Rockwool in Hydroton filled net pot?

• Thread starter TheColt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheColt

Do you put the rockwool on the very bottom of the pot? or bury it kinda in the middle?

Mind are about an inch up from the bottom of the net pot and are taking a while for the roots to reach the water....plants are all a little droopy. I raised the water level so the rockwool is touching the water because the cubes were dry when I pulled one out of the hydroton to check it.

F

farmseeker

I root in rockwool 4" cubes and then transfer to 10 inch netpots add 1 to 2 inches of hydroton then the cube and hydroton all around.... I start with the water about 1 inch up the side of the pot and let the water level go down and make the roots chase for the water.... My stones in each bucket are pumping so much air even if it is 2 to 3 inches below the basket they are getting splashed... I do also have a dripper system set up for when I first transplant and have it go on once a day for 15 minutes untill I see the pants perk up.... you will know when the roots hit the water, you will see sudden explosive growth!

C

crossouttheiis

You just need to figure out how high they need to be up so they will not wick up the water... that can lead to stem rot and the demise of your plants. I usually put my rockwool transfers about half way up to ensure this and just top feed until the roots hit the water about an inch or two up on the netpot

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

My last 2 grows I put a layer of hydroton on the bottom with with the water 1" above the bottom of the net pot and saw roots in 10 days. This grow I put the plant directly on the bottom of the net pot, with the water 1" above the bottom of the net pot and I had roots sticking out in 5 days. I think I will do it this way again.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

yo woodsman, so no root rot problems with the cubes sitting in water? I have 1" RW cubes, I really like them but I have never really used them before. I would think that as the entire cube isn't sticking in the water you would be fine..no?

I mean, if the bottom 1"of the stem is in water... who cares right?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Been lucky so far, but I am in dirt not RW. My expearence with RW is that it will stay saturated which is not the best thing for growing. Lots of guys here use RW and I think the guys at the front of the line do. DesertS JackM and others here. I have used them off and on but not crazy about them. I have 20 cuts in them now but not sure if I will put vthem in 4"RW or 6" dirt. It all depends on how these 2 grows start and so far I'm real happy as I got roots in 1/2 the time as before.

Just to be clear I start them at 1" above the bottom of the net pot and turn the auto fill off till it is 1" below the pot, then I adjust the auto fill and turn on. So they are covered for 5 to 8 days till the water drops. I just put 9 more in using the same method and it's been 4 days, so I'll have a look and see how they are doing, the others are at 10 days today. will get back to you on how they look and maybe pix.

Peace

U

unoeye

I am doing my first round without hydrotron in the net pot and I kinda like it. I used 4 inch blocks and vegged for a bit. I let the roots fill out the cubes before placed in pots and literally next day they were poking out.

I also kept the water just below the net pot for the splash effect and tried to force as many feeders out as I could.

After the roots got a decent size I have been running the water about a half inch from bottom of pot.

This was taken after prob 3 days in buckets.

roots14.jpg

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Well check my girls and the 10 day ones have good roots and the 4 day old's have just started and all have small roots. Not like above, dam that's great work for 3 days. That's what my look like after 7 or 8 days.

Top Bottom