Romberry by Freedom of Seeds

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Update: So not caused by the spikes, however the spikes do complicate the issue of over fertilization from the 20-20-20

20190711 064457

Tip burn was the first indicator, then this strange Mosaic leaf, then odd growth which I initially thought was TMV (I now suspect whats often called TMV may actually be a feeding issue?)

20190711 064424

The tip burn and one Mosaic Leaf were present before I put the spikes in

however the plant, obviously over fertilized is still being fed. No matter what I do it's going to get more of a feeding from the spikes ?!

So therein lies a major problem with spikes and why I suspect this method is not popular in the Cannabis community

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Update: So not caused by the spikes, however the spikes do complicate the issue of over fertilization from the 20-20-20

View attachment 880581

Tip burn was the first indicator, then this strange Mosaic leaf, then odd growth which I initially thought was TMV (I now suspect whats often called TMV may actually be a feeding issue?)

View attachment 880582

however the plant, obviously over fertilized is still being fed. No matter what I do it's going to get more of a feeding from the spikes ?!

So therein lies a major problem with spikes and why I suspect this method is not popular in the Cannabis community

I have seen these exact symptoms from overwatering and overnuting.

I spent a long time thinking mosaic virus too. And its amazing how growers confirm the tobacco thing even though its grower error.

I believe the mosaic pattern is a manganese deficiency. But like all “deficiencies” we see they are usually blocked or soggy roots and lockouts from nutrient conflicts.

My plants all grew out of it with proper care. I have not seen it spread but the first grow i did i got all the leaves on one plant to go mosaic.

Eventually flushed her out and she grew new leaves and continued growing. She was an autoflower northern lights. She ended up growing for over 4 months total and yielded a quarter pound dry.

Yes the auto recovered and re grew leaves and flowered almost 90 days. So much for the autoflower myths.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have seen these exact symptoms from overwatering and overnuting.

I spent a long time thinking mosaic virus too. And its amazing how growers confirm the tobacco thing even though its grower error.

I believe the mosaic pattern is a manganese deficiency. But like all “deficiencies” we see they are usually blocked or soggy roots and lockouts from nutrient conflicts.

My plants all grew out of it with proper care. I have not seen it spread but the first grow i did i got all the leaves on one plant to go mosaic.

Eventually flushed her out and she grew new leaves and continued growing. She was an autoflower northern lights. She ended up growing for over 4 months total and yielded a quarter pound dry.

Yes the auto recovered and re grew leaves and flowered almost 90 days. So much for the autoflower myths.
Agree. I also now believe so-called TMV has to do with nutrients.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

View attachment 880581

View attachment 880582

too late to edit above but I wanted to add that I would never put any plant that was showing issues into flower.

However as I mentioned in an earlier post this plants fate was the compost pile or the spike grow LOL

I'm leaving it in bloom for now to see how it goes but if it gets any worse I'm going to scrap the project :/

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So here it is today, your guess is as good as mine? It's been topped a million times so can't begin to count how many tops there are now, I don't know what the hell is going on with this and I don't know what the spikes are doing ..but I do know why nobody uses them now
20190803 082516

Edit: I checked and I put the 4-4-4 in on the 8th of last month, pretty sure the bag recommends reapplying every 30 days so I have the Jobe's Tomato formula spikes ready to go within the next week ..countdown to action!

The reason I wanted to do this with the romberry is because it's the most bulletproof plant I've grown yet

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

So here it is today, your guess is as good as mine? It's been topped a million times so can't begin to count how many tops there are now, I don't know what the hell is going on with this and I don't know what the spikes are doing ..but I do know why nobody uses them nowView attachment 885458

Edit: I checked and I put the 4-4-4 in on the 8th of last month, pretty sure the bag recommends reapplying every 30 days so I have the Jobe's Tomato formula spikes ready to go within the next week ..countdown to action!

The reason I wanted to do this with the romberry is because it's the most bulletproof plant I've grown yet
Many moons ago I had one outside my bedroom window that I topped and pucked the leaves couple times a week trying to make it look like a bush. It was a big round hedge. Still looked like what it was. Took three of us a week to trim it all a couple hours every night. Worth every second.😉

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Many moons ago I had one outside my bedroom window that I topped and pucked the leaves couple times a week trying to make it look like a bush. It was a big round hedge. Still looked like what it was. Took three of us a week to trim it all a couple hours every night. Worth every second.😉
OMG! I literally just got the light off my ceiling last run! I was going to be all about short bushy plants, but now I've got this one monster and everything else is once again up on different levels of milk crates!

