Reverse Osmosis Water Plumbing Questions

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I am upgrading my indoor space, a small room. I am adding water supply and a drain to the room. It's a hydro setup, and I am setting up the plumbing for auto-filling the system. I am thinking of installing an RO filter, mounting it on the wall near the supply and drain. The system will have a total capacity of about 30 gallons. My water is about 220ppm from the tap, and typically pH's around 7.5 to 8. We have excellent/high water pressure.

I have never used, touched, or seen in the flesh an RO filter. What kind of output pressure of the RO water can I expect? What should I be thinking about? Any particular unit I should consider? Thinking of this one: https://hydrobuilder.com/hydro-logi...nf.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU0MjEiOiIxMDI4MCJ9

Thanks for your help.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have a stealth 100 and it takes good water pressure to make the filter work in the first place then wastes 2/3 of the water filtering and returns a third of the pressure as an estimate as well.

I feel the 100 is slow. But the 300 is much higher capacity.

I probably didnt help much here.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Are you planning to connect it to a garden hose? Even then, probably not the best choice. MOST tap water pressure is not high enough for proper rejection. Check out iSpring with a booster pump

Enforcer

Enforcer

I have the same filter but it’s 150gpd. Works great, and takes a couple hours to fill a 32 gallon res. My tap water isn’t that bad, so I have the 1:1 ratio tube installed. Just so it doesn’t waste as much water. It will work just fine anywhere between 40-80psi of pressure.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Are you planning to connect it to a garden hose? Even then, probably not the best choice. MOST tap water pressure is not high enough for proper rejection. Check out iSpring with a booster pump
Ours is quite high. Specs say 60 psi is required, I suspect we're at least close. That brand has a booster pump offered as well.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

I just bought an ro system. I tee'd off the little hose that goes to the faucet, and I use a float valve to fill a 40 gallon tote. At the bottom of the tote a drilled a hole and put a hose coming out of it. I put a shut-off valve on the end, and put the tote on a high shelf. Gravity feeds the water out so I have plenty of ro water on hands at all times, and it comes out much faster than if it were coming straight out of the system.

K

Krisforce

I just bought an ro system. I tee'd off the little hose that goes to the faucet, and I use a float valve to fill a 40 gallon tote. At the bottom of the tote a drilled a hole and put a hose coming out of it. I put a shut-off valve on the end, and put the tote on a high shelf. Gravity feeds the water out so I have plenty of ro water on hands at all times, and it comes out much faster than if it were coming straight out of the system.
Hy, how would you make a buffer solution with KHCO3 (Potassium bicarbonate) to have a pH of around 5,5–6. It would be used in a hydroponics system to make a buffer solution in RO water (demineralized) that can resist the acidic nutrient fertilizer. Tried with 60 mg/L and 90 mg/L of KHCO3, but unfortunately, the pH drops drastically to a level of pH 4 after 4-5 days, which is not good for my plants… IMPORTANT: the system is a passive system not bubbling CO2 in the solution!!!

So, in 1 L RO water, I added 90 mg of Potassium Bicarbonate (KHCO3) as a buffer and make the solution to 90 ppm (128,6 µS/cm). This brought the pH to 7,86. Then, after half an hour I added the Nutrient Solution. 935 µL Nutri Forte A (specification attached to the comment) + 935 µL Nutri Forte B (specification attached to the comment). I stirred it. At the moment the EC showed 1203 µS/cm (1,203 mS/cm) and pH was 7,13. I added 80 µL Phosphoric acid (H3PO4) to adjust the pH. I stirred it. The EC at the moment showed 1205 µS/cm (1,205 mS/cm) and pH was 5,56 on 23,8 ºC.

The solution is in a Jar, not touching any plant only under pure air. The values changes by days:

Day0 - EC 1205 µS/cm | pH 5,56 | 23,8 ºC

Day1 - EC 1220 µS/cm | pH 5,81 | 22,0 ºC

Day2 - EC 1238 µS/cm | pH 6,01 | 21,5 ºC

Day5 - EC 1360 µS/cm | pH 4,02 | 21,9 ºC

I am asking your help figuring out how can I solve this. Should I raise the KHCO3? If yes, what should be the overall amount? What could be the problem?

q09kg6euyuw31.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom