Robz - O2 Generator – Do Sat Test Results

• Thread starter J Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

J Henry

timmur

timmur

Still waiting on Agrowtek for the DO probe. I will call them tomorrow and check on the status. Disappointing that it isn't posted on their site yet.

timmur

timmur

A word of potential caution regarding DO levels. I was informed by someone with a strong technical background in the agricultural industry that high DO levels (super saturated) in water culture can feed iron and magnesium loving bacteria that inevitably arise in the system. This may not be an issue with regular change-outs of nutrient solution, but I'm just throwing it out there for comment.

timmur

timmur

J Henry, what is your take on using ozone to provide DO vs the other approaches you've mentioned? can it be done without oxidizing the nutes?

J

J Henry

J Henry, what is your take on using ozone to provide DO vs the other approaches you've mentioned? can it be done without oxidizing the nutes?
I would not use O3 to increase (O2) DO for many reasons. O3 is a very powerful oxidizer, far more powerful than O2. O3 an excellent agent commonly used to kill micro-organisms and eliminate offensive odors and it very effective. Some municipal water departments use O3 in place of chlorine and chloramine as a disinfectant. O3 damaged and destroys cellular tissue in animals, microbes, plant tissue and rubber. Although Ozone’s half-life is short and it degrades relative fast, O3 would be a poor choice when the point is increasing DO. O3 is a respiratory hazard and very toxic, but it’s a great disinfectant. By the way, when you try to measure the DO in ozonized water, the DO meter pegs off the scale immediately.

The bacteria Thiobacillus ferrooxidans and Leptospirillum ferrooxidans love to eat iron, that’s their favorite food. They are a common in the water well industry. The higher the O2 concentration the greater the oxidizing potential, the quicker iron in reduced to rust. I can see why these iron eating bacteria love a high oxygen environment… the high oxidation potential with > O2 might make iron easier for them to digest. You’re source regarding these 2 specie has a point. I’m not familiar with these bugs

timmur

timmur

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of at least one company using ozone to provide DO in irrigation water. See the excerpt below from their site. Ken dog is using it as a disinfectant in his system, but not to specifically add DO. I was really attracted to the idea of using it for both purposes if that was possible. Probably not I'm guessing.
DRAMMwater uses ozone (O3) as our disinfection oxidizer of choice. Unlike other disinfectants and most other ozone systems, our ozonation system design and process leaves the water super-saturated with high levels of dissolved oxygen, as much as 12 times higher than normal saturation limits. Also, unlike most disinfectants, ozone will completely eliminate the biofilm including the biofilm matrix, and other bio-matter in the water, allowing the levels of dissolved oxygen to remain high.

http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=616

chillywilly

chillywilly

That's best for h2o IMHO... Been using all the time when I can... Nutes do very well in that and silica as a base... Does very good...

chillywilly

chillywilly

Not exactly... Using some John Ellis water when I can, but one gallon distilled with ozone water for 5 is good iffff u wanado dat to help to clarify the water...clarification is another type of thing if u want that...

palm eezy

palm eezy

These bacteria mentioned plus others are common in water sources. Chlorine, chloramines etc. for the most part neutralize them. Their levels can vary seasonally; I've observed (non-scientifically) the worst water conditions in the spring when the rates of aquifer recharge are the highest.

I use ozone bubbled through my holding tanks and it has done the trick. Simple and extremely effective.

Stuff like UC Roots helps to keep water-borne pathogens at bay. If your water is decent to begin with, it's probably all you need.

ken dog

ken dog

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of at least one company using ozone to provide DO in irrigation water. See the excerpt below from their site. Ken dog is using it as a disinfectant in his system, but not to specifically add DO. I was really attracted to the idea of using it for both purposes if that was possible. Probably not I'm guessing.

http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=616

It may not be as hard as first imagined... Apparently, I have the same link that you posted... Here it is again, and here is a fair use excerpt.
.http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=616
Fair use excerpt:

An Ozone system that is properly designed and controlled results in exceptionally high levels (supersaturation) of DO in the water

ken dog

ken dog

......... By the way, when you try to measure the DO in ozonized water, the DO meter pegs off the scale immediately......

Sounds like it will work to raise dissolved oxygen... I will let you know when I get my meter.

ken dog

ken dog

Here is another good article for this type of information.
.http://www.hortidaily.com/article/6...-from-clean-water,-increased-dissolved-oxygen

Fair use excerpt:
Ozone treatment is the best possible way we’ve found to simultaneously eliminate biofilm in the tanks and pipes, and to maintain high levels of dissolved oxygen. Constant monitoring helps determine the health of our water delivery pipeline; and the ozone treatment allows us to maintain dissolved oxygen levels far higher than otherwise possible in the irrigation water and that results in really great yields!" says Hagopian.

ken dog

ken dog

I may as well post this one as well... again though, care should be taken regarding nutrient levels with high oxygen levels... Much easier to burn plants as they will take up nutrients much easier.
.http://www.ballpublishing.com/GrowerTalks/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=22058

Fair use excerpt:
Ozonation is another method for increasing oxygen levels in solution. Like oxygen injection, injecting ozone gas will increase dissolved oxygen. However, ozone or O3 is almost 13 times more soluble in water than O2. This allows for much greater levels of oxygen to be dissolved into the water. As O3 is very unstable and reverts back to O2 quickly, it leaves super-saturated levels of dissolved oxygen in the water. As the system remains under pressure, the DO levels can be maintained at more than 300% of the saturation level of DO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom