Reversing the light cycle.

• Thread starter Zimblow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zimblow

Zimblow

man, you could try to take some cuts from it and stick in a vase of water to propagate that way
works for me pretty well just takes longer
Thanks, I haven't tried plain water or plain soil, maybe I'll give them a try.
Cloning a flowering plant isnt really any harder than cloning a vegging plant but flowering plants will have far fewer branches that are suitable for cloning. It is not really beneficial to clone the plant while it is in flower, the clones will perform much better if cut from the plant after it has reverted to veg. If you want to keep the genetics there are really only two useful methods for you at this point, use the colloidal silver like bigcube mentioned and do it now so you have mature seeds ready when the plant is finished or reveg and clone after harvesting most of the plant like I have shown. Fwiw, I also chop the bottom 2/3 of my rootball before revegging but Im also in dwc, not sure what medium youre in.
I'm in soil at the moment, looking into other mediums.

Zimblow

Zimblow

But the branch will still be flowering. At this point his only option is to reveg. Don’t spray shit on it just harvest it and leave a few buds on it and revert it back to veg. Keep it simple.

You really should learn how to clone. It’s not hard. I have a step by step guide on here that works damn near 100%. It’s cheap and easy to do and will save your ass.

I feel like the level of practical grow comprehension on this forum has dwindled over the last few months. It’s frustrating.
I would hazard a guess, that it's an illusion, caused by a whole influx of new growers like myself that know nothing.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I wasn’t trying to take it out on you it was just an observation about this place in general over the last few months. The worst part is I see folks with little to no practical experience chiming in and handing out advice. That’s dangerous imo.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

But the branch will still be flowering. At this point his only option is to reveg. Don’t spray shit on it just harvest it and leave a few buds on it and revert it back to veg. Keep it simple.

You really should learn how to clone. It’s not hard. I have a step by step guide on here that works damn near 100%. It’s cheap and easy to do and will save your ass.

I feel like the level of practical grow comprehension on this forum has dwindled over the last few months. It’s frustrating.

Yeah, that's a failsafe way to clone a branch before putting it into reveg. Did you watch the video?

Zimblow

Zimblow

I wasn’t trying to take it out on you it was just an observation about this place in general over the last few months. The worst part is I see folks with little to no practical experience chiming in and handing out advice. That’s dangerous imo.
I hear you, and didn't take any offense. I always ask questions, it is the way I learn things. Back when I was at college, people used to snigger and moan at how many (stupid) questions I asked.

I got better marks than everyone else.

Stay safe in these troubled times. It's nice to have a hobby, and to actually be able to spend time doing it!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It's the combination of "That time of the year" and the influx of newer growers that decided to try out their skills for a big summer run. It does get frustrating when you answer the same question over and over... but I was there once and know how frustrating growing can be when you are clueless. My first plant didn't yield more than a few bowls worth of a bud... I get more off of bottom branches now, but I try to pass the torch, if possible and the grower at least seems to be trying.
I have also noticed a lot more one time members... those who join, ask a question on a few different sites, then you never hear or see them again. The group seemed to have more discussion among more experienced growers, but most threads tend to get polarized after a while as well. The way I see it... it's spring, everyone is going to be a farmer this year, and all of the current questions will change to questions about being "ready", drying, and curing. It follows the seasons.

Zimblow

Zimblow

It's the combination of "That time of the year" and the influx of newer growers that decided to try out their skills for a big summer run. It does get frustrating when you answer the same question over and over... but I was there once and know how frustrating growing can be when you are clueless. My first plant didn't yield more than a few bowls worth of a bud... I get more off of bottom branches now, but I try to pass the torch, if possible and the grower at least seems to be trying.
I have also noticed a lot more one time members... those who join, ask a question on a few different sites, then you never hear or see them again. The group seemed to have more discussion among more experienced growers, but most threads tend to get polarized after a while as well. The way I see it... it's spring, everyone is going to be a farmer this year, and all of the current questions will change to questions about being "ready", drying, and curing. It follows the seasons.

Here is my method for curing. Make one, and try it.

Very simple, you'll need;

About 50 cm of thin sisal string, the original string used in Malawi, comes from a savanna thorn bush. When it's wet, it's quite pliable but it shrinks as it drys and helps to compress the bud. I suppose you could use an elastic band or a rubber inner tube cut thinly.

A piece of the "bark" of a banana plant +/- 30cm long, it should NOT be dry, and still have some thickness to it.
I have seen many people say that one should use the skin from a corn cob. To the best of my knowledge and experience, these are not used in a 'genuine' Malawi style cure although I have seen them used both in Zimbabwe (where I grew up) and also in Mocambique - our gardener used to bring it back for me when he went to visit his family.

We always speculated that the juice from the banana bark impregnated the bud and boosted it's potency - who knows?

40 - 50g of good bud, preferably sun dried for a day or two, the twigs should be pliable but shouldn't snap or crack.

Wrap the bud in the banana bark and tie it into a "stick," wrapping the string as tightly as possible, in a spiral around it.

Bury it in the ground for 3 - 6 months, I have seen plastic bag cures and oven cures and many others that try to speed up the cure. In the end, there is NOTHING that can compare to the rich earthy flavour of a properly cured Malawi cob. The taste cannot be replicated in any other way.

Worth the wait....

