Reversing an S1 to cross with an S1

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hey fam I’m trying some pollen chucking but have a hard time finding good easily digestible information on certain questions I have.

Reversing an S1 and crossing it to another S1 makes it an R1 cross right?

Do breeders make R1 crosses this way or should one steer clear of using 2 self pollinated (S1) strains to make an R1 cross? Thanks for any input guys. ✌️

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Reversing a S1 and hittin a S1 plant of the same line would create a S2, the next selfed gen.
Yes I understand that part I was asking about how risky it is to use two S1 strains to create a new cross thus making it an R1. When your reverse a female with another female that makes the R1. Correct me someone if I’m wrong

P

Pike

The R1 is basically an F1 except you use 2 females to make the cross
that would be my understanding, even though they are two selfed plants, different cultivars would be a F1 hybrid.
no biologist here, but I haven’t come across the R1 designation in any text I’ve read that I can remember.

my apologies for my ignorance

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Well here’s some on ethos website. They also have RBX (reverse back cross)
4E7277A0 3550 4004 8640 CEAE9EFA0BD9

P

phyllosphere

If you cross an S1 with another unrelated S1 you have made an F1 (First filial generation). Heterosis (hybrid vigour) would be restored, and there would be reasonable phenotypic consistency if the S1's (P1's in this case) were the progeny of inbred lines. RBX, BX etc are only used in cannabis (to my knowledge) Plant breeders refer to backcross generations as BC1, BC2, etc.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
If you cross an S1 with another unrelated S1 you have made an F1 (First filial generation). Heterosis (hybrid vigour) would be restored, and there would be reasonable phenotypic consistency if the S1's (P1's in this case) were the progeny of inbred lines. RBX, BX etc are only used in cannabis (to my knowledge) Plant breeders refer to backcross generations as BC1, BC2, etc.
Thanks for the input it seems hard to find good info on marijuana genetics without having to read thru pages and pages only to be half confused by the end of it.

I’m referring to reversing an S1 female and then applying that feminized pollen to another S1 female thus creating an R1 cross. Is there an easy way to look up if a strain is an IBL?

growsince79

growsince79

Thanks for the input it seems hard to find good info on marijuana genetics without having to read thru pages and pages only to be half confused by the end of it.

I’m referring to reversing an S1 female and then applying that feminized pollen to another S1 female thus creating an R1 cross. Is there an easy way to look up if a strain is an IBL?
Might check seed finder for lineage.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I will be reversing the winning pheno of my slurricane #7 phenohunt and reversing her onto my grape gas (CLTVTD cut)

P

phyllosphere

Unless you have reliable pedigree data for the germplasm in question, the only way to understand the extent to which a cannabis line has been inbred (IBL) is through progeny testing. If you make an S1, and the progeny are consistent in phenotypic expression, this would indicate that the plant that you selfed is highly homozygous, and likely the result of several generations of inbreeding. If the progeny of your S1 cross are highly variable, this would indicate that the parent plant (P1) is heterozygous, or not inbred.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
My guess is they are both f1 or f2 hybrids. Crossing would probably make phenos that are all over the place. Only one way to find out. Get the slurrygas going. 👍
I’m gonna dig a little deeper but making a stable cross wasn’t the overall goal I’m just trying to get my feet wet and learn and having variability is alright as I’m looking for a potential clone only mother that I created! If they are stable even better maybe ppl on the farm would be interested who knows. Slurri-Gas #7 could be something special and playing around and finding out is part of the fun!

So I’ll have to look up lineage but slurricane #7 s1 (dosidosXpurple punch) X grape gas s1 ( grape pieXjetfuelgelato)= Slurri-Gas #7 R1

Top Bottom