been shopping through his site since it opened .. Have had the same RO/DI unit for going on 5 years now and just have to change the filters but have never had a problem with it like I had with others

ttystikk

ttystikk

Muah hahahaha.... nothing! I used to run an ro until I stuck my tds meter into the sink. 50ppm... I can live with that. Chalk this one up to just living in the right spot and dumb luck.

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

Muah hahahaha.... nothing! I used to run an ro until I stuck my tds meter into the sink. 50ppm... I can live with that. Chalk this one up to just living in the right spot and dumb luck.
Man your lucky... Our water here is so bad i feal bad giving it Tom dogs lol.. When I didn't run a filter I got lazy and used our tap one time on a 300 gallon reef tank and it was 5 gallons was all and the next day I had horrible algae growth all over the glass and on the sand bed so I defently wouldn't give my plants this water... We get warnings Atleast a few times a year not to drink the water lol so its bad and yet we pay for this shit water

ttystikk

ttystikk

Man your lucky... Our water here is so bad i feal bad giving it Tom dogs lol.. When I didn't run a filter I got lazy and used our tap one time on a 300 gallon reef tank and it was 5 gallons was all and the next day I had horrible algae growth all over the glass and on the sand bed so I defently wouldn't give my plants this water... We get warnings Atleast a few times a year not to drink the water lol so its bad and yet we pay for this shit water

Wow, that's hard core! You might consider something like a solar water distillery to help provide better water for yourself. Ro works, but sometimes having a water conditioner upstream of it helps it out. You should look into that.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

i run an hydrologic r/o 1000, however i hate how wasteful r/o is, i have to use it though because the water at my spot comes out at 700ppm. the thing kicks it though at 80 psi of water pressure puts out 50 gal an hour.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I got a 150gpd unit from Purewaterclub.com a few years back. The replacement filters are pretty cheap.

I get my DI from the filter guys though. I like the color changing DI....lets me know when its time to change it out.

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

I second Bulk Reef Supply. I got the Spartan 300 gl a day with the booster pump. Works great and pumps fast compared to all the smaller ones I have tried.

Peace, Afi
Mines only a 35 gallon per day ... Reason was when I first started my reef tank I was told the Less water a day it makes the cleaner it will be but now I found by doing a tds check on say your 300 gpd system and my 35 gpd its about the same reading which mines always at 0 ppms. It will start rising fast once the filters need changed out also the membrane is the most expensive part but if you keep the prefiltes changed as needed the membrane will last years... Mines still the original one from almost 5 years ago and I change the filters once a year and it saves the membrane but its always stays zero ppm so I never bother changing I since they say you don't have to untill its ruined from running your prefiltes to long also they need back washed also if you guys didn't know which I honestly haven't done in a few years .... Oooops lol anyways just thought I'd through that info out there incase the OP didn't know or anyone else

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
thinking about gettin a ro system and would like ideas from others.
or maybe i should just fix my well? still waiting on utility board for water quality
.they seem to have lost records on the well its about 50 years old lol
If it's that old then it may need to be tested again. A lot has changed in the Old High Oh in fiddy years, hasn't it?

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

If it's that old then it may need to be tested again. A lot has changed in the Old High Oh in fiddy years, hasn't it?
For sure... I'm in mich 15 mins from oh high oh as you call it :-) but ya to me its a must to have a RO or RO/DI unit ... Saves alot of headache ... Had a few guys literally kill there whole crop over bad water...'anything can get into our waste supply these days and its not worth it to me to waste alot of time and work ... My fish tank as I said went to hell literally over night cause of city water and I now well is normally better but sometimes its just as bad

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

<cough>Cuyahoga<coughcough>
Are you on the gage green genetics forum seamaiden? I lurk there for time to time and do test grows for them under another name then this one ... Its 1973caregiver over there

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

Wow, that's hard core! You might consider something like a solar water distillery to help provide better water for yourself. Ro works, but sometimes having a water conditioner upstream of it helps it out. You should look into that.
Thanks buddy ... Ill defently look into that ... We literally only shower in out water and that's bad enough lol dont know how clean its really getting us lol

afi

afi

Mines only a 35 gallon per day ... Reason was when I first started my reef tank I was told the Less water a day it makes the cleaner it will be but now I found by doing a tds check on say your 300 gpd system and my 35 gpd its about the same reading which mines always at 0 ppms. It will start rising fast once the filters need changed out also the membrane is the most expensive part but if you keep the prefiltes changed as needed the membrane will last years... Mines still the original one from almost 5 years ago and I change the filters once a year and it saves the membrane but its always stays zero ppm so I never bother changing I since they say you don't have to untill its ruined from running your prefiltes to long also they need back washed also if you guys didn't know which I honestly haven't done in a few years .... Oooops lol anyways just thought I'd through that info out there incase the OP didn't know or anyone else
I dont have any problems with tds readings as it is always 0 and I change filters once a year and then my readings are only between 3-5 ppm but the prefilters look nasty so I change them. I don`t like storing water so using a larger Ro system gives me water on demand. I`m an impatient man Lol.

Peace, Afi

1973chemgrower

1973chemgrower

I dont have any problems with tds readings as it is always 0 and I change filters once a year and then my readings are only between 3-5 ppm but the prefilters look nasty so I change them. I don`t like storing water so using a larger Ro system gives me water on demand. I`m an impatient man Lol.

Peace, Afi
Oh trust me I hear ya ... I actually needed watter the other day and between the wife running the washer and the kids having the hose on all day it held me at about 1 gpd lmao so it pissed me off so I defently need to get a bigger sediment filter since that's all you need to change out to up your gpd and the flow restrictor to almost forgot bu its simple so it costs very little on bulk reef supply to up mine from 35 to 100 and that will help out alot as of now I always have to make sure i turn the filter on when the barrel is half full which is another thing I'm gonna do next is add a float valve to make it kick on when it gets low and off when it gets full ... Got my fish tank set to auto fill when the level drops so the salinity stays in good range and my lazy ass dont have to hand top the tank off but def need to do the same for my water i use for growing

Top Bottom