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Here is my method for curing. Make one, and try it.

Very simple, you'll need;

About 50 cm of thin sisal string, the original string used in Malawi, comes from a savanna thorn bush. When it's wet, it's quite pliable but it shrinks as it drys and helps to compress the bud. I suppose you could use an elastic band or a rubber inner tube cut thinly.

A piece of the "bark" of a banana plant +/- 30cm long, it should NOT be dry, and still have some thickness to it.
I have seen many people say that one should use the skin from a corn cob. To the best of my knowledge and experience, these are not used in a 'genuine' Malawi style cure although I have seen them used both in Zimbabwe (where I grew up) and also in Mocambique - our gardener used to bring it back for me when he went to visit his family.

We always speculated that the juice from the banana bark impregnated the bud and boosted it's potency - who knows?

40 - 50g of good bud, preferably sun dried for a day or two, the twigs should be pliable but shouldn't snap or crack.

Wrap the bud in the banana bark and tie it into a "stick," wrapping the string as tightly as possible, in a spiral around it.

Bury it in the ground for 3 - 6 months, I have seen plastic bag cures and oven cures and many others that try to speed up the cure. In the end, there is NOTHING that can compare to the rich earthy flavour of a properly cured Malawi cob. The taste cannot be replicated in any other way.

Worth the wait....
A very interesting way to cure buds, although the fresh sisal and banana leaves are a bit difficult to get, at least where I am! Is the ground usually bone dry during the burial period, or is it suitable for use while waiting? The idea of moisture from rain is my reason for asking. How does the bud look when dried?
When I spent time in the Caribbean, I showed some of the local Rastas how I grew and cured. They loved the growing and the bud, but disliked the flavor of fresh-ish buds. In their traditional use, they mix it with tobacco, or at least these guys did, and the buds that were used were brown, like tobacco. To me, the buds looked like cheap commercial, but it was 100% sativa and had a pretty strong effect despite the appearance. When I showed up with a mason jar packed full of big green stinky buds, word got around and it turned into a sort of party/celebration. I almost missed the boat!!

Zimblow

Zimblow

A very interesting way to cure buds, although the fresh sisal and banana leaves are a bit difficult to get, at least where I am! Is the ground usually bone dry during the burial period, or is it suitable for use while waiting? The idea of moisture from rain is my reason for asking. How does the bud look when dried?
When I spent time in the Caribbean, I showed some of the local Rastas how I grew and cured. They loved the growing and the bud, but disliked the flavor of fresh-ish buds. In their traditional use, they mix it with tobacco, or at least these guys did, and the buds that were used were brown, like tobacco. To me, the buds looked like cheap commercial, but it was 100% sativa and had a pretty strong effect despite the appearance. When I showed up with a mason jar packed full of big green stinky buds, word got around and it turned into a sort of party/celebration. I almost missed the boat!!
Fresh sisal not necessary, any kind of twine/string will actually do.

Also, not banana leaves, it's the bark of the "tree" that you use.

The picture called "Malawi," is a picture, near as I can tell of the genuine article, you can see the texture of the wrapper is different to the one in the other picture called "cob-of-Malawi-Gold" (it likely isn't, but you can get a good idea of the texture from the picture.)

Malawi Gold, is called that for a reason, it is often very close in colour to straw and gives a nice sativa buzz.

Unless they've had people teaching them how to keep the males out, which is possible, Malawi is normally full of very large tan/beige seeds that are speckled with black or brown like a duck's egg. The seed colours are from memory but the gold, well, it's gold.

Neither of these pictures is mine, they have been used for educational purposes only. I intend no copyright infringement.

Cob of Malawi Gold 1024x769
Malawi
Zimblow

Zimblow

Do you think that birch bark would also work? There aren't many banana trees in North America. 😄

I would never have thunk!

Bananas don't really grow on trees, it's a kind of grass actually. pretty sure that people do have them there, maybe as ornaments in their gardens.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Bananas don't really grow on trees, it's a kind of grass actually. pretty sure that people do have them there, maybe as ornaments in their gardens.

No expert on bananas. However, I've always been told that Michigan climate is too cold for one. I'd want one where I could walk up to it and pick a nice ripe bunch to take in the house. (not an ornamental) We eat plenty of them!

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Corn husks are easy enough to find, especially as summer nears! Banana leaves also exist here at Southeast Asian grocery stores and at some Latino ones for tamales.

But birch, pine, and maple...🤔🤔🤔

Maybe even maple leaves tied up like a Thai stick.

Fuck I love this plant. There's so much experimenting to do!

Zimblow

Zimblow

No expert on bananas. However, I've always been told that Michigan climate is too cold for one. I'd want one where I could walk up to it and pick a nice ripe bunch to take in the house. (not an ornamental) We eat plenty of them!
As I said, bananas are like a kind of grass, they are an annual. Each "tree" only ever has one bunch which can get to be 60 or 70 kilos (130 - 150 lbs) You can actually see the binch growing up through the stem, it's quite an amazing thing to see. They propagate in much the same way as grasses, with "runners." You'll find baby banana plants growing out from the roots around the base of the mother.

Bananas have a lot of Potassium and are good when you need an energy boost. It was rumoured that there was some part of the plant that was capable of getting a person high.

We thought that was the reason the cobs were often so powerful.

Bananas

Latest posts

Top Bottom