Had to keep cutting it to hold it back till I got room, like just one topping less would have been okay but this is going to be a horror show!

although the spikes seem to be doing a great job (idk) it's a beautiful plant it's looking good except it's a freaking nightmare of tops it's going to be a hard tangle to spread out! If I'd had room I'd toss in a three-by-three net it would fill it right out :/

I'll get a better picture if I take it out, it's already wired to the tent post LOL so I don't mess with it much

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

FINALLY A NEGATIVE..! :)

Just spotted it now because it was all the way in the tent on the far side of the plant two leaves definite calcium issues and a few others with little calcium speckles I treated soil with 1tbs. dolomite

Too close to lights off now but when they come back on I'm going to spray her down with calimag, & will spray again in 24 hours and this minor issue should be resolved

Her run off today was 6.4/1038 PPM, perfect! She's big girl too! 🌲

Humm.? Can't upload a current picture right now, keep getting server error ??
Not sure if it's me or the site I'll try again later

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I meant to get a picture of this girl today after watering but forgot, she's filling in nicely with dozens of budding Tops, the only thing she's got going on is I believe it was mag issue it could be also be Cal but anyway she's got the Tomato spikes & she's been getting sprayed with cal-mag and I did put extra c/m in her water today as well, besides that she's a happy healthy girl, I'll get a picture of her all budded up soon

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I meant to get a picture of this girl today after watering but forgot, she's filling in nicely with dozens of budding Tops, the only thing she's got going on is I believe it was mag issue it could be also be Cal but anyway she's got the Tomato spikes & she's been getting sprayed with cal-mag and I did put extra c/m in her water today as well, besides that she's a happy healthy girl, I'll get a picture of her all budded up soon
I missed a weeks pics and she's really filled out

20190830 062131

4 Jobes Tomato spikes went in 10 days ago, she's been treated several times for Cal Mag issue (I forget which it was, I have it in my notes but it was one or the other so I used calimagic) which seems to have stopped it; if not I'll keep spraying her LOL

If I had paid some attention that issue might not have even happened so ya, this went pretty easy so far..

but I can't emphasize enough how bulletproof Romberry is!

I would not have had anywhere near this success with any other strain that I currently have, and from my own observations I can't think of any other strain that I've run that's anywhere near as resilient

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Update: nothing new she's doing fine (maybe I should grow everything with spikes??) 🤔
20190908 083152

Can't tell from my crappy pictures but looks like the minor calcium issue is stopped, looks like all damage is old and she's holding all her leave & is still green, she got sprayed with a precautionary cal-mag mix this morning after watering just in case (those are mostly water spots you see in the picture, not calcium spots)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

quick update (with terrible pictures)

So she's got problems (and so do I for ever attempting this LOL)
20190917 072031
she's the yellowest girl in the garden and she's definitely got some calcium spotting. I probably could have fed more Cal Mag but here we are..

She's under sized even for the big tree she normally grows into, her buds are tiny, I'm hoping she fills out in the next week - 10 days, going to chop her ASAP believe me!

I won't try this again and if I'm honest it wasn't that much fun either! I have taken her out of the garden once & I've looked at her about a handful of times total.

She's going to finish but Romberry is normally a big plant & heavy producer but this plant, not so much :/

this is also the first spike-grow Journal I've ever found on the internet where somebody actually (almost) got to the Finish Line, so I guess that's why I kept it up, but I'm not doing it again forget about it

Edit to add: if I had tried this with any other strain I don't think it would have survived. this is the most bulletproof plant I've ever seen by far, and I also would recommend Romberry for a beginner's first grow, its Great Smoke and very hard to kill it!

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Now Jobe's spiked grow featuring Romberry by freedom of seeds is in the closet getting 24 hours of dark, not because I do that before I harvest, but only because it frees up some room

20190927 063223

Really not much to say; she went into flower on 7-7 and she will be harvested this weekend

pretty uneventful grow, could of used more Jobes Tomato spikes to finish, likely better than the three or four Jobes all purpose 4-4-4 's I used at the end because I ran out of the tomato spikes

There's some yellow leaves w/ a few calcium spots, I sprayed her down a handful of times with cal/mag but I let her yellow the last week or so

She's fine, the spikes worked fine and I'll never do this again. Thanks for following and hope you enjoyed it and if you have any questions forget about it. good luck

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So this was grown under 600 watts instead of 1000hps because of summer heat it's more Airy than normal for that reason, smells and smokes normal, I just smoked some and it's as good as any other from the same clone I keep

20191003 130625

The yield was about two and a half Zips which is about an ounce low but I think that was due to the lower light and higher temperatures more than the Spikes all in all I don't think the spikes are a bad way to go

But I like to write everything down, what I feed, what I do, what I need to do and in this case it was just pour water in pour water in pour water in and it got kind of boring :/ although it would be a lot less work, wouldn't it? Humm? I may have to rethink this?!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

👍 Total weight was 96 grams, but that includes your basic gallon Ziploc bag and a couple of bodiva pack too

It's close to 3 Zips which surprised me, it's good looking and smoking nice too

..so it's thumbs up for the spikes!

END

(Yay!!! I've actually finish something on the internet! LOL) 😁🤣😁🎆🎉🎉

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

👍 Total weight was 96 grams, but that includes your basic gallon Ziploc bag and a couple of bodiva pack too

It's close to 3 Zips which surprised me, it's good looking and smoking nice too

..so it's thumbs up for the spikes!

END

(Yay!!! I've actually finish something on the internet! LOL) 😁🤣😁🎆🎉🎉

Congrats!

Top Bottom